Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Re: 1st time skier looking for advice for UCPA Chamonix 13-20 March

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm new to this whole skiing idea and apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum. My post is twofold:

Firstly, I am looking for some tips/advice as I am a first-time skier. I am travelling alone to UCPA Chamonix from March 13th to 20th. Any general stuff on what to expect in the area, what to bring, what to do/not to do etc.

Secondly, as I'm travelling alone, I'd be interested in meeting up with others travelling to UCPA Chamonix at the same time for skiing together and a pint. I'm 24, Irish and up for a bit of fun !!!

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts.

Thanks
Sonny
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sonny11ie, Welcome to Snowheads

Go somewhere other than chamonix...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sonny11ie, Welcome!

bertie bassett, if he's already booked - bit late to tell him that!

sonny11ie, have you got some lessons booked? If not I suggest you do as that in itself is a good way to meet up with others who are also starting out.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
UCPA is a great institution. Just enjoy it and do not expect everybody to speak Iroish.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ignore Bertie - he is anti Chamonix.
I don't know a lot about UCPA but I think it's probably really social based on what I have seen of the groups on the mountains.
As a first time skier, lessons are vital! Are you booked in with UCPA?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys,

Butterfly: I've already booked and I have lessons included with UCPA

CP1000: I have booked with the UCPA as I heard they were good for solo skiers

Could you give me any practical advice for what to bring, what to do (after skiing), things to avoid? As I said I'm a complete novice and I'd like to get the most out of the trip

Thanks
Sonny
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sonny11ie, you'll have a great time in UCPA, and find loads of people to have a beer or three with. As for what to take - obviously you need suitable clothing. Have a look at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621

For everything else, UCPA takes care of it - and you've made a very good choice going with them for your first trip. The Chamonix Valley as a whole is not ideal for novice skiers and it can be very intimidating when you're surrounded by mountain men dripping with clanking ironmongery who look like they've been hiking up glaciers and leaping off cliffs since they were 6 years old. But if you're booked in for beginner lessons, you'll be with other beginners, the instructors will take you to the right places and you'll have a ball.

As for apres ski - you need warm, comfortable, scruffy sort of clothes and - well - nothing else, really!

Please come back and tell us about it afterwards. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Assuming you have read the post that pam w linked above, I won't reiterate any of that stuff. Two random thoughts:
- small rucksack that sits flat to your back if you want to save money by bringing your own food up the mountain - the self serve restaurants are not that cheap. Needs to be small so you don't have to stress about it getting in the way when you start riding chair lifts!
- plasters and/or finger tape - ski boots can be a bit hit and miss when you are hiring for the first time and maybe not sure what feels right so the odd blister is possible. You could use finger tape to try and avoid blisters (heels, front of shin mainly) and plasters if the worst happens. A packet of plasters in a cham chemist is about a fiver so better to bring out a few with you.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey - let me know how you get on. I'm booked into UCPA for 3rd April in Argentiere for my first ski trip too!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Novices going to Chamonix and Argentiere is like a novice mountain climber going to the Himalaya to learn to climb.
Fortunately you both have booked with UCPA so they will look after you and find appropriate slopes for you.
Next time get a "Good Skiing and Snowboard Guide" and select a resort more tuned to you level.
Stay away from St Anton (some people think the St stands for Sankt but it really stands for Steep), Verbier and Val D'Isere as well.
When you are more experienced you will then enjoy these serious ski resorts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

When you are more experienced you will then enjoy these serious ski resorts.

abominable, that's a bit patronising! As you say, the OP has booked beginner ski lessons, with an "all in" outfit, which is a perfectly sensible option. There are ample easy slopes in the Chamonix valley, though I agree that it wouldn't be in any top 10 of beginner resorts. And I'm sure he'll enjoy the lively atmosphere and glorious scenery in Chamonix, too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
just to add - my son in law did a week with UCPA Chamonix, in the summer, doing ice climbing and a whole load of other mountain activities which were new to him, and he enjoyed it immensely. Clearly a novice wasn't taken to the most challenging pitches - the UCPA instructors aren't stupid and they wouldn't offer beginners lessons if they didn't have suitable terrain.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Several of my friends and family have learned in the valley. Admittedly they didn't know that "ski resorts" (which chamonix is probably not) can be a lot more convenient, esp for learners, but all had a wonderful time enjoying the setting and mountaineering atmosphere.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abominable wrote:
Fortunately you both have booked with UCPA so they will look after you and find appropriate slopes for you.

Of course they will have a good time - they are going skiing.

But I don't think they received the best advice on choice of resorts for beginners. Argentiere is not exactly beginners territory, but UCPA will find somewhere for them in the valley providing the snow is good at the valley floor.

They will probably be inconvienced by travel whereas other resorts would provide a better assurance of snow for beginners and an array of moving carpets and platter lifts on their doorsteps.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abominable wrote:
abominable wrote:

Of course they will have a good time - they are going skiing.

But I don't think they received the best advice on choice of resorts for beginners. Argentiere is not exactly beginners territory, but UCPA will find somewhere for them in the valley providing the snow is good at the valley floor.

They will probably be inconvienced by travel whereas other resorts would provide a better assurance of snow for beginners and an array of moving carpets and platter lifts on their doorsteps.

Hence my post

bertie bassett wrote:
Go somewhere other than chamonix...

Not just cos I don't like chamonix, but because there are other venues that are arguably better for beginners learning for the 1st time.

If you're learning to drive would you take lessons at the Nurburgring. If you're learning to kick a football would you want to be playing at Wembley - if it's the first time you've lifted a tennis racket would you want it to be the centre court @ wimbledon...
snow report
sonny11ie wrote:
I'm 24, Irish and up for a bit of fun !!!

You'll have a great time and just ignore the doom merchants.

Grands Montets is one of the most stunning places in the world to ski and as long as you are up for it and relatively fit you'll inevitably progress quickly. There's also Le Tour 5 minutes up the road if you don't manage to crack the moguls on your first afternoon!

Enjoy.
ski holidays
The skiing will take care off it self so don't worry.Its all downhill in most resorts. Just don't miss some apres ski in the Chambre Neurf.Enjoy
snow report
Quote:

don't manage to crack the moguls on your first afternoon

Very Happy Very Happy If only someone had explained the benchmarks to me earlier in my ski career I would have come to terms with my limitations a lot sooner!
snow conditions
I booked into Argentiere because that was where some of my mates had already booked into (2 of them doing an off-piste course and the other a similar level of skiing to me). I just figured if UCPA offer lessons for beginners there then there must be some suitable terrain. I'm not a total newbie, had one full day lesson at Copper Mountain in Colorado and been to the Snowdome about 4-5 times since. Confident with parallel turning etc, so figure I've got a bit of a head start.

As long as I get to impove my skiing and have a laugh in the process I'll be happy Smile

At £430 for the week including bed, board, lessons and equipment hire, I'm happy to be put out with a bit of travel wink
latest report
lt81, I think you'll have a great time. Le Tour's not far away if the GM is a bit too gnarly.
snow report
pam w, Thanks for your sensible encouragement of these two booked-in skiers. UCPA will have transport, or use the local excellent bus. There are plenty of places for beginners or early skiers. And an evening beer in the Rusticana won't go amiss. I'm just back from a week there and wondering if I can wangle 3 days in April to conclude my boot purchase with Mandy at Sanglard in Cham city.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy