Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who else has injured themselves this year??

Poster: A snowHead
Still recovering actually. Took a high speed collision with my son, got knocked out and then proceeded to fly into a tree. Em...3 staples in my head, butterfly bandages for the cuts on my face, bruised ribs and surgery a week later to repair the severed ligament in my thumb. Fast forward almost 3 months...I've been skiing alot since then, just slower and with no poles because of cast, now splint. Thumb is still healing...hair is growing back where the laceration was and I have a "Nike Swoosh" scar on my temple. I was really lucky all in all....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nextascent, and how is your son Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nextascent, I assume that your son is ok.

At the end of this last weeks skiing my list of injuries is one bruised shoulder, one broused elbow, and one bruised knee. All from failing to land jumps.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm judging from some of these reports, there are a few snowHeads who need to either slow down or get some more lessons, probably both Shocked No serious injuries for me in over 30 years of skiing, for that matter very few minor ones either, much of that I put down to excellent instructors when I was young Blush
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm judging from some of these reports, there are a few snowHeads who need to stop taking the piddle out of me!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, Well lucky you , 21 winters and 60+ weeks of skiing for me and my only injury of note is the result of a woman hitting my right shoulder so hard that I was lifted out of both bindings, result broken collarbone 8+ weeks and counting>the only lessons that I can think of being useful for me right now are those that would enable me to read a heads up display in a helmet mounted radar. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CP Sadly no tea dancing for me at the Posta Zirm thisyear. Something to go back for next year! The staples come out today... [/img]
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last month--on a bit of off-piste terrain (I trustingly followed a friend who didn't know the way..)--I had a gentle fall---which did't seem bad at the time. But a couple of hours later, I just happened to look in a mirror--and I had a huge black eye--which got worse each day after--so I looked like a battered wife (without a husband--alas!) Then when I got home, I had excrutiating back-ache for 2 weeks--was it that fall--I wonder?? Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowbunny, don't get me wrong, I have been lucky I've been hit by out of control skiers at high speed twice in the last 10 years in both cases I got away without injury, the first time I was off the edge of a piste behind a cowshed waiting for some friends when a British idiot came hurtling arround the corner of the shed just missing the roof and straight into me, fortunately the ski sticks I was leaning on at the time took the impact, bending quite significantly but preventing him from actualy hitting my body, the last time was a glancing blow from a skier with no control going straight down the fall line of the slope, if our skis had become entangled it could have been very nasty as it was I stayed upright and he proceded to roll to the bottom of the slope about 200M away. So luck does play a part in not being seriously injured, but so does training and experience.

Masque, my comments wern't aimed at you, though your record as publisised by yourself is somewhat excessive snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, I am angry that a resort can believe that it is ok to have skiers arriving/departing at all cardinal points of the compass and at any speed, and to put no speed/direction control in place to manage flow. Still, they can just sit back and watch the Euros roll in from all the accidents. I suggest that the tuition requirement from my incident is for the resort management. 9 weeks today, and collar bone still broken.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and out of the above accidents in this thread,how many were wearing helmets Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Brookes, This one was Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wasn't wearing a helmet; fortunately no head injuries
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two "injuries" from my latest trip...

1. On Tuesday in Vail I didn't put enough suncream on, and managed to burn my face, so that it blistered. The blisters have gone, as has the skin, so I'm not bright red below the goggle line.

2. At Beaver Creek on Friday, I picked up my Heads at the end of the day, and managed to cut the back of my hand with their edges.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Brookes wrote:
and out of the above accidents in this thread,how many were wearing helmets Puzzled

I was... and while my collarbone appears to be fixed, ( back to work tomorrow Sad ), its still very sore and limiting what I can do.. Guess I'll find out for sure this week when I go back to the fracture clinic.. Shocked
ski holidays
toby wright, How many weeks from injury?
snow conditions
Got my collar bone examined by another consultant today (at 10 weeks) It's still well broken Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, that's the only problem with head skis those edges stay really sharp, which is great on ice but not so hot on hands or clothes
ski holidays
snowbunny wrote:
toby wright, How many weeks from injury?

It'll be a day under 7 weeks tomorrow when I go to the clinic...
I'm back at work now, ( yesterday..) booo.. Confused

and able to drive.. yay Smile

Collarbone area still very sore tho, and I have a feeling I'm not going to be doing any lifting or impact type activities for a long while ! I'd like to start running again... but not sure thats a good idea Sad

Not actually sure whether mine is 'fixed' or not yet, but hope to get some xrays or similiar tomorrow and find out for sure...
ski holidays
toby wright, Blimey, you must be superman!. The consultant who examined my collarbone yesterday gave me some extra info. He had a paper published on these injuries so had a particular interest.
1.The length of time for recovery is often determined by the force of the impact.
2.Either the clavicle breaks, or the AC joint gets damaged, rarely both.
3.Mine may take 4 months (boo hoo)...and even then.... Sad

Make sure that you request and get the xray-have a good look and ask lots of q's about rebuilding the muscles and limitations in exercise - and good luck snowHead
snow conditions
snowbunny, nearly 4 years and counting for mine. It's not the healing, it's the ease of subsequent injury and the over estimation of its strength. I made the mistake of assuming that I could recover to 100% from a class 3 AC destruction without taking the rehab to extreme (in relative terms) levels.
Once you’re cleared to resume full mobility and 100% joint loading talk to John Wells about developing a good weight bearing strength programme for your shoulder(s), add a flexibility class (Pilates etc.) to ensure full range of movement and recovery from the strength exercises and you’ll really appreciate it when you get older.
ski holidays
snowbunny wrote:
toby wright, Blimey, you must be superman!. The consultant who examined my collarbone yesterday gave me some extra info. He had a paper published on these injuries so had a particular interest.
1.The length of time for recovery is often determined by the force of the impact.

Make sure that you request and get the xray-have a good look and ask lots of q's about rebuilding the muscles and limitations in exercise - and good luck snowHead

Well, mine was pretty slow speed, turning just before the lifts at Motteret, and didnt spot a heap of snow... straight over onto the harder packed stuff and my shoulder took the full impact.. but...
heck, maybe I am over estimating it Puzzled

I've been getting a bit paranoid about it over the last few days as it seemed much better until I overdid it, vacuuming of all things wink and had to take some painkillers again... Seems ok today tho..

But I am a bit worried about redamaging it again as my other sport, ( gliding ), involves lifting a fair bit of weight to put the wings on !!

see tomorrow I guess, and like you say, insist on the xray and lots of questions about lifting an when I can exercise properly again..

thanks for the kind wishes Very Happy
ski holidays
Only injuries this year were two mega bruises, one just below my bum resulting from a bale out when facing a huge rock and wanting to protect my skis (although I'm not quite sure why I was worried, they were shagged by then anyway) and the second just above my hip bone when a tumble in soft snow resulted in landing on a submerged mini-Matterhorn rolling eyes . Both went wonderful colours of the rainbow and took about 2-3 weeks to clear.

Also just noticed that my slightly frozen shoulder resulting from a fall while glissading while carrying skis last year has just resolved itself after last week - clearly by the magic of the Haute Route!

So this year has actually resulted in a net reduction in injuries snowHead !
snow report
Masque, What do you mean "get" older Cool
ski holidays
Masque, I think I had a bit of a setback when my GP sent me for physio 4 weeks ago Shocked
I am used to having good upper body strength , I enjoy bouldering, indoor walls etc If you had a Class 3 AC injury you would be expected to make a full recovery, 4 years is too long, Prolotherapy been offered?
My injury is straightforward, a simple clean fracture, no complications, and apparently no ligament damage. It is simply taking forever to heal-10+ weeks of indulgence, no housework/cooking/gardening/driving. I asked the consultant "What do I have to do to get this healed" - his response was, that there is nothing for me to do except wait. I am not by nature a patient patient ! Who is John Wells please?
snow conditions
snowbunny, "bunny" does imply a sense of youth . . . I'm assuming you're not going to edit your profile to 'snowmutton' ?

John Wells is a snowhead who can assist your rehab, do a member search and PM him for guidance on strength training.

As 4 me, it's just a matter of repeated re-injury through 'pushing the envelope' and too little r&r . . . my fault but it's been addressed and is getting better. I'm finding that I can't use the recovery rates I used in my youth as a yardstick today . . . as much as I'd like to. But I am looking to how periods of enforced inactivity affect recovery rates, body image and progressive reductions in accepted fitness. Aging and injury should not (but do) have influence on our self image and how we approach future activities.
There’s a lot of truth in the expression ‘live each day as if it were your last’.
snow report
But I am looking to how periods of enforced inactivity affect recovery rates, body image and progressive reductions in accepted fitness. Aging and injury should not (but do) have influence on our self image and how we approach future activities.
There’s a lot of truth in the expression ‘live each day as if it were your last’.[/quote]

I am finding that there is subtle pressure being put on me to "act my age" and "you can't expect to be doing that at your....."

I am lucky to have access to a Dr. who has a "use it or lose it" mindset and encourages me -with the exception of bungee jumping which he says is a nono for my spine.

I know that it will take me the remainder of this year to rebuild all the muscle lost through waiting for my collarbone, plus dietary control to get rid of the layer of fat that has arrived. rolling eyes

I will PM John Wells - Thanks for the tip. And "snowmutton" I don't think so, my current name is an expression of my outlook Laughing
latest report
I fractured 2 vertebrae on Jan 29. Season over. They have healed very well so I'm ready for more action.

Landed a jump badly. Not impressed I tell you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ouch Sad
snow report
snowbunny wrote:

Well, the visit to the hosptial went well, I think.... rolling eyes

The doctors there wouldnt let me have an x-ray, or give me any new painkillers... but..

after much feeling the bone and making me wave my arm in every direction and to every extremity, they declared my collarbone mended, with the proviso that it will still hurt for the next 8 weeks, and to avoid any heavy lifting with that arm...

Other than that I'm signed off to start running/swimming/flying/driving again, and just have to be careful thats all.. Smile

No 'proper' physio, as apparently my swimming should be enough Smile

So back to work for me I'm afraid Sad

hope your collarbone improves soon Snowbunny.. Smile
latest report
toby wright, Congratulations-you are superman then, doooo be careful, perhaps no glider assembly for the next 8 weeks! wink
ski holidays
thanks Smile

you're right, persuade someone else to put my wings on for a bit I think !!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy