Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone Skiied Revelstoke, BC?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Anyone on the forum skied Revelstoke, BC? Can you share your experiences?

George
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes.Went there earlier this year for a day. Snow conditions weren't the greatest but I'd say from what we did ski it's a pretty good mountain with a really good mix of terrain. Would definitely go back when the conditions were right.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep - a couple of days of some of the best snow I' ve ever skied then a year later just about the coldest I've ever been. Many great lines and some long ones like the Gondi line but not for groomer or park fans I'd say.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes earlier this season snow was mixed visibility was non existent. it rained. The hire car was hit on the car park the ski boot filled with water on the walk across the car park.
Oh! the skiing part of the experience. There are no easy runs even the blues are steep at the top but become more blueish as you get lower down the slopes or become roads. There are a few nice blues under the "ripper chair". there where no queues. I would go back but only for a couple of days. Lots of off piste but only with a ski guide!
Book your accommodation well in advance, and check its not far out of town.
Don't count on driving from Calgary side the road was closed a lot last year, however this year it was OK. We drove from Kelowna.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As above, plenty of hardcore stuff and big vertical, but there are several better "all-round" resorts in interior BC eg. Big White, Silver Star, Sun Peaks. If you like the idea of gnarly frontier style adventure skiing, then Revelstoke would be a good choice. But otherwise I'd try any of the other 3 I mentioned first.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Don't count on driving from Calgary side the road was closed a lot last year

Just check on Rogers Pass before you go - had no problem getting from Kicking Horse last year, or the previous year. deffinately gnarley frontier skiing, if they have fresh snow its great for a few days. As uktrailmonster, says hardcore and big vert. Smile They dont list any double diamond runs in the resort Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The other thing is the 'exciting rollers' on some of the front-side groomers - make sure you don't ignore the slow signs!! Happy
Not been to Big White, told by the pros to give it a miss and go to Silver Star instead. Big White is probably good for not so tough skiing from what I've heard, we also gave it a miss because it was ridiculously expensive to stay there - quite a lot more than Whistler!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stuarth wrote:
The other thing is the 'exciting rollers' on some of the front-side groomers - make sure you don't ignore the slow signs!! Happy
Not been to Big White, told by the pros to give it a miss and go to Silver Star instead. Big White is probably good for not so tough skiing from what I've heard, we also gave it a miss because it was ridiculously expensive to stay there - quite a lot more than Whistler!!

Absolutely, you don't want to be going to Big White and skiing in my fresh lines. In reality it's an intermediate skier's paradise with plenty of accessible challenges for any level and almost unlimited off-piste action. Only a serious adrenalin junkie (i.e. not your average Brit club skier) would find it too tame. Silver Star does have more marked steeps, but the trade off is less intermediate terrain. You can also ski both with a dual mountain pass, they're only a couple of hours apart.

Out of interest, where did you look for prices and at what time? It's not more expensive than Whistler like for like accommodation.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went last Jan for a few days. Was warm low down but great above mid-station. Easily accessible steeps. Loads of tree skiing. I would say it's got something for everyone. Not the wander-along-a-ridge and drop off into one of 20 chutes like Kicking Horse, more of a big resort feel (without the queues and crap food of Whistler). Definitely recommend it! May be going back next week. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are heading to Calgary on 19th Feb and are skiing:-

- 2 days at Kicking Horse;
- 2 days at Revelstoke; and
- 2 days with K3 Catskiing.

We've not been to any of the above before and are looking forward to the trip - despite the comments above on rain etc. Shocked Is that a common occurrence in Revelstoke?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bergmeister, rain can be found in Revelstoke town, as its quite low. This usually means snow on the mountain tho Toofy Grin

first time we went - 2008 we woke up to rain in the town. We had driven from Banff stopping at Kicking Horse as when we saw the rain we nearly didnt ski. But having gone all that way we thought we might as well see what it was like. Had the best days powder skiing in a while Toofy Grin. That was in March though, so with cooler temps you might be lucky.

When we went back in 2009 we arrived with the snow to end their drought, then had blue sky days with fresh pow. It doesnt get any better.

Have a great time Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi All,

Some advice for a European looking to ski in BC for the first time

Thinking of going to Revelstoke in a group of six (4 heli-ski/off piste level skiers and two intermediates) in 2012 (finances do not permit in 2011 'fraid).....was thinking of 2 weeks with a 3/4 days of cat and a 3 days of heli (Selkirk Tangiers) thrown in towards the end.....

Would 10 days - two weeks be too long in Revel? Puzzled
i.e. should we consider multiple venue (e.g. with Kicking Horse, Lake Louise, Big Star etc...?

Also, what is the best time of year to go? We are flexible to go out of school holidays.....Are the horror stories of ultra-freezing temps in January true?!

I guess renting a car/4x4 would be essential too.....

Sorry for the all the questions but would appreciate the "non-Travel-Agent" advice.....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi htegala - welcome to snowHeads

Not been to Revelstoke but have been to Kicking Horse where I also got 2 day's heli-skiing in the Purcells. Last year, did a week in Fernie with a day's cat skiing. Both times at end of Jan beginning of Feb.
BC is fanbloodytastic and has a great frontier feel to it along with equally wild skiing. For two weeks I would definitely advise a bit of a road trip to a couple of other options as unless you're into backcountry, the resort areas can be a little small.
Yes, it can get gut droppingly cold - I've never been colder - but the Canucks are onto it and run in resort weather warnings if it gets to fostbite levels.
We had an ordinary saloon car with chains (which we never needed) but in retrospect, should've taken a 4x4 for safety and reassurance.
Like anywhere you can get lucky wid da legendary Canadian fresh stuff but you can also find youself on ice and hardpack.
It's a whole different ski holiday experience to Europe - a lot more laid back. (Food not as good tho).
Enjoy it (am envious)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Big Paua wrote:
Hi htegala - welcome to snowHeads

Not been to Revelstoke but have been to Kicking Horse where I also got 2 day's heli-skiing in the Purcells. Last year, did a week in Fernie with a day's cat skiing. Both times at end of Jan beginning of Feb.
BC is fanbloodytastic and has a great frontier feel to it along with equally wild skiing. For two weeks I would definitely advise a bit of a road trip to a couple of other options as unless you're into backcountry, the resort areas can be a little small.
Yes, it can get gut droppingly cold - I've never been colder - but the Canucks are onto it and run in resort weather warnings if it gets to fostbite levels.
We had an ordinary saloon car with chains (which we never needed) but in retrospect, should've taken a 4x4 for safety and reassurance.
Like anywhere you can get lucky wid da legendary Canadian fresh stuff but you can also find youself on ice and hardpack.
It's a whole different ski holiday experience to Europe - a lot more laid back. (Food not as good tho).
Enjoy it (am envious)
Big Paua....many thanks for the welcome. Have been using SnowHeads for a while....but passively till now (ski equipment reviews especially....) !!!
This trip is going to need some active snowHeads input !
Thanks for the tips...much appreciated. End-Jan/beginning Feb looks like the time we are likely to go....so this is spot-on !
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We stayed in Revelstoke for 3 days last year skiing OK but it poured down !! in the day time and snowed at night. The roads were slippy and the runs back to the base a no go zone. Someone smashed the backlight and the bumper on the car in the car park (Spot the bill from the car hire firm) The weather and the car damage took the shine off the trip.
The skiing was a bit mixed some really good bits and some not so good.
Book accomadation well in advance we left it a bit late and endend up part way down arrow lake! Resturants one good one and a couple of ok ones, all busy all close relatively early. We went back to the B+B one night showered changed and went back to revelstoke and could not find any where to eat all full. So we ended up at some where we did not want to go but the kids did......
4x4 was needed we were on a road trip and went to Sun Peaks/ Big White/ Silver Star we took 3 weeks.
ski holidays
htegala, Welcome to snowHead

I would think 10 days deffinately too long in Revvy - Try Kicking Horse and from Revvy head south via ferry, to Whitewater and Red Mtn. you wont regret it Smile

Have a great trip and the 4x4 is well worth the cost.

If looking for some great food, resonably priced and a good atmosphere try The Great White North bar and grill, just out of town and where the locals head. We had a fantastic meal which didnt break the bank. Madeye-Smiley

Have a great trip - we did Toofy Grin
snow report
Sorry....had to change my userID for admin purposes...

Thanks to all for the tips and advice.
It looks like multi-resort approach would be the one to take especially for a group of 6 "experienced"/seasonned skiers.....
I like the look of both Silver Star and Kicking Horse.
Now just need to check out the heli-cat combos !
snow conditions
Just had my first day at Revelstoke.
This mountain is truly epic. Amazing long 1700m vertical runs from top to bottom, perfect uniform gradient all the way, sh*t loads of snow, stunning scenery, very efficient fast lift system. It is a model for all ski areas. The only gripe is the ridiculously early closing time. (2.30pm for the Ripper chair, 3pm for the other lifts)

Really hoping we score a true fresh tracks powder day here before we head to Kicking Horse on Monday evening.
ski holidays
htegala - at Fernie we were lucky enough to get a one day place on the Island Lake Catskiing operation.

As I understand it normally you usually have to stay in their lodge and book a week or at least a few days all in with them. We were fortunate to have a one-time local in our party who got us in for just a day's skiing. Morning was firkin cold, foggy and overcast but the afternoon turned into bluebird heaven and the guides took us to an area which had been closed for two weeks previous due to avvy risk. There was just slopes and bowls of fresh untracked Canadian powder all round! I have to say it was one of those ski days I will remember while drooling into me 'orlicks as I sit in God's chairlift waiting for that final run. There was a LOT of hysterical and slightly insane giggling and grinning going on all afternoon and well into the apres.

So I would check the Island Lake operation out although there are two others also based there. It was exhausting and the terrain was at the edge of my ability (I flatter myself with the rating "lower end of expert and a passive unfit one at that"), the exposure on one of the ridges freaked my mojo and I needed a little hand holding from a guide but I still wouldn't have been anywhere else on the planet that day.

Town next to Kicking Horse is Golden and it used to have just two pubs. The Roadside Tavern (helpful name) was where the mountain staff (girls and boys) used to hang out along with a whole bunch of other hairy folk - loggers, miners, train drivers and guards, friends of KD Lang etc etc. There was a very bad ceiling to floor mural of Elvis, Hank Williams and Robert Johnson. It was also the venue for an institution called Fresh Meat Monday where on Monday nights they got a stripper in from Calgary and every time you bought a jug of beer you automatically got a raffle ticket. (prize had jackpotted to $C800 the night we were there; nobody was interested in the stripper ). I would definitely recommend a visit - it was an extremely friendly, welcoming and hospitable pub however if you were to win the raffle I would strongly advise you as an out of towner just to put the money back over the bar...

Purcell Heliskiing was/is based in Golden. The terrain we skied with them was much more within my skills range.

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Which way are you planning on coming from - i.e Calgary or Vancouver as Revelstoke is quite a long way from either. You can fly into Kelowna as well which is closer but still a fair drive and it is worth planning some extra time as roads can be closed for avalanche control.

If you can afford it some time in a cat lodge will be better than day trips but you do tend to loose a ski day to the logistics.

It can get very cold but that is unusual and the closer you are to the coast the warmer it generally is.

From a town perspective I much prefer Revelstoke to Golden (Kicking Horse); it just seems nicer and with more choice of food / lodging.

Some websites that might be of assistance http://www.powderhighway.com/mountain-vitals.php
ski holidays
Hi Sweaman,
I was planning on coming in from Calgary and travelling up to Revelstoke by rental car.....
I've heard some stories about roads being closed, but that is going to be pot luck I guess....can't legislate for that.
We are definitely wanting to do both cat and heli....it's all part of the experience !

Thank you for the link....will be good for the research.
htl

Smile
snow report
sweaman2,

Some good advice, thank you.

We looked at flying to Kelowna (which we've done in the past) but the additional cost was astronomical - an extra £500 for the two of us Shocked So we're making do with flights to Calgary and car rental (for £170 for the week), breaking the journey at Golden (on the way west) to ski at Kicking Horse before heading on to Revelstoke and then K3 cat skiing. Very Happy

We are doing a couple of days skiing with K3 and are basing ourselves in the valley, rather than in a lodge. We have skiied with Monashee Cat Skiing in the past (and stayed in their lodge, which was great) and managed to squeeze in a morning at Silver Star prior to the cat skiing pick up later that day. The cat skiing was incredible, with chest deep (and over the head) powder Very Happy Very Happy

However, this year we are staying in the valley and are benefitting from 2 days of cat skiing for less than the price of 1 night (and 1 day's skiing) in a cat skiing lodge. We prefer an extra day in deep powder to a night in a(n albeit) cozy lodge... wink

Less than 4 weeks to go! Very Happy
snow conditions
About road closure: highway 1 was recently closed between Lake Louise and Golden for (as far as I remember) 4 days straight! That happened only one week ago.
snow report
4 days straight is quite unusual though I think - more often overnight or a morning. There was exceptional avalanache risk last week.
snow conditions
axci, sweaman2, Yup I know someone who got stuck there on Friday, 93 was also shut, so he came back via fernie. Quite long way round..............
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy