Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Security Lock

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Got myself a new board whilst out in andorra and am now concious of it getting nicked whilst im enjoying lunch etc! Anyone recommend a good lock/ security thingey?

Cheers

Nade
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
K2 luna. Nice board.

I think there a few locks to use. Get a basic wire lock with number code for about £15. Will do the job.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Best ask Tea Leaf for advice, perhaps send him a pm Laughing wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Philip Prior, cheers- have to say I love it more than several family members- got a nice ol' tax free deal on it too! Will invest in one of those wire locking things- cheers!

Nade
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nadenoodlee, Nice new board Very Happy

Where are you going next, I'll watch it for you, personally Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tea Leaf, im thinking of just getting a staffs bull terrier, carrying it in my back pack and tying it to the board at lunch.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oooh, an extra bonus then. I'm not sure that you can sell dogs on ebay Confused Never mind, I'm sure I'll find a market for it.

Anyone want to buy a dog and a board?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tea Leaf, How long do you have to marinade it for before it's tender?

You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, I've had a look on google, under "marinade + snowboard" and I just got links to snowboard sites. I guess the answer would have to be "I don't know". You are a snowboarder though, they are pretty tough old things aren't they? I am thinking that in this, you would probably know better than me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nadenoodlee, I agree with Philip Prior, (which is rare). All you need is one of those wire locking things. When we go away Phil and I usually lock our boards together.....any would be thief either gets two boards for the price of none (not sure how they'd get them both down the mountain) or needs to carry wire cutters......I suppose anything is possible. Keep her in sight when having a cheeky beer or two at the end of the day on the way back to your digs
Congrats on the new toy Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nadenoodlee, I've got a Dakine Cool Lock - which does the trick.

It's got a pretty decent length of cable, so you can lock a couple of booard/skis. And, if you're worried about it spoiling the look of your new board while it sits locked-up outside bar, it also comes in a range of colours wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nadenoodlee, I use a soddin' big self coiling bike lock with a 10mm cable through the heel riser and twice round the board, It'd be quicker to hacksaw through the board than the cable. But then I really like my board and I paid serious wedge for it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jonflat2, Excellent point- dont want boring balck when my boards all pretty!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee, I think the Staff BT may be more expensive than your board if it is a pucker one !, they are by far too freindly aswell, I suggest you take a dog lock too Little Angel
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've just got a wire loop lock from S&R - not used it yet. From the ex-Cambridge cyclist point of view it's in chocolate teapot territory - but should provide a small deterrent to the lazy thief or the person who can't recognise their own skis rolling eyes

Anybody have trouble with combination locks in the cold and ice ? I'm wondering about giving it a quick blast with WD40 before we go out, but it's awfully plasticy...
ski holidays
Hoppo, Never had a problem with them in the cold.
latest report
Snowboard locks also handy here in Scotland when the wind tries to blow your board into the North Sea.
snow report
Just chuck all your boards together with a couple of cable locks....all you will do is put off opportunist thieves and scallies. If they really want your board then they will have it - hence the reason you are insured.

I have a Ride Timeless 161, bit of money but I always bury it in the racks attached to a couple of others - best you can do really!

Very Happy
ski holidays
I used my bike cable lock while away, I'm sure anyone could crop it if they wanted it but it's probably not worth their hassle especially for my board.
snow conditions
http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product.asp?ProductID=66

This tends to stop any thieves.
latest report
Scarpa, In my case they would probably steal the lock an leave the board Very Happy

I use a pushbike cable & lock.. seems to have worked so far just watch where you keep it while you're riding i've still got the bruises from landing on mine!! Might start locking the cable to a fence outside the cafe while i'm riding save carrying it around and falling on it again!
ski holidays
its really great thing that you did
latest report
Yep, bicycle cable lock every time. It should have a 6mm thick cable... light but strong.

I have one of the little Dakine wire lock things too and wouldn't trust it to secure anything. The smallest set of pliers would cut the cable in a second.

I also have quite an expensive board so maybe I'm a bit paranoid.
snow conditions
Just avoid riding in France and stick to Switzerland, north and east of the Rostigraben or Austria Happy
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, I don't really think there is much point in locking up a board with a cheap 'ski lock'... admittedly though it will stop people inadvertantly taking the wrong one, which is much more likely with skis, even then people normally try to put them back close to where they found them.
I've been told that most boards and skis are nicked by 'pros', inverted commas as they aren't 'pros' they are just people that have a pair of wirecutters and can shift a board or two. Best bet is to keep an eye out and use a decent bike lock, you can cut the cheap ski lock cable with a cheap pair of pliers - or crush the 'unit' wth a pair of mole grips.
snow report
Of course it does it makes a difference - even a professional thief wishes to do things silently and without drawing attention. Any lock will make other items more attactive - bearing in mind there are so many to choose from. My dad has his skis taken only two weeks ago from a mountain restaurant. Nobody brought them back as we spoke repeatedly with the restaurant. The local instructors say they always mix up their skis to reduce risk.
snow report
Nadenoodlee, I got one of these:

http://www.dakine.com/ski/accessories/locks/cam-lock/

It's replaced my combination lock. I would'nt really trust one of those anymore. A determined thief will still cut the cable on this new lock but the cable is MUCH thicker than my old combination lock. And the lock itself way more secure.
snow conditions
A Leatherman tool will cut the silly little combination cable locks. Don't even think of using one if you love your board. There are plenty of stories around of boards that were locked using them and have been nicked.

Get a decent bicycle cable lock and chuck it in your back pack.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy