Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

World class resorts suggestion?

Poster: A snowHead
Aspen was the best week of skiing I've ever experienced. Yes it was expensive, very expensive if I consider that it'd be even worse now as it was $2/£ at the time, but I've never come close to feeling like I had my own private skiing playground before or since.

OK it helped we were there about the 15th Dec but the snow was already epic (remember reading at the time they'd had 10ft of snow by that point in the season). Every photo and every video I have of the week has nobody else on the slopes. I've even got a video taken during an early lunch where for several mintues absolutely nobody approaches the main uplift into Aspen Highlands, later that day I ran top to bottom (something like 2000m vertical) and saw 4 people on my descent and that's on piste. Shocked God it was awesome... Very Happy

I've skiied Mamouth, Val D twice, Soll, Kitz, Val T and La Plagne and never come close to anything like it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
uktrailmonster,

I thought one of the important feature of a world class resort is cannot be crowded. The cost and remoteness will drive the mass away.

For a place like Aspen the wife and I have the impression that there are more workers serving the skiers. Free coffee and sun cream to hand out. If I look at the piste map at the base station for a few seconds there will be a worker come to my aid showing how to get where I want. There are very few piste users competing for piste space or chairlifts. I never used it but there is a regular free skiing tour to lead visitors to the full enjoyment of the mountain.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saikee, Just remember 'nothing in life is free' the sunscreen coffee, cookies,hot cider, lip balm, mountain hosts etc are all paid for via the lift pass. The mountain hosts are skiers who gain a free season pass in return for their services on the mountain. Or they did last time we were there. Yes its nice but remember you are paying for it in some way.

Most NA ski resorts couldnt survive on their lift ticket sales, and rely on selling the real estate for the cash. North American ski resorts in general are quiet places this year even more so. In the way they are planned, apart from the first uphill lift queue, lifts and pistes are usually quiet. Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great snow conditions completely changes a ski holiday and you can't argue that Colorado and Utah typically get a lot but IMO the terrain isn't a patch on the decent mountains in Europe eg Chamonix/Verbier/Val d'Isere. The mountains aren't impressive, the verticals aren't as good and there's minimal scope for decent off piste because it's so regulated. We did Highland Bowl after a bit of powder and there were literally hundereds of people walking up the same path in a long snake..... And people say Chamonix's of piste is busy! I've skied Whistler, Alta/Snowbird and Aspen and wouldn't swap any of those for Verbier/Chamonix.

Not sure I agree on Zermatt either. Possibly not a huge number of pistes but they are long and the huge area offers masses of scope for off piste between the pistes as well as all the stuff on the glaciers and down from Rotthorn/Stockhorn. Only problem is that it needs a lot of snow to cover the rocks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
according to this website, here are the 'Best of the Alps' http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/st-anton/informationen/best-of-the-alps-2.html

Oops just realise Seefeld is in that list Embarassed I'm sure it's lovely but not up there with Chamonix, St Anton et al
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boabski, that's a self-selecting group who have set up a marketing campaign to brand themselves "best of the Alps". Not really an unbiased viewpoint, I'd guess.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've only just spotted the chorus of 'Zermatt: not all that good except for the views and lunch' and I'd like to chime in and say

WHAT?!

Mr and Mrs paulio are both in agreement it's the best place we've skied (and we 100% self catered so had no exposure to its dining which is a common cause for celebration...). I thought the variety, length, loneliness and splendour of its pistes is beyond anywhere else I've ever been. Out of everywhere I've been so far, it's the only resort I actively plan to return to. For the skiing, not all that peripheral 'pretty village, great food' nonsense.

You're all a bunch of crazies.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio wrote:
You're all a bunch of crazies.

Hah! You'll be hearing from my lawyer soon...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saikee, spent time in aspen two years ago, and had the benefit of a mountain guide on each of the four hills, in world class terms aspen is definitely up there with the best, but standing on its own, buttermilk has to be the best beginners mountain in the world , my wife had a one and one ski improvement day there with a money back guarantee. and you are right the isolation of aspen compared to the other Colorado resorts adds to its allure.
the next world class resort on my list to be skied is Alyeska Resort Alaska Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee wrote:
uktrailmonster,

I thought one of the important feature of a world class resort is cannot be crowded. The cost and remoteness will drive the mass away.

In my experience, resorts that are loosely labelled "World Class" eg. Whistler, Vail, Courchevel etc are often relatively crowded compared to less famous resorts eg. Red Mountain, Whitewater, Silver Star. It goes without saying that a famous resort will attract people through package deals and extensive marketing. But in general NA resorts, particularly in Canada, are less crowded than equivalent Alpine resorts due to the lower population density. It's a different kind of skiing, different scenery, different lifestyle and yes a different kind of snow!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Neilski, Alyeska! Now there IS a ski resort! I grew up there as a kid so my memories are obviously a bid dated (10 years ago), but it truly feels like wilderness skiing. And people think it's cold when it's -20C? Go ski Alyeska in January...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar,
Quote:

that's a self-selecting group who have set up a marketing campaign to brand themselves "best of the Alps". Not really an unbiased viewpoint, I'd guess

Don't worry it was slightly tongue in cheeck, but did mirror a lot of the resorts mentioned above. I mean Glencoe is not even listed FFS Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think St Anton has the best off-piste anywhere - but I have not been much to USA: only Jackson Hole which I found very disappointing.

OK, Zermatt does have some good off piste but I cannot understand how Kitzbuhel could be mentioned in this company - just nothing even slightly challenging (though a nice village). I'm not keen on Cortina either - some very straggly bits of skiing around a big town.
More and more European resorts are getting rid of their best black runs and making them itineraries or even off-piste. It is off piste where you find most of the challenging skiing and it covers huge areas compared to in the US resorts.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neilski, why do you need a mountain guide in a US resort (or do you mean for the back-country?).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, didnt mean a mountain guide in the "alps" sense of the term, but a instructor ability level skier with a great amount of local knowledge, to help you get the most out of your skiing in an unknown resort.
my guide sue was a real aspen local who lived down by the rio grande, and she was able to find the best stashes of fresh powder , and also to slowly introduce me to the pleasures of bump skiing, by starting off small and not so steep to very big and steep and long by the end of the week. with her guiding i probably skied two or three times the terrian i would have managed by myself. therefore increasing my enjoyment of aspen accordingly
Smile Smile Smile Smile
ski holidays
snowball, I find it odd that you found Jckson Hole disappointing (given some of the other stuff you've posted). I had a coupleof awesome days touring around there...
latest report
under a new name, I'm afraid I'm lazy - I don't like having to do so much walking to get any powder. An occasional half hour or hour is OK, but not every time. Other than Granite Canyon it really was full day tours. And other than the very limited area of side-country, guides aren't allowed in the back-country so you had to do it with a map and use your own avalanche predicting skills - I'm used to skiing with guides in Europe. I was also surprised that there were almost no tracks in Granite and none at all beyond.
I should perhaps mention that the front of the mountain had been scoured by winds or was skied out.
latest report
There's some advantage of coming to this kind of thread late, after 2 pages had be covered. Smile

What one skier consider "best" can be seen as "worst" by another!

A mountain that has only a few piste would obviously be hated by any piste basher, however extensive the off-piste potentials are. Those who enjoy snaking around trees would find any wide open space "boring". Yet others might find the trees get in the way of grand views...

I will get around to post my trip report from Telluride and Jackson Hole later in the week. But I'll warn you. I didn't have a good time in either due to poor snow! Sad Yet given half decent condition, I'll go back for a repeat visit in a heartbeat!!! As such, I think both are "world class" resorts (even by saikee's standard).
snow report
snowball wrote:
I think St Anton has the best off-piste anywhere - but I have not been much to USA: only Jackson Hole which I found very disappointing.

I'm not necessarily disputing your thought (as I haven't been to St Anton), but how would you know if you've only been to JH?? Or are you simply going off size?
ski holidays
These world class resorts just sound as if they'd be full of douchebags who need their hands held and their egos stroked. Laughing
snow conditions
I find saikee's and others comments in this thread very interesting. I've skied 55+ US ski areas over a period of
40+ years and I consider the Aspen group to be my favorite ski vacation destination. Great snow conditions, terrain, scenery (although can't compare in that dept to much of the Alps) and après ski ambiance. Tellingly, however, I've only skied there on two holidays, the last being over 15 years ago. It’s too expensive for a middle class family man such as myself. The Aspen ski areas have maintained a conscious aim for exclusiveness over the years. They are known to be very expensive in all ways, but with great skiing and low crowds. Home ownership there is among the most costly of all US ski towns; for example a half million dollars for a one bedroom condo/apartment. I think I can agree that the infrastructure may be declining a bit; i.e., aging lifts and accommodations. I believe they are losing the profitability wars with Vail, Breckenridge and other ski areas more easily accessible from Denver. Utah and Tahoe also compete strongly for their potential pool of customers. There are many other ski areas in the US that offer very good skiing at far less cost than Aspen and that is where us "regular folks" go to ski. But for the aforementioned interesting qualities I would still unreservedly recommend Aspen to someone crossing the pond to ski America. It's a fascinating place, and not just in the superficial glitzy way, but also for tremendous and varied skiing. To ski the four Aspen ski areas thoroughly would take a month.

A few dubious generalizations: in comparison to the five ski areas I've visited in Austria I would say that on-piste skiing is generally more challenging in the US. Aspen/Ajax, Aspen Highlands and Snowmass have some fine examples of this. However, the definitions of on-piste and off-piste are tricky. In the US many ski areas include almost all acreage in between marked ski trails as on-piste. This includes trees/glades, frozen stream beds, cliffs, liftlines, and of course steep mogul trails. Off-piste constitutes terrain known as "out of bounds" where neither guides, rescue ski patrols, nor the skiing public are ever likely to go due to avalanches, bigger cliffs, or just too expansive to monitor. My sense of the Alps is that on-piste means groomed slopes where the assistance of a guide is not usually required or sought. Off piste in the Alps means "anything goes" and everything is skiable, but for anyone with common sense, only under the supervision of an experienced mountain guide paid to ensure your survival.
snow report
lucky33, would agree on the profitability stakes, but with what aspen county earns in property tax, they could probably keep the resort open if no one actually skied there.
and you are so right re" the artificial glitz" as it is just that , scrape just below the surface and you will find a real town, probably more real than the european superstars, such as zermatt etc.
snow conditions
Quote:

Off piste in the Alps means "anything goes" and everything is skiable, but for anyone with common sense, only under the supervision of an experienced mountain guide paid to ensure your survival.

rolling eyes

You know, it is possible to learn to look after yourself...
latest report
After skiing 130 resorts it's a difficult question to answer as to where is "the best" skiing in the world.

For example, we have had some "world class" snow conditions in Glencoe, with top to bottom (car park) skiing in incredible snow - and some appalling skiing in Utah, when we were rained on in Brighton. Oh, and over the past 25 years, everything in between....

My top 10 - in no particular order as it's almost impossible to rank them - are:-

-Alta
-Zermatt
-3 Valleys
-Espace Killy
-Zermatt
-Jackson Hole
-Aspen
-Whistler
-St Anton
-Yad Moss/Weardale - this season! Epic! Very Happy
snow conditions
From my experience I'd say St Anton, Courchevel and maybe Banff.

From what I've heard you could add Ischgl and Whistler to the list and probably several other US/Canadian resorts. I've skied in many places but nowhere near as many as I'd like!
snow conditions
3V - Variety
Ischgl - apres

End. Of. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Anton's better than Ischgl for apres though - although Ischgl wins on actual nightlife. Anton has the better terrain too.
snow report
The two most upmarket (world class) places I've been to in North America are Aspen and Sun Valley, and they are sure millionaire playgrounds, fine ski areas, and great little Western towns. I assume Deer Valley is up there too, although its kinda an extension of Park City.

In Europe, Lech is my only really upmarket experience, and it's truly epic. No drunken Brits there - the 'riff raff' as someone said to me on a chair lift, 'stay in St Anton' Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gortonator,

None of the Swiss resorts fit the bill?

I found St Moritz pretty hard to beat. Lech is OK but it hasn't got a large lake and own airport. It is not easy to reach and is mostly dominated by the Swiss so a pretty private place to ski (no crowd problem, if there is the Swiss people are well behave).
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:
saikee wrote:

Snow is snow to me

No way! Snow is THE most important factor in a ski resort for me. Second up is ski-in-out access and spacious accommodation. Last on my list are celebrity boutiques and expensive restaurants - although I do like good healthy food served in a casual friendly atmosphere.

Sure snow is snow

I saw the above pic of Bansko a couple of weeks ago before I went there. Now I am not saying Bansko is a world class resort, far from it, but it has it's place. Just thought I would post this pic, exact same location, different day and my ski's showing the depth of snow next to the road.

Just a more balanced view I am sure people have pics of Aspen at the end of the season when their is no snow, they just don't seem to post them !!.

https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/snowheads-personal-galleries/p20005-bansko-lift-station-ma.html

https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/images/overlay-round.gif
ski holidays
I got back from the Three Valleys a couple of weeks ago and all of my group absolutely loved it. I found that the Courchevel 'valley' had the best scenery, Val Thorens the best cruising, and Meribel was generally the steepest valley. I found the reds to be much harder than those in Switzerland (Wengen and Zermatt)… I think this is a typical occurrence in France.

I can see what people are saying about Zermatt – it was my first ski holiday but looking back the pistes may lack variety/challenge, and getting to the slopes takes time. But the scenery is a big part of my holiday and I would go back for the breathtaking views of the Matterhorn alone
snow report
gortonator, We enjoyed Lech a lot. It is very 'civilised'. But a bit on the small side, and a little bit 'ho hum' for a whole week. Plus for the cost of 5 days there (In a good hotel in Oberlech)) , you can stay pretty much anywhere in the 3V for a week, and dine out on Bolly and caviar Laughing
snow conditions
Axsman, If Lech gets too small you just go over to Anton...
ski holidays
clarky999, fair point, but my suggestion (if you want to ski both areas) would be to do it the other way round, stay in Anton and visit Lech. Quite a few skiers we spoke to in Oberlech were doing exactly that.

In the context of the thread I was really saying that Lech is very good, and very exclusive, but a bit small to be 'world class' (on its own). snowHead

Nicely groomed, (and largely empty!) pistes though Very Happy
snow report
Kel wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
saikee wrote:

Snow is snow to me

No way! Snow is THE most important factor in a ski resort for me. Second up is ski-in-out access and spacious accommodation. Last on my list are celebrity boutiques and expensive restaurants - although I do like good healthy food served in a casual friendly atmosphere.

Sure snow is snow

I saw the above pic of Bansko a couple of weeks ago before I went there. Now I am not saying Bansko is a world class resort, far from it, but it has it's place. Just thought I would post this pic, exact same location, different day and my ski's showing the depth of snow next to the road.

Just a more balanced view I am sure people have pics of Aspen at the end of the season when their is no snow, they just don't seem to post them !!.

I was only really pointing out that snow conditions are King. Not really aimed at Bansko, that's just what google threw up first! Although conditions there do seem a bit hit or miss. I just prefer more snowsure resorts with a high probability of some decent powder.
snow report
uktrailmonster,

You know what, so do I. But we were were going away with friends of our's who are newbies and Bansko fit the bill. Why go to a 300km mountain when 65 is more than enough and pay 3 times the price !!. I do feel it get's a lot of bad press some warranted but a lot not.

Think we had a good week by all accounts, fresh powder every day help's detract from the building site of a town. Also their really are some excellent places to eat in the town if you take the time to find them.
snow conditions
gortonator wrote:
In Europe, Lech is my only really upmarket experience, and it's truly epic. No drunken Brits there - the 'riff raff' as someone said to me on a chair lift, 'stay in St Anton' Wink

I've been to Lech and I'm a total scumbag.
ski holidays
but you're a sober scumbag Wink
ski holidays
saikee wrote:
gortonator,

None of the Swiss resorts fit the bill?

I found St Moritz pretty hard to beat. Lech is OK but it hasn't got a large lake and own airport. It is not easy to reach and is mostly dominated by the Swiss so a pretty private place to ski (no crowd problem, if there is the Swiss people are well behave).

probably, I just ain't been ...
latest report
bad_roo wrote:
gortonator wrote:

I've been to Lech and I'm a total scumbag.

me too - we're not banned, just not predominant
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy