Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3* or 4* - does it make a difference on a ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
I ski every day on holiday whatever the weather but you can't ski when the slopes close and I, too, am
Quote:
turned on by nice rooms, smart appearance and a decent pool

(It also saves money - if I'm in the pool/jacuzzi/steam room I'm not racking up the bar bills Little Angel .)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Do you deal with mainly British clientele or lots of other Europeans too?

Yeah British people mostly - although did have some people from Yorkshire once

VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
See what you mean about the photos on the Hotel Alaska website! Shocked

Not sure why the Italians think that putting pictures of a girl in bath on the website will help sell the hotel. Most families I know it would put em off. This is why we don't copy them onto our site. Very strange.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 23-07-10 21:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wayne, I agree, most strange. Austrian hotel websites often seem to feature sauna photos and stuff and that's fine, but usually the people have a towel on, and if not, then the photos are quite tasteful. Some of those seem to be more 'through the keyhole' stylee Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wayne wrote:
Not sure why the Italians think that putting pictures of a girl in bath on the website will help sell the hotel.

Just shown the OH, he will be forwarding the deposit subito wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK then (sort of on topic)

Just in case anyone's interested and to answer some of the PM's en-mass, (sorry TallTone can't help this time) we have decided against the Sella Ronda in favour of Madonna di Campiglio (it's pronounced Cam pee lio)

I spent weeks this year going round hotels in Arabba, Val Gardena, Madonna di Campilio, Tonale, Peyo, ect, etc. – to tell you the truth after the 20th hotel owner showing me around their dinning room, they did start to merge and blur.

And yes we have gone posh, see told ya it was on topic.
See here for details (outrageous plug alert wink )

We have only booked one hotel (25 rooms for the season). Big 4*, right next to the lift, 40m from the piste, etc, etc.
Just have to wait now and see if my deposit disappears into the ether or if people actually agree with my choice. If they don't, can someone start a charity fund in aid of me please.

Have deleted the Sella Ronda stuff from my signature (anyway….funny Italian accents up there)

Oh and even though the is a large Spa there's no "girly bathing/showering" pics, sorry ..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne, probably would only go to a place like that if booked in as part of a package - eg as I did when staying at the Sport Hotel at St Anton on a SCGB trip - but I realise others pay more importance than I do to the frills. Good luck - I admire you taking a risk - we skiers need entrepreneurs who make our holidays possible.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wayne, nice, but there's only one "s" in "positioned". And I presume it's the "perfect" rather than "prefect" place wink

Oh and just looking at the prices, I assume you're not actually going to accommodate people in the Manchester United striker Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Axsman wrote:
... and in the evening jeans/chinos and t shirts seem to be the order of the day.

Guess I can't slob out in my favourite shorts and F**K YOU YOU F**KING F**K t-shirt that I love so much. Knew there was a reason expensive hotels are not for me.

I so want one of thes

""F**K YOU YOU F**KING F**K" t-shirt "
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting debate - and I thgink that it depends on what you go for. I have limited holiday time, as I have a city based career, so my six weeks off a year are precious to me, and to be spent in as much luxury as possible and affordable, regardless of activity.

I do prefer a chalet to a hotel though for the big group holiday, as it feels like we have our own house, but with all of our needs catered for.

My experience of the * levels has been that between 3 & 4 the main difference is food/wine quality. Between 4 & 5, you start getting things like hot tubs etc (which are good fun, I have to admit).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
for me the hotel is somewhere to sleep not sit and relax, i do enough of that at home, as long as its cleanish and warmish i'm a happy man. most trips i usually end up either falling asleep on a hotel reception sofa or in a bar so even the room isnt that big a deal..i draw the line at more than a 10 minute walk to a lift though!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wayne, from your website
Quote:
Note, there is a €20 charge for entry to the Spa.

Is that per stay or per day? I certainly wouldn't stay in a hotel that charges me 120 euros extra for a daily swim Shocked . Residents don't normally pay unless it's for a treatment.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
maggi wrote:
Residents don't normally pay unless it's for a treatment.

Yep, you're right. I have just spoken to the owner and she has confirmed the swimming pool area is free for hotel geusts. It's the other stuff that there is a 20 euro charge for. I should have also pointed out the charge is per week, not per day.
Cheers for that - website changed
Ain't snowHead's helpful Very Happy

They only finished redoing the spa last year and it cost over €2 million to build, so I think they are just wanting to put a price on it. €20 isn't bad for the week for all that.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd prefer 4 ski holidays but can only afford 3 (and perhaps a few days in Scotland if I'm lucky).
Oh, the question was about hotel stars, sorry! Well, I'd rather 2* than one*.
Oh that wasn't the question either!

Seriously though, the 2* place I stayed in Bourg St Maurice had bigger rooms and nicer food than most 3* places I've stayed in in big resorts. Lots of the local French came there to eat out.
I've stayed in some of the best hotels in the world with my parents when I was young and they don't really impress me much now. The quality of the cooking (rather than the number of dishes) and the ambiance and location are more important than 3* or 4* which is judged on technicalities I don't care about. I don't want a TV or a hair dryer in my room and I don't like saunas and don't really enjoy swimming enough to do it when out skiing.(I do prefer a bath to a shower, though, and have problems with very firm beds (however expensive the mattress was.)

I'm not really talking skiing now but many of the best B&Bs run by friendly people with real taste in lovely old houses are nicer than almost all the hotels I've stayed at.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 9-03-11 13:55; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi wrote:
I ski every day on holiday whatever the weather but you can't ski when the slopes close
Perhaps I'm just lucky but in the, about, 80 weeks I've skied since 1983 I've not had a day I couldn't ski at all, though sometimes the lifts available were severely reduced. That's in ski resorts - I did have one day on the week I went Heli Skiing when it was too windy and there wasn't any other skiing to do, so most of us walked over the border to a village in Alaska a mile away.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wayne,
Campiglio has acquired an extra l on your page and the last two paragraphs run into photos on my browser and are unreadable.
Good luck with it but well outside my price range for comment/comparison with what I'm used to.
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
the last two paragraphs run into photos on my browser and are unreadable.

It should work now
Blush
latest report
Wayne,
Working now. snowHead
snow report
Only read the first 2 pages as it drifted off topic but...

I'm pretty sure one of the leaps from 3* to 4* is having a TV in your room (ie you could have the best chef, best bar with dramatic views and silver service but still only be a 3* if there is not a TV in each room!), now I like a TV in my room but an extra £100?

...I'll see you in the bar!
ski holidays
"basically the perfect place the unwind after your day's piste bashing" is probably not what was intended Wink . Punctuation seems a bit random to me as well - needs at least a comma after "bar" in "...comfortable lounge and bar but what sets this hotel above the others in the area is the wellness centre. The owners of the St. Raphael have created a true Spa." I'd probably start a new sentence after "bar", though, and combine the rest of that quote into a single sentence, joining the clauses with a semi-colon or dash, but that's more a matter of personal preference.
snow conditions
IF we're looking at Wayne's link in his signature? It reads as though it has been translated from a foreign language.
latest report
"Most rooms are interchangeable from twin to double"

Is that true? The two rooms depicted have bed bases that could not be separated.

"and some may be taken a triple."

Not happy about the English here. It sounds as though they might bring you a strong G and T. What about:

"Twins and double are available, and some rooms can be configured as triples"?

Looks nice, though.
snow report
Much clearer now. And better than my suggestion.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy