Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Valleys Google Earth Piste Map

Poster: A snowHead
I've been working on this piste map of Courchevel, Meribel, Les Menuires, Val Thorens on google earth: 3 Valleys Piste Map v1.0.kmz

This is built on what Skittler (Google Earth Community Forum user) started a few years back. I wanted the complete version in advance of my visit to La Tania in March. I'm reasonably confident in the placement of all lifts and runs, based on the most recent piste maps, however expect there to be errors - I've never skied Three Valleys before, so I'm sure natives or frequenters will know the exact routes of pistes in areas where I've had to guess.

Please post corrections, off piste itineraries, restaurants, anything else that will build this into an even more useful resource.

I've also mapped the route of the Three Valleys Escapade - covering about 126km in 7-8hrs: 3 Valleys Escapade.kmz (I've had to guess the route of the Lac du Lou off-piste itinerary section, so if anyone knows this route and can correct it that would be appreciated). Hoping to give this escapade go when we're there. More info at: http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2006/Escapade/Escapade.htm

Also posted on the Google Earth forums here
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
great. Thanks Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's a thing of beauty. Will message you with couple of restaurant recommendations. Any way to toggle names of lift and pistes, or am I being a klutz?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Piste_Maps#French_Alps (click the 'OPM' links Smile )
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
.Ro wrote:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Piste_Maps#French_Alps (click the 'OPM' links Smile )

Yes, but I can never work out how to get proper satellite overlays and terrain maps like you can in Google earth! These look absolutely stunning in Google earth when viewed at a low angle. You really get an idea of the terrain and difficulty of each part of the piste. I spent about three hours familiarising myself with it last night.

You can also set the sunshine at a set time and date, ans see what piste will be in the shade Etc.

Great stuff

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 28-02-10 10:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John, clicking on each lift or run tells you its name in a little pop up, but I'm not sure if its possible to have the names to show on them all at the same time like road names do on roads.

.Ro, thanks for the link to openpistemap. I hadn't come across that before. If there was a way to export the maps from there to a kmz file it could have saved me a bit of time, but like ringingmaster said, the experience of google earth is superior, especially the ability to fly around the valleys, create tours etc.

ringingmaster, great idea to check which pistes will be in sunshine (assuming clear skies) at what time of day. I'll use that to figure out what runs are best to do at the beginning and end of the day!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have been amusing myself by using fishslice's, chuffnuts site to process the output from my Holux logger. There seems to be some strange variation in the speeds it records when it goes in cahoots with Google Earth.

On the Holux, my max speed of the wekk was recorded as 79kph ( possible - just) whereas according to Google Earth using the same files I was achieving close to 300kph (I did not leave it on in the aeroplane).

Amusing little device...

snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I do some maths on the instantaneous acceleration between EVERY point to work out whats feasible and whats not, so I can ignore the stupid speeds generally caused by bad GPS locks. GE just uses the raw data without processing it.

Si
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
By the way, Davehas, totally excellent work Happy I believe it would be classed as "Super Siq" in modern ski parlance Smile

How did you create it ? I must admin, when I first saw it I assumed you'd figured out how to export from OpenPisteMap to GE ! (as I've been trying to figure out how to do that for years ! Smile ).

We're going to the 3V for the first time in April, so awesome timing Smile

Si
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
How did you create it ?

S l o w l y . . . one run at a time! I started with Courchevel about 3 months ago and nearly gave up when GE crashed after I'd been plotting runs for about 5 hours and I lost the lot Shocked But I picked it up again a couple of weeks later and saved the kmz every few runs Madeye-Smiley Now I've almost got the whole 3V memorised snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davehas, You must have some patience. I have skiied the 3V four times and all I can say is that it is the best area I have ever skiied.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whoa! I'd totally forgotten that I'd ever started this!
Thanks for moving it along...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
.Ro, thanks for the link very useful !!

I have been playing with ski tracks and I would like to be able to overlay a .kmz track recorded in Ski Tracks onto a topo map. Would this be possible to do with open street map ? or if not does anyone have any ideas?

thiswould be extremely useful to transpose off piste itineraries with a guide onto a hard copy map
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, I do this with my SuuntoGPS watch - map the tracks onto the 3 Vallees topo map
snow report
Very interesting thread and maybe someone on here could answer a question that the 3v ticket office couldnt.
I wanted to know how far we had actually skied and how far we had travelled on lifts, unfortunately the ski office either did not have this data or it got lost in translation!!!
I know you will not be able to tell me this but if you did the escapade route in a logical order can anyone provide stats for ski and lift travel distance?
Having skiied the 3v last week of jan for the first time i take my hat off to all who can do the escapade in 1 day. biggest problem i had though was having to get my map out after every lift and run to check i was heading in the right direction and probably did this very comfortably in 2.5 days with map reading included.
thakns
ski holidays
Patch, how do you overlay the track onto a topo map? i must be missing something as whenever i turn on the topo feature on google maps or earth the tracks wont show.
snow report
pauljames, I carry a GPS with me to records the tracks each day. Someone I was skiing with asked me the exact same question so I sat down and worked it out based on a week's skiing. It came out at 30% lifts, 70% runs. Obviously that figure depends on the resort and whether you ski in straight lines or not but as a rule of thumb, it's not bad.
ski holidays
skimottaret, Using the Suunto-provided software, scan in the topo map, then calibrate, then overlay the track
snow conditions
davehas, Great stuff...

Must have missed this last year when originally posted... So thanks for the bump Skittler, I love playing around with GPS tracks on GE and 3V is my 2nd favourite place...

Smile
ski holidays
Oooh, do tell.
I've always thought 3V just beats both VD/Tignes and LP/LesArcs but then I haven't made it to Whistler yet... Smile
ski holidays
That didn't take long to guess ...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy