Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British and American Olympic associations Reach Landmark Bilateral Agreement

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The British Olympic Association (BOA) and United States Olympic Committee (USOC) announced today the establishment of a bilateral agreement designed to benefit aspiring Olympic athletes and Olympic sport not only in their two countries, but worldwide...

The landmark agreement was finalised in San Francisco following the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games by British Olympic Association Chairman Lord Colin Moynihan and United States Olympic Committee Chairman Larry Probst.

Through the bilateral agreement, the BOA and USOC will take steps to:

* Jointly establish a Congress to take place in 2011 in London to develop and share information on best practices in National Governing Body leadership.

* Work to bring together National Olympic Committees and private sector expertise to assist the process of taking forward the 2009 Olympic Congress resolutions on new digital technologies.

* Establish a joint forum to share best practices in the development of Youth and Education Programmes in sport and recreation.

* Explore areas of cooperation in winter sports in preparation for the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, particularly in sports governed by the Federation Internationale de Ski (FIS). Specific opportunities will include coaching and technical exchanges, winter-sport training camps and other high performance programs.

* Explore partnership opportunities between British Ski & Snowboarding and the United States Ski & Snowboard Association to assist in the establishment of British Ski & Snowboarding as a model National Governing Body.

* Coordinate issues of mutual interest in planning for the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Colin Moynihan said: "This is a groundbreaking Agreement between two National Olympic Committees with a shared commitment to support the growth of the Olympic Movement not only in our own countries, but worldwide.

"For the BOA, this Agreement also represents an invaluable opportunity to provide an additional pathway of critical support for our winter sport athletes and, in particular, those athletes affected by the recent collapse of the former National Governing Body for ski and snowboard sport in the UK."

USOC Chairman Larry Probst said: "The special relationship between Great Britain and the United States has been bolstered by this Agreement. Lord Moynihan is to be commended for his commitment to partnership and advancing the important ideals of the Olympic Movement.

"Our goal coming into the Vancouver Olympic Winter Games was to continue our efforts to engage the global Olympic Movement, learn from other National Olympic Committees and where possible, share our own expertise.

"With this Agreement, and others we've signed during these Games, I believe we have made progress against that objective. I look forward to working closely and collaboratively in the coming years with Lord Moynihan, Andy Hunt and the entire BOA."

Moynihan stated further: "Relations between the BOA and USOC have always been close, but with this agreement, and with partners such as Larry Probst and Scott Blackmun, we enter a new era of trust, respect and collaboration. In just over two years, we will welcome the world to London for the 2012 Olympic Games, and now is the perfect time to strengthen long-standing friendships and develop new ones."
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dwarf Vader wrote:

* Explore areas of cooperation in winter sports in preparation for the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, particularly in sports governed by the Federation Internationale de Ski (FIS). Specific opportunities will include coaching and technical exchanges, winter-sport training camps and other high performance programs.

* Explore partnership opportunities between British Ski & Snowboarding and the United States Ski & Snowboard Association to assist in the establishment of British Ski & Snowboarding as a model National Governing Body.

Let's hope the Yanks can sort out the mess of the bankrupt SSGB and the squabbling home nations!

PS: Thanks for being a very effective news service Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Establishing "a model national governing body" looks promising. And training with the Americans certainly helped Finlay Mickel.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lord Colin Moynihan, ? Oh yes of course I met him a couple of times when he was such a good Minister for Sport.
Someone wrote a book just for him. ifirc it was called small man syndrome wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whatever.

Has anyone asked USSA whether they want anything to do with this ? I guess we could pay them back by helping US junior racers to get starts in European FIS races.

I'm still not sure there was all that much wrong with the old governing body, or that anything could be changed without a much bigger budget. People may not like the idea of there being Home Nation organizations but they need to exist as long as there are separate Sport England/Scotland/Wales funding bodies and a different legal system in Scotland. The Modernization proposals didn't really change this, just change their names a bit to provide a stronger "brand" for all the parts.

I guess that skimottaret and I may get a chance to find out some more next week, we will be at a race with Lord M's kids so he may be there too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The phase "Explore" us used to often, When a committee decides to Explore it usually means they dont know what to do or how to advance the project so they hope something turns up. Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, soz wont be there, got a gig in italy teaching next week....

any news would be good to hear though! personally not being a brit i really cant understand why there needs to be separate home nations and funding bodies, GB skiers compete as GB athletes. so what if there are legal differences and funding avenues, seems to be similar the States with respective states having very different local laws, funding and government structures yet there aren't separate governing bodies for sport just a top level one with regional groups being grass roots organisations without governing powers. Snowsports in britain doesnt have enough depth to warrant numerous bodies IMO.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, There's a disease in Britain called "little man's committee syndrome" It's symptoms are a self importance that you must have your say.
The outcome of this illness a plague of committees through the land which prevents common sense and prevents a move forward to a cure.

It's a sad thing to see and it's getting worst. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dwarf Vader, yeah i agree but you would think that there will be someone that controls the bulk of the funding who could say 'your previous organisation of a million overlapping committees failed' give me a new one that is streamlined and will actually work.

i seem to have heard mentioned here somewhere that cycling is considered a model sports organisation at all levels and well run. couldnt snowsports look at best practice within other organisations? of course not what am i thinking, skiing is completely unique, has hugely complex issues and couldnt possibly change for the better.... 'SnowSport wales' just sounds so dumb, why dont we have snowsports channel islands?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs wrote:
People may not like the idea of there being Home Nation organizations but they need to exist as long as there are separate Sport England/Scotland/Wales funding bodies and a different legal system in Scotland.

I don't think that is correct, in a legal sense. I've run a programme which operated nationally but was in receipt of funding from devolved funding agencies. You just make sure when you sign the agreement for the funding that there is a clear understanding of how the money should be spent, including any geographic limitations. Pretty simple really.

I see no reason why Sports Wales, for example, couldn't fund a GB snowsport body and stipulate that the money is to be spent supporting grass roots racing in Wales or racers selected to represent Wales in home nations competitions.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy