Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

There are group of us looking to book our next ski trip for Jan 2011. Previously been to Verbier/Grindewald/Chamonix/Saalbach and want to try a new venue.

Possible picks so far are Val Thorens, Meribel or Alpe d'Heuz

Can anyone offer advice on the comparisons of these sites

Need plenty of easy slopes as we have three novices coming but also a wide range of blues and reds. Must have good apres and wanna be close to the slopes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think any of those would score for "good apres" compared to Verbier, Chamonix or Saalbach. For the novices, Val Thorens would be better than Meribel. Don't know Alpe d'Huez.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
drbsparks, Courchevel better than Val Thorens or Meribel for wide blues and reds. Personally I don't like Meribel - crappy old lifts and steep and often icy pistes into resort. Don't know Alpe D'Huez. Portes du Soleil might be a good choice. Despite it being low altitude January should be cold enough to guarantee decent snow. I guess Avoriaz is best for ski in / ski out but not sure about apres. There are others on here who know PdS much better than me. Tignes or Val D'Isere are both great and would also meet your criteria.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I only know Alpe D'Huez. It would fit the bill very well for the skiing, it has loads of green and easy blue slopes leading back to the resort and plenty of blues, reds, etc further up. There is accommodation close to the slopes, I've stayed at Les Bergers twice which is very convenient for the slopes with some being ski in/out. There are plenty of bars around but I don't really know how lively things are.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't like Meribel either - like bobinch - but it's worth mentionat Val D'Isere is only sensible for novices who are prepared to download in a lift. In January the Espace Killy can be a bit bleak and intimidating for novices. Courchevel (maybe 1650) might be better.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
drbsparks, La Tania (3V) may be worth a look. Most of the accommodation is - at best - ski in/out, or at worst within a short walk to lifts or a slope. We skied there with a group range of experience between 25 years + and two children on their 3rd holiday. It's possible to ski back to the village on blue or red runs and there is a free village centre drag if the novices want to practice away from the main slopes. Apres is not jumping but there are a couple of lively-ish bars, with happy hours and live music, restaurants, pizzerias etc. Prices are lower than C 1850 (to where you can ski on the local pass, without needing a full 3V pass) and Meribel (3 V pass needed). We enjoyed it, and would definitely ski there again.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, agree with VdI and downloading - even Verte in to La Daille can be intimidating for beginners after 3.30pm, and Criterium (blue) is a bitch.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never stayed in Meribel because it's the worst part of 3V skiing wise and I like quiet apres ski. As others have said it's not good for novices. Val T is good for novices but the apres and ambience isn't up to much. I think ADH would fit the bill nicely. The main town is quite big and has quite a few options apres ski wise. And the skiing would be just right.

Layne
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
drbsparks wrote:
Possible picks so far are Val Thorens, Meribel or Alpe d'Heuz

Can anyone offer advice on the comparisons of these sites

All fairly grim... as others have said Courchevel is a better bet in the 3V. Other suggestions are St Anton (perfectly OK for beginners despite what some say) or Ischgl
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
drbsparks, ischgl is the way for you, only tough bits are the runs home , and you can allways download to avoid these wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy