Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR (with pics): direct from the catwalks of the Kootenays

Poster: A snowHead
A couple of days making fashion statements in Whitewater, BC

Musical accompaniment (open in new tab or window):

http://youtube.com/v/tJpirySSKHA&NR=1

Participants:

Arno, Vernonica and Parlor:

Laura:

Juho (in spirit, if not physically):

Day 1 - 5 Mile

Arno strikes a pose

meanwhile, in the dressing room:

onto the runway:

anticipation builds for the main event:

OMG - is that a glimpse of blue steel?!?!?11!!

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Day 2 - Ymir Peak

Fashion can be surprisingly hard work:

we call this headpiece, Snowhead:

that's the way to the post-show party

today a choice of "runways" - the obvious line on the right of the photo or off the peak, along the bench to its left then down from there (we ended up going for the latter):

it's all about the smurf look:

where Parlor leads, others follow

this particular runway had a fracture in it and slid quite impressively when another group cut the cornice to test stability:

a couple of "glamour shots" at the summit:

looking for a spot from which to make a suitably dramatic entrance:

parlor nails it:

arno follows suit:

Veronica is not to be outdone:

This looked better than it was:

Ever the professional, Parlor makes the best of a bad job

and finishes with a smile:

and finally, checking out our accessories

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 7-03-10 21:48; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laura on a splitboard?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sweet.

more pics of veronica Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice pics and good job, always think that this area is a must do on a canadian rockies ski trip. BUT.........where is the "legendary" powder??? NehNeh
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AlTom, Al Nino stole it Confused

prog99, yes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was it El Nino or Gargamel that stole the snow?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did the Gayboy get a job at Walmart then?

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Are those the DPS Wailers on the left? Quite fancy me a pair of those ...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Did the Gayboy get a job at Walmart then?

Not yet. Wink

zammo, I wouldn't bother. Fat skis are a fashion statement. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zammo, yes - might do a sweet blog about them on the equipment section but i am very pleased with them. have them mounted with dynafits so it is a ridiculously light combo. in soft snow of all sorts they are really nice, whether you are doing long or short turns. once i got used to the idea even a large field of elephant snot was fun to ski

they are very torsionally rigid so they rail on piste. takes a bit of getting used to just how lively they are. almost a bit too much given that the dyanfits don't absorb any of the bumps etc. that said (a) for me they will only really get used on piste when i am getting back to the lift for another lap and (b) the new SS technology for next season apparently will make them a bit more damp
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice... Who skiis the G3s!? and what skins do you have!?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
michaelminhatkinson, er... none of us! skis on display are DPS Wailer 105, Rossi S7 and Faction 3:Zero

we all had G3 skins however
snow report
Arno, great pictures! Looks like a cracking area.
ski holidays
Arno, Ssshh, dont tell everyone about the place Toofy Grin

Any news on their expansion, while you were there ?
ski holidays
Who was one the Rossi S7's? I'm considering investing in a pair, any comments on their performance?
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
zammo, yes - might do a sweet blog about them on the equipment section but i am very pleased with them. have them mounted with dynafits so it is a ridiculously light combo. in soft snow of all sorts they are really nice, whether you are doing long or short turns. once i got used to the idea even a large field of elephant snot was fun to ski

they are very torsionally rigid so they rail on piste. takes a bit of getting used to just how lively they are. almost a bit too much given that the dyanfits don't absorb any of the bumps etc. that said (a) for me they will only really get used on piste when i am getting back to the lift for another lap and (b) the new SS technology for next season apparently will make them a bit more damp

I need more skis like a hole in the head but I did fill in the 'pick me a ski' form on the DPS website and they said: Wailer 105 in 178cm, flex 2.
Then I asked if the 'Pure' was really better than the hybrid and got the predictable response!

I'm off to Austria for 4 days of day tours next week - if my current set up starts to feel too weighty, I might just dip into the "i just got divorced" fund and see if I can stretch to a pair for next year.

I'll post a TR when I get back. It won't have your level of stoke, but at least I'll have foud huts that sell weissbier along the way!

btw, parlor, as you may have guessed, I am a fashion victim snowHead ... oh, and I know 178cm is short, but then so am I!
latest report
clarky999, veronica was on the S7s. i have spoken to a few people who ski them and they all love them

zammo, there is a very helpful post by Marshal Olson on TGR about the differences between pure and hybrid constructions. conclusion is that one is not necessarily better than the other - it just depends how you ski and what you plan to do with the skis
snow report
Bones, there were plans up in the Lodge - couldn't tell how concrete the plans are. Parlor would be in a better position to comment
snow conditions
Excellent stuff Arno! Good combination of ski and funny pics.

We should ski together for more than a weekend sometime.
latest report
horizon, i only ski with people who dress like smurfs these days so make sure you have the right kit Wink
snow report
We need to get the band back together in Alpe d'Huez next season. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
horizon, bad_roo, either of you tempted by a season-closing long weekend around ADH/LG?
snow report
Ahem, so after your invite last year I assume mine for this got lost in the post Wink

how does it compare to last march trip!
latest report
kitenski, wasn't sure a 2 day trip to to interior BC would be of much interest unless people were in the area anyway! the main difference from last year is that parlor appears to have remembered how to turn
latest report
 brian
brian
Ooh, suit you , sir!

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bones, hard to tell what's going to happen at WH2O, as you probably know the locals (well, the skiers, anyway) are dead against it. It's a shame, the terrain is fantastic and despite the risk of loosing some of it's charm, I for one would love to see a little more life in the place. Did you hear about the 'Silver Basin' project too?

brian, thanks, I think.

clarky999, my better half. She's a fairly decent skier and kills it on them. Such a versatile ski. The weight was putting her off to start with but the Dynafits made it the perfect slack country / powder touring set up. She tested it with alpine bindings on the first day of skiing, right after skiing the Rossi SC87 (she wanted to ski some warm up laps), first run (on the groomed) she was in love and became obsessed. She also skied K2 Coombacks and a similar Movement ski. Rossis won.

kitenski, you don't need an invite to ski, just louder clothing!

Arno, less remembered, more milked. Wink

Worst snow year in the Kootenays in 65 years. I can't wait for next year there... Very Happy
ski holidays
parlor, I can understand the locals being against it, agreed the terrain is fantastic and I too would like to see a little more life in the place. Not sure about the Silver Basin project ? It would be ashame though to fill the valley with lodgings as I think that would ruin the charm of the place. Unfortunately this is often needed to happen to fund the resort.

Saw a similar thing at Powder Mountain, Utah this year. The locals are really against a 'town' being built at the base. At the moment the place for us is similar to Red and Whitewater. plenty of skiing and few crowds. Its basic and rustic with plenty of charm. Hell the lifties dont have a uniform and they 'check off' your lift pass with a marker pen Toofy Grin But some of the best skiing there is. Put hotels and condos in, pump plenty of money into it and you have another run of the mill ski resort Sad
ski holidays
The forum desperately needs something ski related so thought I would bump this thread with the update that the Whitewater development plans have been given the go-ahead

http://www.skiwhitewater.com/expansion_plans.php

can't decide whether i am for or against it... will just have to visit a few times to make up my mind Cool
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
The forum desperately needs something ski related so thought I would bump this thread with the update that the Whitewater development plans have been given the go-ahead

http://www.skiwhitewater.com/expansion_plans.php

can't decide whether i am for or against it... will just have to visit a few times to make up my mind Cool

Sweet! I might go and buy a little piece of land there.

It was a tough call as to whether or not expansion is a good thing. The terrain has so much potential that it seems a shame not to make a little more of it. On the other hand so much charm comes from the intimacy of it's small size.

For those that don't know, Whitewater (WH20) has two quite old two man chair lifts which only give you a vertical drop of 400m. I spent 5 weeks skiing everyday there and didn't get bored, three days we stayed in bounds all day and just enjoyed the fresh snowfall, the rest of the time we would use the lifts for a free 400m bump and skin to one of the many other areas. We actually did leave twice, just to go touring on the Kootenay Pass.

As it stands I don't think that it would be (single stop) destination for European skiers, or for anyone too far away. Unless you just want to tour and ski powder with no one else around Wink You could combine a trip very easily with a few other places eg Red Mountain, in fact anywhere on The Powder Highway. During the five weeks there we saw many people doing exactly that, including quite a few Euros. There were also quite a few Scandis (but of course!) who came for a month plus and stayed pretty much in and around WH2O.

Even with an improved lift system there will always be a massive amount of terrain to tour in, the lifts will just get you further away from the resort, quicker, ergo, new terrain will become easier to access.

WH2O serves the best food I've ever eaten in a ski lodge (quality, variety & value - not 'fancyness'), the staff - especially the ski patrol - are all super helpful and friendly. If these characteristics are retained then the new, improved WH2O should be just as cool. It won't turn in to a super resort over night so I don't think the locals have too much to worry about. The lodge has two cook books you can buy, I have one, it's really good.

Having spent five weeks there in what the locals have called the driest winter they have ever seen I was very impressed with the snow quality. We had reasonably regular snowfall, but nothing over 15cm in a single dump. The snow just stayed so good for so long, not just on the north facing slopes and not even at very high elevations - even the average temperatures were really pleasant - the coldest we ever saw was -15, but it was on average around -5. It just stayed reasonably light and you rarely had to cross other peoples tracks. It makes me happy to know that you could spend a week or two there and not be so hung up on whether it 'dumps' or not. Of course, days after we left they had several 50+cm days. Unreal.

I will be considering an investment there, despite it being a 6 or 7 hour drive. Or a dodgy flight.
ski holidays
Smurfman speaks trooth. Stopped by a couple of times and we weren't in the loop with any locals so kinda restricted to inbounds + obvious hlkes but it was short laps of wonderful. Nelson is also the least walmarty walmart town I've ever been to - the angry clove resto still there?
ski holidays
fatbob, can't remember it's real name. Angry? Je pense non. Psychedelic Clove maybe? All the meals included garlic and had space age names...
snow conditions
it is half tempting to scrape together a deposit for a little plot around there
it would almost be worth it for my wife's reaction alone Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Arno, darling, I've bought us a little piece of BC... she'd see it coming dude Wink

Veronica's first reaction would be poo-poo, you've bought something in Shames haven't you? GgggGggggrrRRRrrrr Then she'd probably calm down again when she found out it was Nelson. Very Happy
snow report
parlor, D would probably come round to the idea that Nelson is better than other options I have (not very seriously) presented to her, namely Terrace (hockey town!!) and Pemberton (home of the most pure bred potatoes in the world!!!)
snow conditions
Arno,

What jacket were you wearing? Marmot?
ski holidays
Mike Pow, patagucci speed ascent
ski holidays
Arno, You could always try the option of presenting 2 alternatives :

A A nice hillside above Kootenay Lake
B A plot next to the Aluminium Smelter in Trail

parlor, Did you get into Kokannee Glacier Park much?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy