Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Don't like my watea 78's, so what else?

Poster: A snowHead
Quiet at work today so Very Happy

Have been skiing my watea 78's (174) this season, purchased them to ski with my daughter (9 yrs), but have ended up skiing them most days due to a damaged knee as they are easier then my fischer kehua twins. (177)

Liked them at first, but have now found (as the knee has got betterish) they have a definite speed limit, good in bumps (which is their best point), tips get deflected in marbles and cruddy snow. Worst was gers bowl in flaine with breakable crust on the top of powder and they were all over the place, felt very unstable.

Edge grip in soft groomed snow is very good, but as soon as it is icy or variable they flap. (tuned 3 degrees side, 1 degree base) They also feel very short??

so what else to choose?

Me 5 foot 9, 12 stone. want an all mountain ski in the 75 to top 80's mm width. Want more stability, but still need to be able to ski with daughter, shes not slow now, so moderate speeds and up. More edge grip then the 78's, and not get deflected all the time. (edited later: can't be a twin)

Have tried scott mission (178) (brill in soft snow, slushy bumps, bit grabby off piste, but not good on hard pack at all, tip flapped all over the place)

Also had a pair of the orange legend 8000's that i really liked, but they were a bit short at 165 and sank off piste, something like them in a 178 may be better??

I like light skis, and have seen some movement black roses (yes i know its a womens ski, but apparently its a softer thunder) but they are in 185 which may be a bit long?

suggestions of others to look at very welcome, preferably in the upcoming end of season sales.

don't need bindings as my fks120 will go on (brakes may need bending again!)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 12-03-10 17:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carroz, High Society Freerides? Definetely less flappy than the Mission!

Length Tip Waist Tail Sidecut
179 cm 124 mm 92 mm 114 mm 21.7 m
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, Thanks, but i forgot something a bit important...(as well as nearly forgetting to pick her up from school today!)

I also forgot to say they cannot be a twin as daughter quietly objects to getting sprayed with snow....can't think why? Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
K2 Explorer's, last year's version with the 78mm waist.

For your height and weight I'd go with the 170cm.

Next season's Head iTitan looks very promising.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61979
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dynastar Sultan 85s? Replacement of the Legend 8000, better at carving on piste (more sidecut), better float in the soft stuff (fatter), still great in the bumps and crud. Not so good on proper ice though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
carroz wrote:

Also had a pair of the orange legend 8000's that i really liked, but they were a bit short at 165 and sank off piste, something like them in a 178 may be better??

You can get the Sultan 80 in 178cm.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wouldn't go for the Sultan 80 - they took the metal layers out so it's pretty soft now, and is the replacement of the L4800 or whatever it was. The Sultan 85 has kept it's metal though, and replaces the L8k.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
carroz wrote:
kitenski, Thanks, but i forgot something a bit important...(as well as nearly forgetting to pick her up from school today!)

I also forgot to say they cannot be a twin as daughter quietly objects to getting sprayed with snow....can't think why? Puzzled

they don't spray..... Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, and others thanks for the suggestions, sultan 85 looks good in a 178, if i can find them flat, also have thought of watea 84, but another thread suggests it is softer than the mission?

Have not looked at k2's for years (last ones were patriot g5 in a 181 which is a GS ski, really liked them until a rock in tignes tore 50cm of edge off)

Would the black roses in 185 be too long?, as they do fit the bill performance wise, Have used a 94mm fischer misfit in 182 (but thats a twin) and it didn't seem that long. well sort of...after i got used to it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elan Magfires?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HEAD i.Supershape Titan. So good I've bought a pair. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

sultan 85 looks good in a 178, if i can find them flat

Google Lockwoods, they sell 'em flat.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, Had a look at lockwoods, £400 inc bindings,Shocked will see what they will do without bindings

do lockwoods have a end of season sale?? Puzzled Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Head Supershapes may be too stiff, and going to a 85 mm waist might take some using to (and I don't think he will enjoy them on piste with a buggered knee)
I'd try the Head Peak 78, or an Atomic Nomad Blackeye (maybe TI version) or an Atomic D2 VC 82, they are light and easy to ski, like the Fischers, but better on-piste (much better IMV)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carroz wrote:
clarky999, Had a look at lockwoods, £400 inc bindings,Shocked will see what they will do without bindings

do lockwoods have a end of season sale?? Puzzled Very Happy

Yep - before the start of last season I got a pair of 07/08 legend 8000's (in summer '0Cool from them for £300 (which turned into 08/09 one's at no extra cost after a problem drilling the bindings, then into the Sultans at no extra cost when the l8ks delammed - score!).

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 17-04-11 10:52; edited 2 times in total
latest report
clarky999, Thanks, think I will wait till a sale, as wateas are ok at the moment, just.

Also I have a railflex plate and binding and was wondering if putting that on them would stiffen them up??
ski holidays
carroz wrote:

The HSFR's are a semi twin & don't spray.
snow report
The Black Rose has a very girly graphic, can you get them in 185, I'd be surprised. Best I've skied this year of that ilk are MX88, they are worth the hype and money.
snow conditions
carroz,
Quote:
...speed limit, good in bumps (which is their best point), tips get deflected...breakable crust on the top of powder and they were all over the place, felt very unstable.

...icy or variable they flap...feel very short??

Me 5 foot 9, 12 stone. want an all mountain ski in the 75 to top 80's mm width. Want more stability, but still need to be able to ski with daughter, shes not slow now, so moderate speeds and up. More edge grip then the 78's, and not get deflected all the time. (edited later: can't be a twin)

...I like light skis...

don't need bindings as my fks120 will go on (brakes may need bending again!)

Sounds like you want something longer and wider than 174cm and 78mm, say 175-180cm and mid80s mm, but stiffer as well. It's the lighter bit that won't fit. What ski radius do you want? I'd imagine from what you don't like about the Watea 78 you want stiffer and less turny, so maybe K2 Explorer in 177cm, Dynastar Sultan 85 in 178cm, Atomic Nomad Crimson in 176cm, Nordica Hot Rod Afterburner in in 178cm?

HTH snowHead
snow report
slikedges, You are correct regarding length as about 180 ish, that is the length i am thinking of. I quite like turny skis, as thats what i tend to do skiing, turn alot!, wateas have a radius of 17m, which is fine. They just make me very nervy as they feel quite unstable on anything that is not nice and soft and well groomed, lovely cruising ski, and have improved my bump skiing (even with a dodgy knee), but as soon as you go quick or drive the ski it feels as if the skis start to "vanish". and they feel short i.e not much ski in front of you.

I want a ski that will allow me to ski with daughter in morning which will be groomed reds, plus some bumps as she likes them Puzzled and the odd bit of easy powdery stuff. Then afternoon when i am on my own & go anywhere (and have not changed to kehuas 177cm full twin radius 19m 92mm centre, they just make my knee a bit tired at the moment as they are brill off piste, just a bit tank like on piste and you have to work them, but they have loads of spring (and feel much longer than the wateas)).

I have been thinking about the scott mission again, and wondering if the flappy bit I mentioned was because they were knackered (they had done many many weeks before i got them). I liked how they turned quick, seemed fast edge to edge (compared to kehuas) and they were fantastic at the end of the season in slush and good in bumps.

Have never ever skied an atomic (have looked at atomic snoop in 176, but its a huge 96mm centre) or a nordica before, the dynastar is a thought as my 8000 were great, a modern K2, from what i have read is quite damp?

So what do i want? Light, springy, and able go all mountain inc bumps, some off piste but nothing deep, turn radius 15 to 18m, not get deflected by rough terrain, crust, slush etc so not much really! Very Happy would a brand new mission do that?

(sorry for all the verbage!)
ski holidays
carroz, I'd still rate the Sultan 85 (though it was its predecessor I skied), also how about Head Peak 82 (again it was the Monster version I skied)? Others to think about might be the Scott Neo or Mission or Movement Yaka Jam? All of these are a bit wider than the Watea 78 and are really quite good on piste too.
latest report
Thanks all for advice, found a really good deal on some missions in 178 (decided on the beast i partly knew), so we will see what they are like in a couple of weeks (if it doesn't all melt with this warm weather!)
snow report
carroz, I found my missions got flappy at high speeds......
snow report
kitenski, High society FR's looked good, but i have never skied them, and after having a few disasters buying various skis untested (2 plank like volkls come to mind) decided a new mission would be ok for what i want to use it for. My old ones were very tired even before i got them. Even they were much less wobbly than the 78's. Anyway done it now, so no going back..... Very Happy
snow report
carroz, just don't ski as fast.....
ski holidays
I have skied the Snoop in the snowdome and thought they were really nice skis. Very easy to turn and and felt much quicker edge to edge than you would think, didn't ski like 96 under foot at all. I'm not very good at describing what I like in skis but to me these felt light and springy, I skied the 176cm.
snow report
lynseyf, Thank you for your comment, if i can find some in the alps i will see if i can get hold of a demo pair.
snow report
Hi If you are still in the market for a pair of skis, I have a pair of Volkl AC30 177/78 for sale looking for £200 plus postage. They are in good condition only selling because they are to long for me as I have skied 165 prior to buying these. They are a really good skis used them this year in the 4 valleys mostly off piste skiing all the itineraries and I am a 60 year 5'8
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carroz wrote:

Tell daughter to Man Up (in a feminine sort of way) and that it's all about the faceshots. Then after she's calmed down, buy what you want.
latest report
Quote:

Tell daughter to Man Up (in a feminine sort of way) and that it's all about the faceshots

Shocked
snow report
clarky999, Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy