Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thoren - Off Piste Advise for the Newby

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone advise some off piste locations in Val Thorens, Les Miniures, Meribel for an intermediate skier for first time going off piste.

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slidergirl, Here are a few to try:

The Lac de Lou run off the back of La Masse;
Down to St Martin from Mont de la Challe;
Mont Vallon, under the gondola;
Cote Brune, under the chairlift
Plan des Mains, under the chair

These are all relatively gentle, but make sure you have the appropriate equipment
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slidergirl, oh, and to get the best out of it, hire a guide
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When are you planning to be there?
Best bet is to hook up with 2,3 or 4 others and get a local to show you the routes.

We hold the EoSB in VT in April each year and use a guy from the ProSneige ski school called Philippe who is friendly, knows the place inside out and is very well disposed toward snowHeads.
We hardly ever do any walking, maybe 10 mins now and again, but very rarely use a piste far beyond getting on and off lifts.

Apart from getting to know the routes themselves, you also get a valuable insight into local risks etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slidergirl, be very careful, admin is always looking for fresh meat to help share the cost of his guide-addiction. One innocent young woman has already fallen prey this year... Toofy Grin but he's right.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes but you 'saved' her right stoatsbrother? And introduced her to your merry band of Gnarliatrics Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slidergirl, pretty much everywhere Patch has mentioned is pretty good and fairly mellow terrain. However, if you don't have avvy kit then please please get a guide (doesn't have to be a high mountain guide) who can hire you it and show you how to use it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
admin, nowt to do with me... if you can't be bothered to run a holiday in March which offers powder, gnarl and the finer teas available in Wimbledon... wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
admin, when you go out with Philippe at EOSB does the guide price include avalanche transceiver?

And going off topic, do avalanche transceivers from different manufacturers work together or does the group have to use the same manufacturer?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bikeandsnow, yes all transceivers work together although some are easier to use than others.
There is quite a big difference between using one in theory (totally simple principle) and actually using one, so it is a good idea to find/make opportunities to practice searching.
You really don't want to be doing it for the first time with the pressure of a buried friend to complicate things.

Yes, when we ski with Philippe there are a few transceiver packs available to borrow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bikeandsnow, They all work on the same frequencies, so no you don't have to use the same manufacturer, although I believe that there may be some differences with some American models. I'm sure stoatsbrother, will know. I'm not sure about whether Phillipe provides tranceivers, but you may well be able to borrow one from the assorted snowHead 's at the bash.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bikeandsnow, what admin & geepee, say. There is one aspect of extra functionality of one transceiver (the Pulse) which works better when you have the same transceiver - but that also has to be factory set for the same continent... Don't worry about it. The transceiver is mainly so the guide can recover your body.... Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slidergirl, stoatsbrother is correct, there is a definite problem of succumbing to guide addiction, which has seemingly become a minor problem for me this winter as i realised when i booked a 'cheap' weekend away, only to find that its now going to cost me double, because of the 'need' to ski with a guide.

stoatsbrother, admin, I'll fit in fine I'm sure. Just this morning I went into Wimbledon for a cup of tea and a pastry, although was rather disappointed with the selection of teas on offer. Furthermore, my darjeeling was served in a mug...no china, not even a saucer...absolutely terrible.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowgirl123 wrote:
Furthermore, my darjeeling was served in a mug...no china, not even a saucer...absolutely terrible.

Very expensive proper tea down that way. wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geepee, Laughing Laughing
latest report
geepee, It wasn't even proper tea, it was far too watery. You'd have thought they'd be able to do better, really you would. In retrospect, should have given it a miss and put the £1.95 in the ski guiding fund box instead. Bad decision all round really.
latest report
By George Stoaty, I think she's got it.
snow conditions
admin, She's doomed. Shocked Toofy Grin
ski holidays
2 bits of advice,

1 get a guide, as stated above it's the only real safe way to go.

2 has worked for me before. make friends of seasonairs in a bar with beer, beer, beer and the promise of more beer. Find someone who knows the mountain well, ask the bar/ski shop staff, who around the resort knows there stuff and sling it to them. Guide me and we'll get u some beer. Can work better for boys rather than girls. but i've found it can be a cheap and safer way then going by urself.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy