Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how to become an off piste guide?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Although this is interesting too - seems to be more like a University type course, and covers all mountian stuff like a UIAGM or whatever it is: http://www.bergfuehrer.at/english/index.htm

I think I was wrong, it seems nothing to do with being a Staatliche, just a rigorous assesment to start the training... and it does also include rock and ice climbing.

bug, some day I plan on doing the bergfuhrer course, looks like I'm gonna have to get over my fear of heights for the climbing schizzle Confused All I want to do is ski lol
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swirly, Doing a bit of research, and there doesn't look to be much difference between Ski and Bergfuhrer stuff now, or at least that I can find with my german skills lol. There are different types of bergfuhrer though - as far as I can understand it, there are different bergfuhrers for skiing (which seems to be the highest level), 'wandering' (I guess just general hiking?) and canyoning...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The entry requirements there are pretty similar to the BMG ones when you compare the different grading systems e.g. UIAA grade VI is pretty much UK Trad E1 5b. Mind 90 degree ice would be WI 5 which is Scottish VI (BMG requires V) although they aren't really comparable as you don't get such solid ice in Scotland. Either way that's some pretty solid climbing skills required.

Here's an example of what to expect at that rock grade http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=102542
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

In my experience as a ski instructor in the US, Canada and Japan, it is permissable to instruct and/or lead students/clients on all types of non-glaciated terain within the resort area boundary.
But within the boundary is avalanche patrolled so the main reason for having a guide (that he takes the responsibility for assessing avalanche danger) disappears.

Fully aware of that. Was presenting info pertinent to the original poster's question:

Quote:

Just a question out of interest really as to how one would go about becoming a qualified ski guide who could take people off piste. Does it vary between countries?

However, even in a 'controlled' environment the instructor should be able to assess the avalanche danger of terrain about to be skied, and how to initiate rescue if that terrain should avalanche. More than enough examples of in-bounds avalanches the past 5 winters.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999, Austrian/German bergfuhrer qualification is a UIAGM accredited qualification. E.g. they are guides
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just got this back form the Oesterreicher Bergfuehrerverband (or something like that):

[quote]Usualy you have to become a mountain guide for guiding skiing offpiste. In Austria you can become a staatlicher Ski-instructor with “Skiführer”. Then you are allowed to ski and guide with skis offpiste.

The part of “Skiführer” is the same with the mountain guides. You have to rock- and ice-climb in a low level also with skiführer, because on the summits in winter you have also ice and the problem of rockclimbing.
[quote/]

Which looks to me like Skifuhrer is slightly lower/easier than Bergfuhrer? Confustication...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied with a skifuehrer and UIAGMs. In future I'll just ski with UIAGM guides. Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy