Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No Urgency, but goggle suggestions would be welcome

Poster: A snowHead
I want some goggles that will do generally, be excellent in flat light and allow oodles of periferal vision - I don't like being 'blinkered' any suggestions welcome. I don't need them until next season so have loads of time to wait for the right pair at the right price, but it would be good to be pointed at some that might be worth considering.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Smith
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, Scott, Uvex, Marker, Bolle all good

You want an orange/yellow lens. Lighter in colour for worse weather.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Light coloured lens or dark coloured?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I found that my Adidas Climacool sunglasses this year were the best things for flat overcast light I've ever worn. They convert to a goggle (you take the arms off, replace it with an elastic strap, and then fit a foam thing around the nosepiece, just like a goggle) , their shape naturally means a wide field of view (no blinkers), and the pale yellow (anti-fog as well) lenses were great. They do, however, make you look like you have compound eyes, like an insect. And a bit stupid.

They're about £140 in S&R.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any of the smith spherical ones.. gold-lite is pretty good lense for flat\low.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Keep an eye on TKMaxx as the winter sports stuff comes back in in a few months, got some nice Bolle ones with yellow lenses for eldest daughter for about £15 a few months back
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bolle OTG Vermillion Modulator lenses. best goggle in flat Light I've ever used and better field of view than My Oakly A frames (better goggle all round thanthe oakley)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought a pair of Oakley Stockholms (for wimmin) and they are fantastic. You can get last season's for £80 or so and they are excellent in flat light and even sunshine
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Make sure they sit properly when you're wearing your helmet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, I don't think I'm that bothered about lense colour. It's trying to avoid the blinker's feeling that is my biggest issue I think - good in flat light would be the bonus. I've been pleased with my Birdz OTG ones, the quality of the lense seems fine and their teardrop shape avoids the feeling of 'blinkers' but their mirrored lense and shape leads to them being described as 'pug ugly' when I wear them. So anything that allows me to be a fashion mogul too would be great. N.B. Does the concept of 'women specific goggles' exist or are they all unisex?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, stockholms are for women. They are a bit smaller and fit a bit better than Oakley A Frames on my face.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, I'm pleased with my Oakley A Frames, in H.I. Yellow (I only wear goggles if the light is flat, or if it's snowing). I tried various pairs on - the A Frames fitted well with my helmet and didn't inhibit peripheral vision - and then bought them cheaply online. The Stockholms didn't fit me at all, indeed I seemed to have to try all sorts of goggles before finding a pair to fit comfortably. Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, Smith Anthem are women specific, slightly smaller frame. Absolutely superb goggles, I am on my second pair after the OH scratched them whilst cleaning them for me Mad and then tried to remove the scratch by polishing it out with Brasso Evil or Very Mad You can probably find them in S&R to have a try on and then you might get them at a good price if you shop around, I did once see them massively discounted in one of the places at Bicester village.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The orange Bloc lenses on these things have done me nicely in fairly flat light - and they're so cheap you can try them out and if they're not a great fit you won't lose anything on ebay with them.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/bloc-shimmer-goggle-906102

Tempted to get a pair as a spare set, the Bloc ones I got from Sports Direct before have been great for me this season.
latest report
Another vote for Smith goggles ... particularly the 'spherical' models, as papasmurf suggests.

I hate flat light, so went for the Sensor Mirror lenses - and they seem to do the trick nicely.

All round excellent package (and they don't fog as badly as my old Oakleys).
ski holidays
Von Zipper. They tend come with 2 lenses and I've found them excellent.

I gave my Oakley's away. They didn't work for me.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, I bought Stockholms and LOVE them. I got plain Persimmon lenses and paid £56. They're £49 now. That's from Shadestation.co.uk, based in Leeds who were very helpful and fast. Search their website for "stockholm" rather than trying to drill down.
snow report
You should try a pair of Zeal Detonator's PPX or SPPX. They're Polarized and Photochromatic. They actually change color just like transition eyeglasses. Awesome in flat light to full sun. No changing lens, no messing around, and the anti-fog protection works! The Detonators are large in width and depth, so you should be happy. I ski 80 plus days a year, and wouldn't go out without them. Smile I'd try backcountry.com when you're ready to buy.
ski holidays
I'm appreciating all the suggestions folks and am looking them all up - interesting info on the Zeals wahineskisk2, I don't think that's a brand which crops up commonly so that's a new one to keep an eye on - they also have that length in the lense which suggest that the 'blinker' issue wouldn't be too evident. I have always like polarised lenses in glasses too, so am attracted to them in goggles too.
ski holidays
Another one here who has Stockholms. They are very comfy with good quality lenses and make me look less like a dork than any other goggle. I don't think Megamum would like them though as I don't think the peripheral vision is brilliant. But I don't like goggles and only wear them when it's snowing heavily and I can't see that much anyway! rolling eyes
snow report
maggi, I find the peripheral vision with the Stockholms tons better than my 1st (admittedly cheapo) pair. I think it's partly that they fit really well. I tried a whole range of makes/styles and the were by far the best fit.
ski holidays
smith prodigys. Hated Oakleys - but my wife likes the A frames. Also have some old Bolle pairs which have been bombproof over the years. The Scott ones I got with a fall-line sub 2 years ago fit my eldest sprog but really constrain my field of vision too much.
ski holidays
Megamum, Oakley Splice in Persimmon lense.

Around £72 on the web.

Or as Butterfly says, the women specific Stockholm.

Oakleys top of the range goggle, excellent optics, legendary warranty

http://www.oakley.com/pd/6281

Significantly smaller than my old wisdoms. Should work with any helmet.

I've got 2 pairs.
ski holidays
I really like the new POC ones. Massive field of vision. Their site seems to be down at the moment but there are some pics here
http://www.descent-world.co.uk/2009/10/28/poc-eyes-goggles/
ski holidays
The oakley crowbars are pretty good. I have them with the fire iridium lense which is excellent in bright light and also pretty good in the low light. Im also looking at getting a pair of adidas yodai ski goggles with the orange lense for something a bit different.heard some good things about them from instructors.
snow conditions
What about Oakley Hi Yellow? Looking for some flat light goggles myself.
ski holidays
You know I'm not a big fan of goggles. However, after a very bad vision day in La Thuile this season, I kinda saw the point to them. And mine are great. They're Salice something or other bought in Italy for €22. No misting, great vision and with a hat on (coldest March ski weather I've ever encountered) the laccy strap did not get tangled in my hair. Plus they have the advantage of being purple. Best €22 I ever spent.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
You know I'm not a big fan of goggles. However, after a very bad vision day in La Thuile this season, I kinda saw the point to them. And mine are great. They're Salice something or other bought in Italy for €22. No misting, great vision and with a hat on (coldest March ski weather I've ever encountered) the laccy strap did not get tangled in my hair. Plus they have the advantage of being purple. Best €22 I ever spent.

Laughing If I had the time I would pull out all your quotes complaining about misting; restricted vision and tangled hair... but I won't Wink
snow report
chect2000 wrote:
What about Oakley Hi Yellow? Looking for some flat light goggles myself.

The best low light lens on the market.
snow report
arv, I've never complained about misting. That can't have been me. But yes I decided I hated anything to do with goggles after I had to cut two inches out of my hair to get the perishing things off. And the old pair I had years ago when I did a season squashed my nose and gave me blinkered vision. However, the newer pair bought in Italy in 2006 are a big improvement.

I still always prefer my sunnies though and would only wear goggles on really bad light days.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, you are at the top of a slippery slope in to goggle-dom, it is all downhill from here Wink
latest report
Dr John wrote:
Smith

Seconded
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy