Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone in Les 2 Alpes 27th March - 3 April ???

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all Madeye-Smiley Cool
Hopefully you've clicked on this topic because you are in or about Les 2 Alpes in 3 weeks?!?! I will be there and i can't wait!
Posted this really as i'm there with family and maybe looking for additional company during this time! I'm a friendly scouser, not age-ist (is that how you spell it) or sexist(??) able to chitter chatter away Shock)
Usually just meet people in lessons / over there, but thought since i'm on this site i'd say "hi, hello, how are you" in advance Shock)
Get in touch, PM or email me at scouselibby@hotmail.com,
Libby Cool x Razz
p.s. skiing wise... i try... it's not good but i try rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Scouselibby, shame you're not there the week before that as there will be a group of us there. If you contact Easiski she will probably know who's about. Check out her regular thread on the resort: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55869&highlight=
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scouselibby, Hi! There will be a large number of peeps, some are snowheads here, many of whom are skiing with me at various points of the day. We would all be delighted to include you and your family in the 'club' Very Happy Contact me via my website or a PM.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scouselibby, I'll be there along with my 14 year old daughter. As easiski, mentioned there will be quite a lot of snowheads and others there that week including quite a few youngsters (mostly skiing better than the parents). Easter is usually quite a sociable get together there, this will be my 4th year in a row. Look forward to meeting up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scouselibby, We'll be there from the 31st Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll be there all that week as well! It would be nice to meet some other snowheads while I'm there. Are you fully booked for private lessons that week, easiski?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevehaskew, yes - but have the odd space in max 4 groups. Adults decent intermediates, reds OK; kids same level (younger teenagers).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok, thanks for the info. Am looking to get lessons focussed on going off-piste.. maybe next time!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey all,

Thanks for replying everyone! It's my birthday today Cool , although not too happy to be a year older (seemed to happen from 24 onwards lol) anyway i'll look the same with hat and scarf around my head Shock)

So we have no lessons booked as yet - i usually prefer to join a group as it's a good way of meeting people. I've PM'ed easiski, as i'm starting to worry that i need to book lessons soon Puzzled ~ hhmmm~ Puzzled My uncle says he'll take me up, not to bother with the group - but skiied twice now at last NY and NY before, and had lessons both times - can't imagine not having lessons - what you think?

So what's the resort like? Can't wait!!!! Libby x
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stevehaskew, If you are already confident in varied conditions I'm really hoping to take a fair bunch over to La Grave towards the end of the week. Very Happy There are still plenty of people for you to ski with though, so do make yourself known. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sounds good but my technical skiing ability is pretty rubbish Shock(

But i do try and i make up for it in enthusiasm Blush
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, Oooh a repeat of last year's excursion sounds good! A reminder of last year.

La Grave, La Meije
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colin B, Local info tells me the snow is really good at LG. Very Happy there is certainly more than last year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, I think the Derby had tracked everything out last year, in fact I've just noticed it is on the 2nd April this year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin B, Yes - on the Friday, we will have to choose our day carefully. Little Angel
latest report
Colin B, depends where you go, the Derby only really uses the Vallons de la Meije so Chancel, which IMO is an easier ski, won't see the traffic. Also when over that side it's worth remembering that Banane is only about as steep as the top of Valentin albeit for longer and it's narrower; the hidden couloir is even less steep although it can have a narrow entry (or you could jump in ~ 3ft drop wink) Patou is similar with a nicer entry but a long traverse above cliffs to get to it although it's pretty easy and it would be hard to fall off. They'll all be mogulled too so in spring snow, which I'd expect in April, a fall in any of these couloirs would most likely be of little consequence. However, the queues for the lift system would make going over on race day infeasible if you really want to ski. I thought I had some photos of the days after the race last season but we spent that time in Montgenevre as they had more snow and then it was Easter and we began to play catch up at AdH instead so didn't go back to La Grave until after the next big dump.
snow conditions
Swirly, Shocked I'll be following easiski, and the party will be largely made up of kids (who admittedly are the better skiers). I'm not sure which route we took last year, It must have been either Vallons de la Meije or Chancel. I don't expect (hope) couloirs will come into the equation. Still nice to experience La Grave though.
ski holidays
Quote:

It must have been either Vallons de la Meije or Chancel.

Roughly speaking Chancel is skiers left of the cable car with a long traverse back to P1 or town and Vallons skiers right with what seems a long traverse until you do Chancel. I'm honestly not trying to sandbag here with talk of couloirs (unlike when I suggest Voute or Muratouse/Mines). The hidden one is no steeper than Diable and although the entry can be rocky for a metre or so it's easily wide enough to sideslip or sidestep. The chute itself is then probably about 1/4 the width of Diable (so wider than you might think from the term couloir) but less than 1/4 the length (the lake couloirs are really short). It's just instead of piste poles you have walls. If you can ski to town at L2A at the end of the day you can ski it, in fact the steep pitch at the top of Vallons de la Meije is steeper albeit wider with the rock wall only on one side. Until I'd ridden a few the term "couloir" was a bit of an issue for me and I was fairly het up over getting my first one done, probably a bit too much as I made a royal mess of Banane which annoyed me enough to get straight back up the lift to do it properly.

I'm certain Easiski will find you a fun time whatever you do anyway.
snow report
Swirly, I don't know that side nearly well enough to take kids there or their parents. Sad
latest report
easiski, obviously you can't take a group there without knowing the run fairly well but it's worth a look at some point: follow the bumps under the lift straight down until you can trend left. Stay left without any big traverses until just below the Chancel hut (on the right at this point is a good rock to eat lunch on: it's where the classic photos of Banane are taken where it looks super steep). After this head back right to the trees, there are wooden arrows pointing right on the trees to hut the traverse, I never got low enough but there are a few levels of traverse and Hamish said the lowest has a rope below it to stop you going too far into the woods. After a long traverse (heavily tracked and bumpy unless you got first lift on a powderday and kept ahead of the locals) you end up under the lift. The traverse is the only essential part to the route finding as if you miss it you're in the Freaux at best but you'd have to be skiing blindfolded to miss it especially if you go right as soon as you're below the hut.

Even if you don't trend left early you aren't committed to the couloirs, they're easily avoided with a traverse left until you're in the mouth of bannane*. Once again if it's more than a day after fresh snow the line is obvious. The lines into them are once again obvious from the tracks: they're the only place you can go if you head right above the lake. For some reason the guides don't (or didn't) seem to take groups down the hidden very often. But it seemed to us that they would take the La Grave introductory group down Patou first and then Banane on the next run down. Patou's easier but I don't think you'd like the traverse, it's very wide and if you stay high you're a long way from the edge. As it gets less traffic the hidden is less bumped and you don't need to go anywhere near a cliff to get into it, only problem is you can't scope the line first without climbing up round the far side of the lake. I guess it would be really hard to schedule but any chance you could get Jutta to go over with you, it'd only take one run but I guess it would be hard to plan the time?

* Or you can take the big rightwards traverse high up to get to the Breche Pacave and drop back into Vallons, basically you keep as far right as you can after the first pitch and it's obvious but this might be making directions more complex.

Edit to add: I'm certain the group will always have fun in Vallons, just trying to think of variations that would make it more interesting for you.
ski holidays
easiski, I'm probably not quite up to scratch, but I would absolutely *love* to go over to La Grave! I'll have to meet up with you guys early in the week so that you can tell me if I'll be able to do it!
snow conditions
Swirly, That's the problem. Jutta and I have been planning to ski together for years, and never managed to do it. OTOH she's a freerider, and I can't bear to go faster at the end of a turn than at the beginning, so we're not exactly a good match! Laughing Laughing

stevehaskew, Yes - I'm not hard to find. Tourist offices, Ski Extreme .... website etc. Very Happy
ski holidays
Well i understand very little of this conversation - is it about snow regions over there?!?!? Hhhhhmmm!

Anyway easiski has me booked in for the week i'm over there! I'm very excited about the holiday (JUST 4 DAYS AWAY NOW!!) - really hope i can keep up with you guys Confused I'll try my best anyways....!

Mum is booking some 1 :1 lessons as advised also.

Up to my ears with assessments (yes we do them in nursery too!) so can't wait for that bell on Friday Razz
ski holidays
Any of you guys want to meet at some point? I'm now around, enjoyed the powder today! Would be good to see some snowheads! Probably best if we PM mobile numbers.
ski holidays
stevehaskew, give me a bell, and I'll tell you where/when we're all meeting. Very Happy
ski holidays
Scouselibby, Was lovely to meet you and your family, hope you had a safe journey home Very Happy
snow report
Home safe and sound.... but already looking at booking next skiing adventure!!!

Thanks for making us feel welcome, hope to visit again (either Easter or Feb half term school holidays!) and maybes will see you all again Very Happy

Libby, Uncle Tim and Mum Gill Very Happy

P.S My camera packed in so could anyone email any photographs - want to show my friends where i've been!!!
scouselibby@hotmail.com thank you, thank you x x
snow conditions
Sorry guys, I totally failed at trying to meet up with you all. I had a superb week, though! Beautiful weather on Thursday/Friday to give a great end to the week.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevehaskew, sorry we missed you. I think it was the day I forgot my camera that you were at the Patachon! Sad Glad you had a good week though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy