Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich airport to soll

Poster: A snowHead
hello I'm new!
I have sneaked in a cheeky extra weekend trip for next Friday To Monday leaving on the Friday evening gatwick to Munich plane arriving at 21 25. I am going hand luggage only so will try to be away from the plane as quickly as possible.
My options for getting to soll are either by train or car hire as private taxi for 1 is too dear!
The train leaves the terminal station at 22 04 and is the last train of the night to get me to kufstein for midnight. Do you think I would be cutting it fine for getting that train? as if the plane is delayed there is no buffer time, especially as this is the last train that night. I don't want to stay the night on a platform! The train is eur 45 rtn and taxi from Kufstein to Soll is about eur 25
Failing that a car rental is coming out at £90 through budget but I'm sure I will get stung for extras such as winter tyres etc even though it's not mentioned on the booking form. Any one know if and how much they may charge?

Also if anyone is in soll from next Saturday (20/03) and would like to meet up for a some skiing and/or beer let me know.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 13-03-10 11:21; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Firstly, welcome to snowheads.

Not been to Munich for a while, but it is a huge airport. I would have thought that having only half an hour or so from nominal landing time to last train was cutting it a bit fine. My memories of Munich car hire are that it is pricey, so you seem to have done well. The only extras I recall (but it was October) were the usual top-up insurances.

I think I would go with the car if I were you. Your weekend might be spoiled by time anxieties otherwise.

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that, pretty much what i thought. So will probally hire a car.
Next question is my return plane leaves Munich at 21 55 so i guess i need to drop a hire car by 20 30. Would leaving Soll between 16 30-17 00 be enough time allowing for Monday evening traffic?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's really quick and easy to get form Munich airport to the train station - you just go downstairs! You should only have proble,ms if the plane is delayed.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
it's springtime, forget the winter tyres. Flughafen to Soll is mostly motorway, your unlikely to need winter tyres. It is raining in Munich tonight and 2degC

Are you sure about the trains. The only train I saw at the airport was an s-bahn that takes you to Munich central, then you get a normal train from there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes the train takes you to munich ost and you have to change there for another train to Kufstein via rosenheim. The later train at 23 00 will get you as far as rosenheim at midnight with the next train at 6 am to kufstein. Its a pity as would sooner train it, but it seems as though I might be better car hiring it as i dont want to get on the plane and find it delayed later than the train. But knowing my luck , if i decide to go by car the plane will probally land earlier !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
39min from landing to train is pushing it. You could be on a bus from the aircraft depending on the airline, and form arrivals to S-bahn is 5min + ticket purchase.

What airline is it? if it is easyjet, you will waste 15min on the bus as they park away form the arrivals area.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yes its sleazy jet. Not going to bother with the train now as too much of a gamble

thanks for the info

Can Any one help with the other question re rush hour traffic returning to the airport on Monday night
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

forget the winter tyres.
Quote:

your unlikely to need winter tyres

Hmm, not so sure.

The following is an extract from a website giving advice on driving in Austria:

Mandatory Winter Equipment:
In winter conditions the use of four winter tires or snow chains on at least two tires is now mandatory in Austria between 1 November and 15 April.

We hired a car last weekend in Austria and were charged extra for the cost of winter tyres as a "not very optional if you are going to Austria" extra. The irony is you don't need them in Germany as they are not a legal requirement there. We were charged €15 a day for the tyres.

Having said that, Mountainaddict went last weekend and managed to get by without winter tyres for 4 days in Austria - and he didn't get caught!

He travelled back to Munich during Monday evening rush hour so will hopefully be along soon to comment on his journey. From what I recall the drive from Mayrhofen to Munich airport took him about 2.5 hours after leaving Mayrhofen at 5pm after skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dont forget if going to soll you get off the austrian autobahn at kufstien and do NOT need to buy the vignette
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for the heads up on the winter tyres , its only a short run from the border to soll but prob not worth the risk so will get winter tyres for hire car. I am going via kufstein as i did when i drove from the uk in Janurary so will not need vignette Very Happy

So will leave soll by 5 pm and should make it for the 21 55 flight easily

thanks for help everyone
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Powderseeker, I would leave a wee bit earlier if you want to be safely back in time. I've just come in from a weekend in the snow and the navi was showing that the A93 (Kufstein to Rosenheim) was packed. The radio was saying 13kms of traffic jam. It only takes one shunt and the whole bloody stretch backs up. Lots of Bavarians have rental apartments in the Tirol and go away for the weekend or maybe just a day's skiing on Sundays. There was a lot of traffic coming from Salzburg and when those two flows meet up, it does not take long for it all to go pear-shaped. The Munich outer ring road also gets heavy traffic on Sunday evenings as well.

Sleazy-Jet want you to check in 90 minutes before the flight doesn't it? So if you count back on your departure time you should allow 2.5 hours from Söll to the airport. I've just checked the traffic page for the Bavarian police and the traffic is running smoothly now on both sides of the border.

I'm in Sportwelt Amadé for a week as of next Saturday, otherwise I would have popped down for a slide or two in Söll. Have a great weekend. It might be a bit slushy at the bottom if it continues to be as warm. We had 6°C at the bottom of St Johann im Pongau today and it was very heavy for the last few hundred metres.

snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sue,
what is the website for the Bavarian police traffic? I usually use http://www.bayerninfo.de
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Powderseeker, you can get a transfer for 1 person for €98 return - http://www.airport-transfer.com
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevev wrote:
it's springtime, forget the winter tyres. Flughafen to Soll is mostly motorway, your unlikely to need winter tyres. It is raining in Munich tonight and 2degC
rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
Not good advice! It's snowing in Munich today as I look out of my window! Was chucking it down all the way home from Kleinwalsertal yersterday. If you have an accident and don't have winter tyres on they will skin you alive!
latest report
Steilhang, Totally agree - I've just arrived in work after battling through zero in in places due to driving snow, spray from the roads and idiots in Munich pushing and shoving at traffic lights.

It took 45 minutes to drive from SE of Rosenheim to the edge of Munich, then the best part of an hour to cross the city because of the selfish way many of the city drivers believe that they have divine right of way! Even the snow ploughs and salters were not being allowed to take the priority over some fat cats from Starnberg who were ambling into wherever! Luise-Kisselbach-Platz was a disaster area with people seemingly ignoring the lights and driving across the flow of traffic to get to their particular exit!

I must admit to finding the advice often given to people by others who only visit the Alps for maybe one or two weeks a year complete nonsense. The rule in Austria is, without exception winter equipment from November 15th and April 15th. You may strike lucky and get away with it, but the consequences of it all going pear-shaped are all too evident and can prove very expensive in all ways, financially, emotionally as well as physically!

stevev, Yes that is my main site for the traffic news for Bavaria - you can switch to English and get the map showing exactly where hold-ups are. Ö3 (OE3) has a similar site for Austria.
snow report
Ok maybe your right, but the forecast for the weekend in the Söll area is 14-16degC and sunny.

I know a lot who don't swop, but they are on UK insurance and cars, not German hire cars. I swopped mine to winter tyres, but only so I didn't miss out on winter ski days.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy