Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Old ??

Poster: A snowHead
I was watching todays mens Super G on Eurosport and thought John Clark's comments regarding Patrick Jaerbyn's age (over 40) a little out of order. John was saying that perhaps it was time for him to hang up his boots due to his age. On the latest FIS list Patrick is ranked 25th in the world at Downhill & 41st in Super G. Not bad for a guy over 40 and i think higher than John Clark ever achieved Puzzled

There is also a Swiss guy doing masters racing, if the web site is correct, over 90 years old !!!!!!!

If you are still fit and competative why shouldn't you still compete.

Any thoughts Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stewart woodward, agreed, I can't see any problem with it, if they've still got it, they've still got it, (re fitness etc as you've mentioned) it doesn't matter how old they are really Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
John Clark doesn't know what he is talking about in any event. Someone's (sorry forgot who) ski came off in this race and he said that it was because he had his weight on the inside ski. What?????

And it's PJ's attitude and skills that count, not his age.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stewart woodward wrote:
There is also a Swiss guy doing masters racing, if the web site is correct, over 90 years old !!!!!!!

There is, he was skiing just fine this weekend.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maggi wrote:
John Clark doesn't know what he is talking about in any event. Someone's (sorry forgot who) ski came off in this race and he said that it was because he had his weight on the inside ski. What?????

I think you'll find John Clark has forgotten more about skiing than 99% of the members of this forum have ever known!. He's been there, done that and has the T-shirt which makes him a very good commentator, just remember they some times make mistakes.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rob D wrote:
I think you'll find John Clark has forgotten more about skiing than 99% of the members of this forum have ever known

He's also a member of this forum.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stewart woodward, I sort of agree, but John did take his comment back later & Nick was very much for Partrick, as an older skier I'm all for it, but I think he's nuts!

maggi, It was absolutely clear on the slo mo that the outside ski was bouncing around in the turn and it appeared that this caused the pre-release. The outside ski will bounce like that when there is insufficient weight on it - hence John's comment. You are probably not aware but John has been British DH team, British team trainer, BASI Trainer and briefly world record holder in speed skiing. I always learn something from his commentary. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski,

dammmn - beat me to it - i watched that 5 or 6 timeson sky+ to work out what caused the release Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
Rob D wrote:
I think you'll find John Clark has forgotten more about skiing than 99% of the members of this forum have ever known

Well that does it for me - the guy clearly knows all there is to know wink Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stanley Matthews skied World Cup well into his 70's. No, wait a minute........

You're a long time retired. If you can still be competitive, and are better than the younger guys coming through - why not?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:

Well, that's a sure guarantee of knowledge and sense! rolling eyes Laughing

I just find his commentary annoying a lot of the time - but each to their own.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
maggi, Why? Not wishing to be rude, but you could learn a lot from watching carefully and listening to what he says - as can we all. I can understand people finding Nick slightly annoying when he gets so excited, but John? BTW Nick was also in the british team and BASI trainer, he was a slalom skier.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
John Clarke and Nick Fellows are Ace. Love em. They know there stuff and they are genuine nice people. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, he might be a great skier and I'm sure he's a thoroughly nice chap. But I don't find his commentary very accurate a lot of the time. For example he says someone is faster/slower than the person in the lead when he is obviously not - and the clock proves it. He also repeats himself a lot. Sometimes I wish they would all just shut up for a bit and just let me enjoy the skiing! (Yes, I could turn the sound off and sometimes I do Laughing .)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Järbyn's best results were in the mid to late 90's. He crashed at whistler
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=9890829

Quote:
Patrik Järbyn is a Swedish alpine skier. Despite never having won a World Cup race, Järbyn has two World Championship medals. At the 1996 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships in Sierra Nevada, Spain, he won the silver medal in super G. And in 2007 at Åre, Sweden, he became the oldest World Championship medalist in alpine skiing history by winning bronze in the downhill.

http://search.intelius.com/Patrik-Jarbyn

As with old boxers I suspect people are worrying for his health rather then just trying to get an 'old' man to retire.
snow conditions
Well I have read all the above comments regarding Nick Fellows and John Clark. My earlier observations do, I think, still stand. They should play back the race and their associated commentaries and often misplaced remarks/observations; where they frequently get it wrong. They may well be really nice men - I don't know them, but pretty please let the coverage tell the story, you don't have to talk all the time. Can I suggest that they listen to Matt Chilton who doesn't seem to find it necessary to add commentary to every turn on the piste. I love my skiing and have just come back from a month in the Three Valleys when I have been skiing for most of the last 35 years so I do know a little about skiing, honestly. I wonder what their commentary would be like had they been commentating on the Franz Klammer descent when he won the 1976 Olympic downhill. He kind of fell down the mountain at very high speed. Style was not his primary concern but winning was. We would have had all this, "He is in the back seat, he was low on that last gate, he is over skiing the course etc etc. Relax guys you are not doing yourselves any favours with misplaced comments. Play back the Eurosport race recordings and your commentaries and learn a little yourselves. You are never too old to learn something. Oh, and if you are in Meribel next month and you get a load of flesh snow get hold of a pair of Black Crows. They won't win you any races but in the deep they are fantastic fun as they are on just about anything but rock hard pistes where they can be a little bit skittish if you don't pay attention.
snow report
Quote:

Oh, and if you are in Meribel next month and you get a load of flesh snow get hold of a pair of Black Crows. They won't win you any races but in the deep they are fantastic fun as they are on just about anything but rosk hard pistes where they tend to be a bit skittish.

Lol Lol Lol, and they should listen to you because you Jim Blenkhórn are the best skier on the hill and let me guess... you happen to own a pair of Black Crows (you didn't even tell them which model they should get rolling eyes)
ski holidays
Ahhhh, yup I do now as does my wife.... I used to ski around on my GS racing skis and love them, but I was persuaded to try these Black Crows this year. They are a shed full of fun. And knickers: How did you know who it was?
snow conditions
Black Crow Orbs.
latest report
Cacciatore wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Rob D wrote:

Well that does it for me - the guy clearly will be up his own arris wink Laughing

FTFY.
snow conditions
Well it's sad that he has forgotten so much or maybe it is that you have a very low opinion of 99% of the people that contribute to this forum. I was actually trying to be constructive rather than taking cheap shots, but I guess it takes all kinds. I am not a teacher, a coach or anything like that and John may well be a very nice man. I don't know him or Nick Fellows; but the commentating falls a bit short of what one might reasonably expect from someone on television. No I couldn't do a better job. Just do as I suggest and play back this weekends races and commentary and you may just see that my observations are reasonably accurate. I will be intrigued to see what sort of comments they pass on the World Cup in Meribel. Yup, I would like to think that I am a pretty fair skier and I guess I could get several people to confirm that but; What has that got to do with anything?
latest report
Howard James, Why did you post this to a 5 year old thread ?
snow conditions
@Howard James, Do you realise that you responded to a thread that is nearly 5 years old when you posted at 10:46? Puzzled

Edit

rjs snap!
latest report
So yet more Murray Walker and Ted Lowe moments rolling eyes

It could be soo much worse....................... Imagine Davina McCall doing the commentary Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
Howard James wrote:
Can I suggest that they listen to Matt Chilton who doesn't seem to find it necessary to add commentary to every turn on the piste.

Don't agree. He witters on about nothing too.

Quote:
Imagine Davina McCall doing the commentary

OK, it could be worse! Laughing
snow conditions
Like rjs and iSnowhead, i too am perplexed by the sudden revival of a thread laid to rest back in 2010 - even more so on reading Howard James's second sentence: "My earlier observations do, I think, still stand" Puzzled
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
Like rjs and iSnowhead, i too am perplexed by the sudden revival of a thread laid to rest back in 2010 - even more so on reading Howard James's second sentence: "My earlier observations do, I think, still stand" Puzzled

Don't you just love an inadvertent thread resurrection.

What was the thread title?
latest report
Oops. I didn't realise I had responded to a 5 year old thread. Guess what - I am not a computer whiz and I have no idea how this happened. Sorry folks. I think the first thread I responded to was something like the BBC or Eurosport ski coverage? and sought to compare the BBC commentaries with the Eurosport commentaries. My observation, which, as far as I can remember was just before Christmas, was that perhaps Messrs Fellows and Clark should ski the downhill, Super G, GS or slalom course before the race to show us all how it should be skied before commenting on the technique and execution of the worlds best skiers. Graham Bell (BBC I think) managed to do this and even commented, as I recall, as he skied down.

These are the worlds best skiers not some local club and, I would have thought, deserve a world class commentary. Nick and John get it wrong a bot too often and the proof is almost instant; Time checks, finishing times.......... Ah now I see where the dates come from.....SORRY.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy