Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help needed with planning a ski holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I are planning our first Ski holiday. I am originally from Australia and my wife South Africa, snow is a little foreign to us both:) Any comments and suggestions welcome regarding when is the best time to start planning a ski holiday, when to go and what to budget for. Also locations suggestions can be helpful too. Thanks a million.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 17-03-10 12:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Chris, what type of thing are you looking for? I am guessing that you would need a good beginners area but what else are you looking for? Is budget an issue? Nightlife? Hotel vs Self Catering? With a few more details there will be loads of people on here who will be able to give some good advice.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi chris12, where would you be travelling from - presumably UK? If you have never skied before, it can be useful to book a package so that things such as transfers to/from the airport, booking equipment, advising on lift passes (not all beginners need a lift pass, in all resorts) are taken care of as that can all be a bit daunting the first time.

If you are not tied to school holidays and want to keep the costs down, early to mid January or mid to late March, can be good times to go - quieter slopes, lower prices, usually good conditions. Unless you especially want to be away for Christmas/New Year, I'd suggest avoiding as all the above benefits are reversed! If you DO want to be away for New Year, look at higher altitude resorts as snow can be a bit dodgy early season.

If there are only two of you, you can afford to wait a while before booking, using the time to research what is out there and where you fancy. Do you want chocolate-box pretty or cutting edge modern? Traditional Alpine or funky? Self-catered apartment, catered chalet or a hotel. If you have any preferences or ideas of what you would like, get back here and we'll have lots of suggestions for you Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi chris12,

As written by others, low season holidays with tour operators, which could include Learn to Ski packages - lessons, ski and boot hire, and lift pass - for discounted prices would be a great way forward. That way, on a half-board holiday, you only have to budget in resort for lunch on the mountain and apres-ski.

I don't know if it would influence you, but the Austrian resort of St. Johann in Tirol is visited by large groups of South African first-time skiers with Beachcomber / Snowcomber Tours. They learned quickly due to the gentle slopes and excellent ski tuition. St. Johann also used to have numerous Australian season staff, including the Aussie owned Bunnys Pub. So you should feel right at home.

It's a great resort for beginners with charm and atmosphere, and a warm Austrian welcome, which I would highly recommend for first timers. Best in late January as it has a short season.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

So you should feel right at home.

On the other hand, you might prefer to feel somewhere else. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's a fair point Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would also recommend Austria for a first ski trip - their tuition is excellent and when I took my 2 kids (they were 7 and 9) and we were all beginners, it was great for learning about the mountain and they did 2 hours morning and 2 hours afternoon which meant you were "looked after" almost all day !! Someone else worrying about which slopes to go down! Austria is also very pretty and if you might also get great nightlife !! Better than France. I would recommend catered chalets as they're more sociable than hotels - (or small guesthouses) in chalets, everyone tends to eat at a large table and generally a bit more personable. It's a case of finding a good beginner's resort obviously (or rather avoiding resorts not aimed at beginners !!) If you're looking to book for next few weeks, you'll need to find somewhere high though. Look at Ski Club of Great Britain for more advice on pros and cons of different resorts !! And enjoy your first ski trip - you'll have great fun !!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why not consider a beginners trip with Spice> Check out their website - www.spiceuk.com - you will be in great company with other beginners and also enjoy the apres ski!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy