Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Take your bl00dy backpacks off in the cable car please

Poster: A snowHead
under a new name, what does the number of days I have skied this year have to do with anything?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name,

they are designed to be safe for a given weight - not volume - and there will be a factor of safety of at least 2 on that weight, so actually eth designers of the cable car actually expect and allow for people with ruckascks on.

And in fact, given the amount of money the lift company has paid for the strength of the cable car support structures, i feel it is my duty, to use it as much as possible to its capacity, so that they can justify the efficiency of teh system. Wouldnt you be unhappy to think that your £150 lift pass could have been only £100 if they didnt build that factor of safety in .

In fact i think i will follow teh example of other travellers on here, and go up to a 75l rucksack and put my daughter's life size "Tigger" in there as well next trip
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snoozie, you said "get a life" and you're hanging around here. Kind a stands to reason that one metric for having a (quality of) life might be quantity of skiing. Quality of skiing also counts.

Fat skis don't. ROFLOL.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 8-03-10 23:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sev112, I'm not entirely sure what your point is.

I'm quite surprised however, that my suggestion/request/pleading that people do the (where possible/reasonable) do the polite and civilised thing has been met by such a "shan't", "won't" response. Are we not all skiers or boarders? Shouldn't we do as we would be done by?

Perhaps not, sadly.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snoozie, anyway on a more sociable topic - perhaps we could more reasonably discuss over a beer? wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, your first post was basically telling people what to do, and peeps do not like being told what they can and can not do whilst enjoying their holiday ..... by an anon internet user Little Angel It does not bother me if some one is wearing a pack, a silly hat or carrying 3 sets of skis, I am on holiday and such things do not generally come up on my radar of annoyance, if it did I would take an alternative lift or ski an alternative area not served by a cable car etc with the odd person wearing a back pack in it wink

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 9-03-10 0:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
sev112, I'm not entirely sure what your point is.

I'm quite surprised however, that my suggestion/request/pleading that people do the (where possible/reasonable) do the polite and civilised thing has been met by such a "shan't", "won't" response. Are we not all skiers or boarders? Shouldn't we do as we would be done by?

Perhaps not, sadly.

rolling eyes
Shouldn't you write less aggressive headlines than Take your bl00dy backpacks off if you want a reasonable response? 'Please' afterwards does not offset. 'Shan't' was an automatic response - particularly as I have never been aware of backpacks as an apparent problem in gondolas (nor seen signs that I should not wear them, nor been asked by lift staff to remove). Not been on my radar until I saw your headline.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All this is more commonly known as two bald blokes arguing over a comb.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, yabbut it's made a change from helmets, boots in hand luggage and insurance. And being a little bit off piste. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was just in the Nendaz/Verbier region and a couple of the top lifts have signs asking people to remove packs. As most were small people didn't bother, but if you put your back to the windows they take up the space there. The biggest problem was teh selfish folk in the corners who just don't push up leaving those near the doors rather crushed.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, actually you make a very good point - for some lifts on some days at some times. But not all Cable Cars are designed so the space per person (and they always load by number of passengers - not till they seem full) requires you to have your pack off. Anyway - stand near the gates, be last on and chill. snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother, Thanks you. I have to admit that no cable car I've been in admits any more than a tolerable minimum of space but I'm delighted to be proven wrong.

N.B. I'm always chilled, just don't ask my wife for confirmation, you really don't need to, honest.

I must admit that Saturday's experience was an egregious example - maybe 30-40% of the riders had packs on (an astonishing number had ABS packs which are not, by definition, small - although there was one that was quite a neat size.)

Sure enough, adding to the discomfort Scarpa, the folk in the corners were all muttering and groaning, I, in true chilled fashion hadn't paid attention and was in the middle (doh!). The lifties ended up doing the Japanese thing and shoving. It would have all worked better (and properly) if the packwearers had them down by their feet.

rolling eyes rolling eyes

I am not bald.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 9-03-10 11:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, but you are a retard...those stoopid fucI<ing smilies prove it...

okbye
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Much better to shut the car down as people tumble over backpacks on the floor in the scramble to get out at the top station Toofy Grin or even better find yourself going back down.

When exactly should they take them off and put them on, outside and then juggle skis,poles and pack or inside and bump and knock everyone?

I would rather people kept them on thanks:
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kevindonkleywood, you won't be skiing near Chamonix any time soon then will you?
ski holidays
Can I point a few towards this website:

http://www.cosleyhouston.com/alps-ski-advice.htm

Quote:
Téléphérique etiquette

There is an established etiquette for behavior on téléphériques. They are often crowded and good behavior helps us all to get along in these very packed confines.

You may need to readjust your notion of "personal space". To queue up in crowded conditions means to allow yourself to enter a stream of bodies and be carried along with it. It is not always an orderly process, but ultimately it works. Try not to hold things up, but also not to shove ahead of others. Most of all, try to keep your cool, knowing that you will get to your destination and a bit of crowding is worth not climbing thousands of meters of elevation.

Packs off

As you get in the cabin, put your pack down. You want it on the floor. If the lift is going to be very packed, consider buckling your waist belt buckle around your pack to help keep it out from underfoot.

Be careful with your ice axe

When we expect a ride on a téléphérique, we try to pack our axe inside the pack, or at a minimum keep the pointy parts tucked out of the way and safe from the damaging effects of human flesh.

Crampons inside pack

As stated above, crampons should be inside the pack. We have light, little crampon bags to protect the other things in our packs.
snow conditions
manicpb, excellent!
snow report
cosleyhouston, we have a problem...
ski holidays
I've seen some fat people taking up more room than a normal person with a backpack... maybe we should make them hold their stomachs between their legs for the duration of the lift wink
snow report
shoogly, it's an idea...
snow report
You could fit a fat person with a beer belly in quite snuggly facing a lass with a big rack. Smile
ski holidays
manicpb, written by Americans, for Americans, and therefore inadmissible in this court.
latest report
bum, If you need volunteers to test your theory let me know. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Axsman, you have both a beer belly AND a big rack wink
snow conditions
red 27, well I'd have said 'pert' but you may not be entirely wrong Laughing
latest report
shoogly, what about a fat person with a backpack?
snow report
hyweljenkins wrote:
Whether the pack is on my back or not make no difference to the space I'll need,

Yes it does as people (generally) are bulkier in the torso/shoulders area than the legs, so taking off a pack and having it at floor level will use up the void space there is down there.
snow conditions
i thought that rucksacks with airbags in them were for when eth cable car crashes, so it just defeats the object of basic safety to take them off inside the cable car ???? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
midgetbiker wrote:
hyweljenkins wrote:
Whether the pack is on my back or not make no difference to the space I'll need,

Yes it does as people (generally) are bulkier in the torso/shoulders area than the legs, so taking off a pack and having it at floor level will use up the void space there is down there.

Ahhh, the crystal clear voice of reason. Far too sensible for these here parts.

So, after 3 pages of drivel and ego investing, may I suggest a couple of simple solutions:

(1) If cable car choc-a-bloc, remove pack and use the above mentioned void for stowage (anyone worried about their beloved sack getting grubby should just rub handfuls of snow into the grubby bit or wear it proudly)
(2) If cable car relatively spacey, wear it if you like.

There, that didn't hurt did it?

okbye.
ski holidays
Inpolite weirdo with huge rucksack in cable car standing-at-the-far-end shock!

snow report
backpacks never bothered me , whats more concerning is peoples personal hygene it aint nice sitting next to a smelly bloke with bad breathe and rotting teeth (has happened before any smart alec says "blah blah blah" ) Laughing
snow report
harriet, somewhat worse to find yourself next to a smelly woman etc.... but I know what you mean blah blah
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, thank you

see my earlier post about keeping your rucksacks on because you need the airbags to go off Smile

Point proven - I think the rucksacks have won this argument wink
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:
hyweljenkins wrote:

Ahhh, the crystal clear voice of reason. Far too sensible for these here parts.

So, after 3 pages of drivel and ego investing, may I suggest a couple of simple solutions:

(1) If cable car choc-a-bloc, remove pack and use the above mentioned void for stowage (anyone worried about their beloved sack getting grubby should just rub handfuls of snow into the grubby bit or wear it proudly)
(2) If cable car relatively spacey, wear it if you like.

There, that didn't hurt did it?

okbye.

(1) (a) those lumbered with carrying childrens skis will be excused from the extra burden of removing back pack
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, Ok we're drafting now. Forget FIS Rules, this is serious sh*t. What about parents who hang their helmet (did someone say helmet?) off the back of their pack? And what about wheelchair users? Think they own the telecabine or somethin'? Then there's the Winter Tyre Lobby - they can do whatever they like, Gods of the snowy road. Not going to be easy but I think there's a roadmap in here somewhere.
ski holidays
bum, I can supply the beer belly for that experiment Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

(1) (a) those lumbered with carrying childrens skis will be excused from the extra burden of removing back pack

NO, make them carry there own ropes, crampons and ice picks too!

Don't know the're born, when I were a lad...
ski holidays
...wi ad to walk up cable barefoot carryin' 'ovis? Smile
snow conditions
Gadge, ye 'ad 'ovis, toff.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, it were snap fer t'gaffer, we ad t'eat yella snow Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy