Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

severe shin pain - CEM pls help!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, went to get fitted for some new boots today after using hiring ill fitting boots in the past. Saw a reputable boot fitter and straight away getting pain on my right shin. i seem to recall having been kicked in this shin playing sports when i was younger in this spot. tried a few things including putting something under my heels to raise them as well as a sort of shin guard but nothing seems to have helped and ended up not purcashing any boots. tried one pair of boots jsut before leaving and they seemed better but my shin was already so sore i dodnt want to buy a pair by this point today.
anyway can anyone recommend a way to prevent this. bootfitter suggested a foam insert under my sock to displace the pressure, habing researched some people suggest a gel insert/ tongue "elliminator" or a "booster strap". bit stuck with this so any help appreciated. bootfitter suggested to have an xray/scan done as he thinks the tibia may have been fractured many years ago and there is now a calcification in that area.
any thoughts/suggestions? CEM?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 17-03-10 23:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What triggered the pain? Just standing still in the boots?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
as soon as i was flexing forward right shin was getting bruised. took the boots off and the area was very inflamed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mmdpkaaa, probably a bit over the top to get a x ray/bone scan

was there a footbed in the boot while you were trying it, often pressure like this comes from the foot pronating in the boot as there is no support .... exactly where is the pressure, is it on the big tendon (tibilais anterior) which stickes out in front of your ankle.... if this protrudes it can be a source of pain... need to remove the trigger which causes it to fire

i am away right now so won't be able to check in that often for the next week
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, thanks for the reply. I have purchased some Atomic Hawx 80's couple of days ago. The bootfitter - Mike from LD Mountain centre sorted me out. I was given a "ski angel" gel pad to put on my shins under my socks and this seemed to alleviate the shin bang. A green superfeet footbed was also put in for me. Anyway been wearing the boots around the house the last couple of days and the problem area now seems to have move from my shin to my ankle. Id describe it as being to the right of my malleolus of my right leg. The boot seems to dig in here and is quite sore - shins are fine however. have tried different socks and looseing the buckle slights etc but still quite painful. can you suggest a remedy?
i do pronate quite alot - would a conformable footbed be better for me insead of the superfeet?
thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mmdpkaaa, forget brand but you probably need more support than you are getting form the superfeet green insole, the shell may also require a small stretch if the ankle bone is sitting close to it, all very difficult to say without seeing the foot and boot..... bear in mind that a badly made conformable footbed will give less support than the superfeet off the shelf product, the key is how the product is made not what product it is
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy