Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How would you describe a cable car ?

Poster: A snowHead
I am writing a new website and need some help.

How would you describe a cable car (6 person high speed detachable) to someone on their first ski holiday, who has never seen one.

Not like this Laughing Laughing
Like a car, attached to a metal rope, that you sit in.

Any ideas

cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wayne, A cable car - Like the big thing that they jumped from in Where Eagles Dare
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wayne, a small box in which people with rucksacks squash people like "under a new name".
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd use a photograph.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Right then, the lot of you Frosty the Snowman, hyweljenkins, Butterfly, go and stand in the corner.
And we don't want to their face, do we class ? go on you know what to do, face the wall.

Note to Admin can we have a naughty step in the forum ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne, A mode of transportation that takes skiers from a large que at the bottom of the hill to a large que at the top of the hill.

Tin can attached to a moving cable that transports people up mountains and steep terrain. Tend to smell of beer farts, Squashed snowheads and Cheese.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fattes13, go and join those 3 in the corner.

Does anyone have a real suggestion.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 10-03-10 11:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A white knuckle ride, in a big metal box, suspended by a thin wire over an abyss, a drop into which would mean certain death.

Farting within the first 30 seconds of the ride starting is compulsory.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How long/short do you want the description to be? And maybe start off sorting things out your own mind as
Quote:
6 person high speed detachable
is not a cable car, it's a bubble/gondola/egg (delete to taste).

A series of metal/fibreglass bubbles each the size of a small car which hangs from a moving cable. Each bubble has 6 seats, in two rows back to back so you sit facing outwards fore and aft through the windows, and has carriers on the outside for your skis. The bubbles are moved slowly through the top and bottom stations allowing you to get in and out, and then clamp to the cable to move at higher speed up the mountain.

But a picture is worth a thousand words.

And if you do want to talk about cable cars, remember that any Americans would know a cable car as a tram and a tram as a cable car.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tell them to Google "Cavalese".
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wot butterfly said.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Axsman, A Cable Car is, for me, 2 fixed cables on which 1 large cabin is slung below each cable. The 2 cars are connected by a drive cable that pulls one car up the fixed cable whilst lowering the other car down its cable... a bit like a lift and a counterweight in a building. The picture you posted is a of lots of smaller cabins that grip onto a moving cable.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, I agree with you, but the OP described his 'cable car' as " 6 person high speed detachable " which as GrahamN, pointed out has a variety of names. So I looked for a pic of that sort of thing. Actually bearing in mind the comment about merkans I should probably have posted this Toofy Grin

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, wheras what you are referring to is something like this:

Little Angel

EDIT picked a nice snowy one instead! Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 10-03-10 12:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Axsman, the rails are the fixed cable and the drive cable runs under the road.
snow conditions
Hmmm ... depends how detailed you want the descripition to be. I usually find Wikipedia useful for this sort of stuff.

For example, to quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondola_lift

"A gondola lift is a type of aerial lift, often called a cable car, which consists of a loop of steel cable that is strung between two stations, sometimes over intermediate supporting towers. The cable is driven by a bullwheel in the terminal, which is connected to an engine or electric motor. Because of the proliferation of such systems in the Alpine regions of Europe, the French language name of Télécabine is also used in an English language context. Gondola lifts should not be confused with aerial tramways (where a cabin is suspended from a fixed cable and is pulled by another cable), which are also sometimes known as 'cable cars'."

(I hope I'm not breaking any rules / conventions by quoting another website!?)

But as others have said ... a piccy might be the way forward.
ski holidays
A swinging box of death. I am not a fan of cable cars and turn a very strange colour on the Valluga in St Anton.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, well TBF there are very few cable accidents resulting in fatalties. You are probably at far more risk of death in your car on the motorway.

However 'swinging box of vomit' does I think have some basis in fact. Toofy Grin
snow report
My favourite clip
http://youtube.com/v/LdTt6Fp7D0U and try clicking "part 2" when you are done Shocked

or for a cable car
http://youtube.com/v/-gPBstF1DX4&feature=related
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, I love the comment "Aiguille du Midi can be scary when its calm/clear up there. I'd have to check my shorts after this ride!" Laughing
ski holidays
Was standing on Plan Midi once when I heard a gasp from all around. I looked up to see that something had put on the anchors and the fast descending cable car suddenly wasn't. It swung forward so much that the body of the car was pressed firmly into the cables!

So, yes, it can be scary.
snow conditions
Wayne,
show them a video.
ski holidays
These guys panicked half way across the highest longest cable car in Europe
http://youtube.com/v/6s9ZVysbE6I&NR=1
Very Happy
ski holidays
I wouldn't describe it technically to a first timer - reading those posts made me feel a bit sick
snow report
Its a fast easy way to accend the mountain unless you suffer from acrophobia(fear of heights), claustrophobia(fear of enclosed spaces), fatsophobia(fear of being sat on by an obese individual), nokiaphobia(fear of having to listen to loud cell phone conversations), velcrophobia(fear of becoming fastened to someone else´s pocket flaps), or autoparkasphysxiation( fear of being smothered by your own down filled ski jacket).
latest report
DAB, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
I have to stand in the middle where I cant see anything and have to be surrounded by very tall scandinavian or Austrian hotties (with backpacks) and have my ipod on full with something happy and soothing.

My worst experience ever was the bubble up from Tignes Le Lac, it stopped over the lake bit and stupid French man was bouncing about making it bounce up and down bleeeurrghh I cried alot and wouldnt let go of the bar in the middle.
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:
to be surrounded by very tall scandinavian or Austrian hotties (with backpacks)

Backpacks are you sure - you'll get into bother with some people ??

Anyway have used this
the lift from the town is a large cable car (with easy to get into cabins) all the way up to the mid-station

that'll have to do.

Finished that page for now - will go back to it before it's done.
Trying to write the contact us form with server-side PHP now (so the spam bots don't get me wink )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne, everyone seems to have backpacks in St A and shovels!
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee,
I was in St Albans the other week and didn't see anyone with a shovel
snow report
DAB, well worked out Laughing
snow report
Wayne,
Quote:

Anyway have used this
the lift from the town is a large cable car (with easy to get into cabins) all the way up to the mid-station

Trouble with that I would expect a "cable car" or "Aerial Tramway", a big 150 person job, for which you almost always have to queue - a distinct downside Mad . Whereas what you describe is a fast 6 person gondola - a good thing Little Angel
ski holidays
A large metal container with windows and often small seats around the edge which can be stood or sat in. Said container is suspended on a long arm and clamped to a moving cable which is moved by a pair of winches and supported above the ground on metal pylons over which the cable passes on a series of cogs. The containers can swing to a certain degree depending on loading, weather and proximity to the pylons that they are passing over.
snow report
RobinS wrote:
what you describe is a fast 6 person gondola

Good point - I have changed it
http://www.ukoutdoorpursuits.org/pages/folgarida_skiing_our_slopes.html

and they say TO's don't listen. wink
latest report
Wayne, that page, as in the link from your sig, refers to sections of a black being over 60 degrees. Do you really mean that? There're only a handful of people in the world who can ski 60+ degrees. OK, if it's only for a metre or two, but is that really a realistic gradient - or just a statement a tabloid would just about get away with.
latest report
GrahamN wrote:
Wayne, that page, as in the link from your sig, refers to sections of a black being over 60 degrees. Do you really mean that? There're only a handful of people in the world who can ski 60+ degrees. OK, if it's only for a metre or two, but is that really a realistic gradient - or just a statement a tabloid would just about get away with.

I always tell people when they ask me if they should do those runs that if you fall you're going to keep sliding and pick up speed. Mind you, most people I see going down the steep bits are just side slipping

One of the most popular cafes on the slopes is half way down Nera Marilleve piste (black 60' in the middle for about 70m). There is a cheer goes up when someone starts to slide and it keeps going till they stop.
wink
Really childish and I, as a professional, do not condone such behaviour

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 10-03-10 15:28; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Wayne, Looking at the dolomites for next years lads trip. Do you do singles? (x 4).
ski holidays
Wayne wrote:
Right then, the lot of you Frosty the Snowman, hyweljenkins, Butterfly, go and stand in the corner.
And we don't want to their face, do we class ? go on you know what to do, face the wall.

Note to Admin can we have a naughty step in the forum ?

Do you trust us all in the same corner? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Wayne, Looks good, I shall have to go to Folgarida one day as I have heard many good reports. What is the off-piste like?
snow conditions
Wayne wrote:
(black 60' in the middle for about 70m)

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no way will you have that on a piste (assuming you've mistyped ' for degrees, which is what is on your webpages). The majority of skiers would die on such a section, not just start a more or less controlled slide to the bottom. I'd buy 60% = 31 degrees, which is a reasonable black gradient. The steepest black in the Alps is always considered to be the Harikiri in Mayrhofen, which is 38 degrees.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy