Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you go on a ski trip if you weren't able to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of going to chamonix may day bank. I am still recovering from a knee op so won't be able to ski. The lads I am going with will be skiing. I was planning to do some biking and walking and probably eat a lot. Good or bad idea? On one hand I haven't been to the hills for a year now and it could motivate me even more to get fit, it could also be torture being surrounded by skiers and not being able to do it-whaddya reckon?!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gsyfreerider, probably a stupid question if you can do biking or walking why can't you ski?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would - your trip sounds fun. The main downside will be having to listen to their war stories over beers/dinner each evening. But that's a little price to pay for being in the hills. If it's dry the weather in the valley will be a wonderful temperature for biking and walking.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't go. Having been injured early on a couple of ski trips, I know that being out of the skiing is dreadful. It's the evenings. You try to be happy that everybody else is having such a great time skiing - but actually you are miserable that you are missing out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends where. I'd occasionally need to be able to get out of the resort completely, for some sightseeing. So if it were somewhere with good trains, and lovely in its own right, like the Jungfrau Region, or Klosters/Davos or (with a car) somewhere not far from, say, Annecy or Geneva - yes I would. But a French concrete jungle eg Espace Killy, where skiing is the be all and end all - no thanks. (Presumably there are also lots of places in Austria eg near Salzburg which fulfil these criteria, but I hardly know Austria.)

Edit: oh, sorry, I've just seen you said Chamonix. Definitely a place I'd go to - with a car.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd go, but only if I had a car. A few day trips to other places, getting to know the resort more than you would if you were skiing for most of the day, the majesty of the mountains, etc, etc. Sounds like a nice holiday. Yes, it's going to be frustrating not being able to ski, but a bad day in the mountains is better than a good day in the office...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes I would. Especially if there were walking trails in the mountains. I just love mountains though. I guess it would depend on how much it would cost you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

a bad day in the mountains is better than a good day in the office...

very true indeed!

From a personal point of view, I would probably batteling with a dragon-sized green eyed monster hovering on my shoulder (but then I have never been able to bring myself to take even a single day out of ski holiday for shopping or alternative activies) and consequently would feel sorry for myself despite the fabulus mountain scenery or rather because of it!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gsyfreerider..............donkey, of course you should go.

Im sure you will get fustrated when they go skiing but you will still be in the mountains soaking up the ambience etc etc. Get out, go for walks, go sightseeing and just enjoy being surrounded by the Alps !!

like it has been stated before....a bad day in the mountains is better than a good day in Guernsey Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gsyfreerider, for a few days, yes, for a week, no - too long and you'll get bored
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What about trying snowbiking - easy to pick up (took us maybe 30mins to get the hang of it), way easier on your knees as you're sitting down, and then you can still get around the slopes. Granted you're not gonna gett he same speeds as your mates will skiing, but they're still capable on reasonable terrain - our trainer took us offpiste down some powdery moguls, 'twas hilarious lol!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So what you are really asking is 'Would you go on holiday in the mountains if you couldn't ski?'

Let me think about th.....yes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, what a great idea. Next time I see one I wont think "why?".
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No, total waste of money
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't think I would. Ski resorts can be rather boring aside from skiing unless you want to drink all day.
snow report
I'd not choose to do it.

However, if I had booked a trip with wife and kid and one us could not ski, and I could not change dates, we'd still go.

As it happend I'm going in 2 weeks, 12 months after ACL reconstruction and I doubt very much I'll be able to ski everyday.
snow report
Definitely (if you have a car). Chamonix has a lot going for it apart from skiing, and at that time of year there will be other people there not skiing. Many nice places in the vicinity, St. Gervaix, Megeve, good walks around.
latest report
Depends which of your dodgy mates you'll be with. Cool
snow report
Definatley, although biking IMO is more dangerous than skiing. Is there no possibility you could ski, but take it much easier, maybe ski half days?

If not, i suppose Chamonix is one of the best resorts for non-skiiers, i'd do it.
snow conditions
,Gsyfreerider, done it several times over the years. Last time I snapped my ACL badly just 3 weeks before a trip with a friend. You enjoy the craic; get out of the rehab routine (only those who have done a long hard rehab can appreciate how much that is worth) and as rob@rar says any day in the mountains is worth more than one in the office!

You know you can't ski so if you are prepared with alternative things to do, the little green-eyed monster is kept at bay (most of the time anyway wink )

BTW we were given an upgrade to a private suite at no extra cost as the hotelier knew me and felt my original room was too far from the facilities for someone on crutches! And I got massages thrown in for free instead of a ski pass.

I bought walker's tickets to meet up with my friend for lunch occasionally at mountain restaurants. But they have a better network of chairs and cable cars for use also by non-skiers in Austria. In France I just met them at the bottom of the slopes.
ski holidays
Gsyfreerider, for you, in your case, I'd say great go. However, as it happens I have just cancelled a 2 week holiday to Canada because I've been advised not to ski due to a bad back. There is no way I am not skiing for 2 weeks in a ski resort. Sad
snow report
IncogSkiSno wrote:
Gsyfreerider, for you, in your case, I'd say great go. However, as it happens I have just cancelled a 2 week holiday to Canada because I've been advised not to ski due to a bad back. There is no way I am not skiing for 2 weeks in a ski resort. Sad

sorry to hear, you must be gutted
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, very sorry to hear that. I was gutted when I had to cancel my ski trip in 2007. I consoled myself by thinking I wasn't missing much because the snow wasn't that good.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, Sad

I wouldn't. It would drive me crazy. I'd bank the time and dosh for the next season.
snow report
stoatsbrother, yep, that's the plan, and like you I would go crazy and probably get too tempted to ski (if able). Unfortunately I can't change the time off I've booked, and I dont' get holiday or sick pay, so just taking unpaid time out.

queen bodecia, funnily enough I don't think the snow is anywhere near as good as it should be, so that is some consolation.

Chris Brookes, yes gutted, but I have accepted that it is for the best I don't go. Having the injury bought on whilst on a skiing holiday, the thought of it happening again on a 2 week trip, far outweighs the disappointment of not skiing somehow, as it was not pleasant. Skullie
snow conditions
Hang on a minute....May bank holiday? Are your friends planning on doing a lot of touring? I'd hazard a guess that if you were to go biking and walking in May, Chamonix or not, that you will not be alone.....
latest report
Mosha Marc, thankfully not the ones your're thinking of! Actually all 3 of them were over this weekend for my 40th and were in good form.

Chris Brookes, Why on Earth would I ever want to take advice from a crapaud?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you a real one or an import?! Laughing

It is only going to be a weekend, rob@rar, made a good point, I am missing the mountains like crazy and if the weather is good the valley is a nice place to be, and I could always hop over to Italy and have a trillion course lunch at Maison de Filippo in Courmayeur. Actually F*ck it, I won't do any exercise and just eat all weekend. The Voice of Reason, Invariably you can get some amazing snow in May, I've had some epic powder days on previous May Day Bank Holidays. stevew, I am only 3 months in to post op ACL reconstruction a long way from being able to ski so doing anything slightly gnarly is out of the question.
latest report
Gsyfreerider wrote:

[b]Chris Brookes
, Why on Earth would I ever want to take advice from a crapaud?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you a real one or an import?! Laughing

im a half bean m8, i think you are the only donkey on this forum.....well....some might disagree... Laughing Laughing

Nice to see you here and i hope you get on your board/skis asap !!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes, no he isn't! I'm from the island as well as are my family going back to the pirates in Elizabethan times! St Saviours and St Sampson's are our stomping grounds and I've the Guernseys to prove it! Toofy Grin

I just can't afford to live there because of all the bloody tax dodgers and rich incomers Crying or Very sad But the Alps is a good alternative as well as being cheaper. wink
ski holidays
Gsyfreerider, Yes definitely go, we're still going at Easter, I'm going to buy a Pedestrian lift pass and be a 'spectator'!
snow report
IncogSkiSno, awful luck !!
latest report
Samerberg Sue, do you ski in your Guernsey? IncogSkiSno, I have a chronic back so I sympathise, I'm sure you'll be back soon.
latest report
Gsyfreerider, no, I've only ever been back to visit family and friends. Can you ski anything other than water in Sarnia?

I dive the area though whenever I can! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I've done it twice, first time just before ACL reconstruction. There was a bit of envy, but no pressure to get up in the mornings so I did lots of drinking and lazing around. As I had saved money on lift pass, ski hire etc, I did loads of other stuff instead - snow shoeing, dog sled, swimming, walking, massage, riding gondolas and enjoying the scenery. Second time I was pregnant and had a 2 1/2 yr, so unfortunately didn't get to do much drinking or lazing around, but still enjoyed it. Go for it.
snow conditions
Depends who is paying for the trip wink
ski holidays
Gsyfreerider, so what are you going to do ?
latest report
no way
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, I think I'll go although I will have to miss us whupping you in the muratti if I go that weekend! Laughing
snow report
Gsyfreerider wrote:
Chris Brookes, I think I'll go although I will have to miss us whupping you in the muratti if I go that weekend! Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing in your dreams !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy