Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

will my old boots fit the new skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off to the slopes after a ten year break and I realise that equipment has moved on alot since I last went, sounds like the skis now have power steering or something(?) but are the bindings the same as ever? Will by old boots (Salomon SX92) fit the skis?? Wondering if it's worth taking them? I got on well with them at the time and know no different Very Happy
Would be keen to hear if anyone has had any difficulties, thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kapow, They'll fit fine. Whether they're good for you is a different matter....Rear entry boots tend not to be well fitted. If you're using SX92s you (at least then) think (thought) you know a bit about how to ski. But, even "high" end rental boots probably won't help.

Try the Salomons [certainly no problems with "modern" bindings, things haven't changed that much, if at all], if you have problems, rent and think about new boots.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, that's helpful.
Quote:

you (at least then) think (thought) you know a bit about how to ski.

Maybe?! but I got them off someone else (for £20 in resort when my rental boots were killing me and these were great!) so I may not know as much as it would look like?! I've done about 10 weeks' skiing spread out over the years and I'm hoping to start again (with kids this time).
I will take them but maybe I'll treat myself to a new pair out there.
Thanks for your reply.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kapow, if you can afford to treat yourself and you will be getting back in to skiing do buy some. Good ski boots are key to good and comfortable skiing. Your boots were the nutz when they were out, these days you will feel like you are skiing in an 80s Skoda, not even the new rebadged VWs.

I would say don't bother, it's not worth lugging them around with you.

Have a search through this section to find some good boot fitting advice, it's essential reading...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kapow wrote:
the skis now have power steering or something(?)

No..... you will still have to turn them somehow Very Happy

Quote:
Will my old boots (Salomon SX92) fit the skis??

Depends on their colour. Are they Grey or White wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
parlor wrote:
you are skiing in an 80s Skoda, not even the new rebadged VWs.

HEY! Evil or Very Mad Nothing wrong with '70s and '80s Škodas!

Lookit how well I turned out... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Better not let my husband read this thread - might give him ideas - we've got a 10 year old Skoda!!
And my boots are white wink
oh, so am I better off in rental boots to start with?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kapow wrote:

If you own skis, and are looking for a relaxing tourist holiday, then, possibly not.

If you own skis, and are looking for large improvements this season (unlikely: you've left it late), then you should get new boots.

If you do not own skis, then yes, you would be quite probably better off in rental boots.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kapow wrote:
Better not let my husband read this thread - might give him ideas - we've got a 10 year old Skoda!!
And my boots are white wink

Oooops. I did say '80s though!

Just rent...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've seen an old plastic boot disintegrate in use e.g. a binding release where the foot and boot release from the binding but the sole remains in the binding, the brakes don't deploy and the ski runs off. Its pretty funny and when you've retrieved the ski you better have a good roll of duct tape with you if you're high on the mountain wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kapow, get some new boots or rental ones, the early Salomon rear entry boots were more of a marketing job at the time back in the early 80's to establish Salomon as a international brand, which worked well for them!!

I remember all to well back in the 80's trying to get people to ski in the correct position and if we saw people in Salomon rear entry boots we just about gave up.

However just to make myself look stupid I still use my Dachstein V4's on new ski's OK I hear many comments but they still do more than modern boots!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski, the early Salomon ones (SX90), circa 1985 certainly were tricky, even the grey ones were too stiff for most people (although Marc Girardelli (IIRC) managed a tolerably successful WC career in them). By the SX92 (~1990) they were getting better. And you had 5 forward lean positions from nearly upright to nearly horizontal to choose from.

Errr, just what do your Dachstein's do that modern boots don't?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, good point on the sx90 v the sx92 agree on that one although the level of better is up for discusion.

mmm Dachstein OK fully adjustable for forward lean, fully adjustable for forward flex, cant adjustment, a proper walk function, cuff section flex without disortion to the lower boot, with enough room for the forward flex of cuff without lower boot contact or deformation,

Easy update and adjustment, on the downside they have lasted 25 years without ever going wrong plus they had full water emmersion i.e. water ramp jumping for 2 summers

One problem they did have was that some blew up around the rear spring flex system, I have spotted quite a few V4's still in use not the later ones with dayglo colours but the nice white/grey red ones like mine most people never notice them because they still look like the Atomic boots around today.

OK shoot me down in flames!!, maybe I should have said that my Look 99s binings on my old ski's are also just as good as new bindings Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy