Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne: how long from montalbert to champagny?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi there, can anyone advise how long it would take a pretty competent skier to ski from montalbert across to champagny in the La Plagne area? also if trying to get across to courchevel- how much might a taxi cost to Brides-les-bain for the bubble up to Meribel, or to Courchevel itself. or is there a bus?

thank you! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I reckon a couple of hours from Montalbert to Champagny. The lifts out of Montalbert are quite slow. And the piste conditions on the Champagny hill are often ropey in my experience. I stayed in Champagny back in 2000. I also did a day trip to Le Trois Vallees. We had our own car. But we hooked into the lift system at Le Praz in the Courcheval valley rather than Brides. I think it's just as guick and the bubble from Brides takes an age (I stayed there once aswell). I don't think you would have enough worthwhile skiing time skiing over to Champagny and then taxi over to LTV, if that is what you were planning. You'd be better off getting an early morning taxi via Moutiers to Brides and getting the first lift there.

Layne
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thank you- trying to plan to meet up with a friend as we are staying in each resort- probably do an overnight stay in one resort or other- possibly brides. the taxi transfer costs seem prohibitive tho............ how easy would it be to hitch a lift?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you have the option of an overnight stay then it makes a bit more sense.

I've never hitched but I've seen a few people doing it and I would imagine it would work pretty well at the start and end of the day, also perhaps lunchtime when there is quite a bit of activity. TBH the easiest thing would probably be for your friend to transport to Champagny for a days skiing rather than you going from Montalbert. They may find there are buses to do this... there will be transfers from the train station at Moutiers that go to Champagny and pass through Brides.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thank you- i'll investigate that........
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
champagny tourist office have emailed me a bus timetable linking champagny to brides-les-bain, which also stops in Bozel which is part of the free courchevel ski-bus system. sorted! thanks for your help
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tangerine17, I would aim for the funiplagne gondola in Plagne Centre from Montalbert, it is 3 chairlifts and a couple of short runs away. The gondola takes 5 minutes to La Grande Rochette where you take a steepish red or long blue down to the borselier chairlift in the Champagny ski area. From there you can either ski down the le bois red run into Champagny village or take the chairlift and ski down to the gondola that takes you into Champagny village. It takes 7 minutes in the gondola down into Champagny and is usually preferable to the narrow, icy red run through the trees.
The bus stop is just outside the tourist office in Champagny village, you take the lift down from the large multi storey car park next to the gondola and the bus stop is only a 50 metres walk.
They have a more regular bus service on a Saturday between Champagny and Moutiers (with stops in Bozel and Brides Les Bains) so if you are able to make the trip on the Saturday I would go then. I don't know how often the ski-bus runs between Bozel and Courchevel and whether it coincides with the bus from Champagny. If you know or find out please let us know.
Good luck.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thank you! the high season timetable for the courchevel skibus indicates there's an hourly bus from bozel into courchevel resort - bit less frequent between 12 and 3. so- only a coffee stop wait even if they don't co-incide brilliantly well.

how long should i allow to ski across to Champagny from Montalbert using the route you suggest (black run ability skier)?

thanks for yr help snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The time from Plagne centre to Champagny village is around 25 to 30 minutes for a good skier assuming you don't have to queue for the lifts. I'm not sure of the timings from Montalbert to Plagne centre as it is not a route I usually take, maybe some of the regulars based in Montalbert can give a better answer. The last time I took the chairlifts out of Montalbert they seemed to be slow although it probably only took 40 minutes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We generally find that as long as there aren't long lift ques we can drop the kids off to ski school in Montalbert around 9 and be at the top of the Champgny valley well before mid day. We've even managed to get to the bottom lift in Champagny and back to Montalbert in time to pick them up from ski school as well (no stopping for breath of course Confused )
Bes of luck!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Barratschamonix, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy