Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Men's Slalom

Poster: A snowHead
Peter Ross wrote:
rjs, what would 80 points be in terms of world ranking?

It would be 2755th. See here.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BTW; Andy Noble and David Ryding...fantastic results from such difficult start numbers, 2 team GBR in top 30, will enjoy winding up the Schladmingers up when I take Lawrence back to school next week!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dwarf Vader, only cos I ve gotta get up at 5am for a Austrian Landescup Super G tomorrow, see, I can be professional when the chips are down!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fattes13, I hear you, I was reading his blog and he seemed to put in a big effort, I just feel what's the point when you are never close to being competitive especially when it's not a cheap sport and you probably haven't much financial support? I would pose the same question about the British skiers, hardly going to inspire youngsters to become ski racers, no wonder I had Kippure (Dublin's highest point, although it's summit is shared with Wicklow snowHead ) to myself today.

rjs, 2755th, although does your ranking improve the more races you do?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 28-02-10 0:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Ross, I would say the big point of it is he has competed in the winter Olympics, must be worth a beer in the pub.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dwarf Vader, I don't think that would be Roy Keane's or Paul O'Connell's attitude!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DAB, Good luck tomorrow Smile

Peter Ross, you have a poor view of life if you think it's all about results and not the experience of living. Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Ross, World cup winner starts at 0 and it goes down from there. 80 Points is not even enough to get you your Eurotest!!!

Most of the top guys will be on less than 20 points and there are Austrian Juniors that have less than 15 points.

It was an amazing achivement on Shanes part
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dwarf Vader, No life is only about results, ask Martin Johnston his view on that after today's game snowHead Although I suppose in most sports most people/teams don't have any chance of winning, like really only the top 4 can win the Premiership and how many of the 32 in the World Cup this year have any chance?

Fattes13, Is the Eurotest the ESF speed test for instructors?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another mens ski event with no Austrian in the top 3 (Hurray)
After their despicable "protest" about Simon Amman's boots in the Ski Jumping, I am delighted.
Cheats always get their justified cumuppance
There is a god after all/// Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Ross, THe point is being the best he can be at a sport he loves. I think if you have a good like at the boy Roys attitude it is about being your best and giving your best at all times and that is what Shane is doing.

Even if life is only about Results on that basis Shane finishe above Bode Miller, Ted Liggity and some serioulsy high quality racers I would call that a Result.

Quote:

hardly going to inspire youngsters to become ski racers, no wonder I had Kippure (Dublin's highest point, although it's summit is shared with Wicklow ) to myself today.

Come up to the ski club any wed night or Sunday morning and look at the affect Shane has had on the kids , he is an absolute hero to most of them and has raised the bar so high that some of our teenagers are all ready catching him and he has put in a training programme that has Irish kids finishing in the top 20 at Junior European events.

The reason you had Kipure to yourself is Effort V Reward. Very Happy

Eurotest is The Euro Speed Test is an integral part of the training of Ski Instructors in France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Austria and the UK. The test is part of the International Ski Teacher Diploma, The test is run to strict rules on an international basis and validated by the State in which the test is held.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fattes13 wrote:
Peter Ross, THe point is that he can be the best that he can be at a sport he loves. I think if you have a good look at the boy Roys attitude it is about being your best and giving your all at all times and that is what Shane is doing.

Even if life is only about Results on that basis Shane finishe above Bode Miller, Ted Liggity and some serioulsy high quality racers I would call that a Result.

Quote:

hardly going to inspire youngsters to become ski racers, no wonder I had Kippure (Dublin's highest point, although it's summit is shared with Wicklow ) to myself today.

Come up to the ski club any wed night or Sunday morning and look at the affect Shane has had on the kids , he is an absolute hero to most of them and has raised the bar so high that some of our teenagers are all ready catching him and he has put in a training programme that has Irish kids finishing in the top 20 at Junior European events.

Eurotest is The Euro Speed Test is an integral part of the training of Ski Instructors in France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Austria and the UK. The test is part of the International Ski Teacher Diploma, The test is run to strict rules on an international basis and validated by the State in which the test is held.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BOA NEWS ALERT wrote:
Ryding and Noble Secure Top-30 Slalom Finishes

Team GB’s Dave Ryding and Andy Noble both ended their first Olympic Winter Games on a high note by climbing up the rankings to secure top-30 finishes in the slalom.

Lancashire’s Ryding ended his campaign by climbing from 33rd to 27th on his second run, while Noble, from Edinburgh, rose from 32nd to 29th.

Ryding, who had finished 47th in the giant slalom in his first Vancouver 2010 competition earlier in the week, said: "I gave it everything today, I couldn't have asked for any more from myself.

"I thought I skied some great sections here, but I haven't really had any clean runs,” he added. “The important thing is to learn from my experience here.

“Slalom is so competitive at the moment that you have to risk everything.

"This has been an experience for me. Hopefully in four years time I can get rid of the mistakes and I can let it rip,” he said.

Ryding recorded a time of 51.58 in his opening run and followed that up with 53.55 on his second to finish 5.81 seconds behind the winning time of Italy’s’ Giuliani Razzoli, who took gold.

Noble (pictured) said he was pleased with his 29th place. "I'm definitely happy with that. I've really enjoyed my time at the Games. Apart from the bottom two-thirds of the last run I've been pretty relaxed.

“I thought I started quite well on that last run, but then I made a mistake and I locked up a bit and got nervous.

"Skiing is a very tough sport. It's very competitive and coming from a non-Alpine nation makes it harder. It's a sport that takes a long time to master."

Noble was Team GB’s highest placed finisher in the giant slalom on Tuesday in 36th. His time of 51.55 for his first slalom run today put him 32nd and he followed that up with 54.58 to end his campaign in 29th. He finished 6.81 seconds off the gold medallist.

Top 30 finishes Well done guys Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fattes13 wrote:
Peter Ross, THe point is being the best he can be at a sport he loves. I think if you have a good like at the boy Roys attitude it is about being your best and giving your best at all times and that is what Shane is doing.

Quote:

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dwarf Vader, Thanks........ wink
latest report
Fattes13 wrote:
80 Points is not even enough to get you your Eurotest!!!

I'm fairly sure that 80 points gets you excemption from needing to do the Eurotest.
snow report
rjs wrote:
Fattes13 wrote:
80 Points is not even enough to get you your Eurotest!!!

I'm fairly sure that 80 points gets you excemption from needing to do the Eurotest.

I think that's right. Isn't the Eurotest broadly equivalent to 140ish points (which is also the Olympic qualifying standard IIRC)?
latest report
Congrats to Dave Ryding and Andy Noble. Dave's had a tough season this year in the WC, mostly DNFing, so it must be great to get a result in a big games like this. Looking at the finish order, he got beaten by two with higher start numbers and beat one with a lower start number, so his finish position probably matches his ranking (but of course he did finish, and a lot of those above him didn't), but Noble took a huge number of scalps - excellent. I only saw the first run (and unfortunately French TV stopped transmission after Horoshilov - 3 before Dave), but the course did look a lot straighter (and much faster cadence with a lot of combinations) than the WC courses I've seen this year - so that probably suited Dave's plastic pedigree Wink - really exciting.
snow report
Well done Fattes13- put that twit Peter Ross in his place- I note theres no reply to your last post. I see by a little research that he boasts about a bronze medal in the Irish Snow Championships in skiercross- a little more research showed me a video of the standard-laughable- at slaolom and G.S. level only.This eejit took part in what seems to be the annual U.C.D. / Trinity booze up in Les deux Alpes. I wonder if he fancies putting his money where his mouth is on a little challenge against some real racers- maybe a certain person who has a chance of becoming a real ski-cross challenger !!!- or maybe some of the kids could reveal him for the fool he seems to be.
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
briand6868, That's a bit hard - he's a really nice guy!

I think the British two, the irish guy and Kwame did brilliantly. At the end of the day it's not the position of the finishers - you also have to think about the dnf's and there were loads! Helluva race - brilliant - that's one for my CD collection for sure. Very Happy
ski holidays
rjs, I am up for correction here but I think it is 70 points to get the eurotest excemption? I know it is definatley lower than 100
snow report
briand6868, no need to get personal, especially as u hide behind your username, remember I'm not kevin myers. I also know fattes and the great work he has done bringing freestyle to Ireland and am certainly not attacking his enthusiasm for shane's result. It's great to hear shane is inspiring kids in kiltiernan and I have no doubt he is 100 times a better skier than me. I also know the effort and commitment required to compete at the highest level in any sport, the costs out of your own pocket the injuries and often the little thanks or recognition u get. However the sports council of Ireland will only fund u based on performance not effort or dedication, isn't that why skeleton got money in the uk. From the sounds of it he overperformed which is great. Maybe my comments are harsh but I know in other sports success is required to getting people excited, rugby in Ireland is a good example of that and there weren't too many nice comments after our loss in Paris recently.

Easiski thanks, good d
snow report
briand6868, Is probably a little hot under the collar as his kids are on our race squad and watching all the kids this morning talking about the race last night and looking at the excitment fo what they saw was really cool

Peter Ross, Wouldnt take it to personally I think Shane is part of the elite Athlete programme in Ireland and funding is not always allocated on success. If it was very few Irish Athletes would get any cash
snow report
Fattes13, IIRC through BASI it's 80 points. Can't find the supporting reference for that right now tho. Assuming the F-values haven't been changed the Eurotest is 0 FIS points plus 18% for men, which is 0.18 * 880 (F-value for GS) = 158.
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob, Cheers I am getting to the stage where I will have to start paying more attention to it as I have to get it ticked off the list soon Shocked Cant believe I have gotten this far Very Happy

Will go do some digging myself tonight and try and get an answer
ski holidays
Fattes13, Thanks, I thought it was Shane's dad, and he was going to come around my house and beat me up especially as he had been 'researching me' Shocked

Again it's great to see how Shane's efforts have created excitment in the SCI. But maybe to lay people the results of UK or Irish skiers wouldn't get them animated. I feel in general only a small number of snowheads have an interest in competitive skiing anyway, that's why there were 162 replies to the bizarre thread 'Why have helmets made people so arrogant?' but no thread on the premier downhill of the year in Kitzbuhel.

To really heighten the profile of race skiing here, what would it take to get Bode Miller over for a weekend, now that would be awesome! If Bode is tied up maybe Lindsey Vonn wouldn't be a bad sub snowHead
latest report
Peter Ross wrote:
but no thread on the premier downhill of the year in Kitzbuhel.

Keep it to yourselves Wink but now I got the format etc I'm planning on doing the same for all world cup races left unless I get busy in the mean time. Smile
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, you are too good to us! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just checked, Bode's fee through his agent is $20,000 to $30,000, I think I'll need to approach him directly as that might be a little too much! As Bode was brought up on the East Coast of the states he must have some Irsh roots so he might like to visit anyway, I'm sure I could get him as much free Guinness as he liked!

Dwarf Vader, what's left, Garmisch and Are?
latest report
Dwarf Vader, excellent!

Peter Ross, there was a lot of interest and excitement when Chemmy Alcott attended a snowHeads event last June, including those people who don't normally contribute to the discussions of WC racing.
snow report
Dwarf Vader, Awsome and thank you for all your hard efforts over the course of the olympics it has been great and very infomrative.

I think the race thing is very subjective from one skier to the next Personally I love watching it but would have more intrest in big mountain skiers lilke the Free ride world tour

Peter Ross, What are you looking at Bode for? Vonn was a much better Idea, one of the families in the Ski club are apparently really good friend with Bennie Raich and his family maybe we should start there. Allot of people dont get to see the WC races as the limited air time they get outside of the alpine nations which may explain the lack of feedback on it and well helmet thread people just love them Very Happy Very Happy

rob@rar, Think you are right there racing is aspirational and shows people what is possible and creates a buzz even if people not really that intrested from one end od the year to the other.
ski holidays
Fattes13 wrote:
rob@rar, Think you are right there racing is aspirational and shows people what is possible and creates a buzz even if people not really that intrested from one end od the year to the other.

Yes, that's the impression that I got from a a lot of people at that event when Chemmy (and Ed Drake) were there. Not enough interest to want to discuss racing on a forum, and maybe not even watch many races during the winter, but respect and admire the ability, courage and dedication that is necessary to compete at the highest level.
latest report
Peter Ross,Crans Montana,Kvitfjell & Garmisch Partenkirchen
However I should have checked the dates before I said anything as I'm off skiing the Garmish week. Smile
latest report
Fattes13, Benni Raich, he'd do for starters, and then when Bode hears Benni came over himself and Lindsey would be over in a flash! Maybe we could have a dual slalom between Benni and Bode on real snow on Kippure, I have been like a weasel worker up there the last few weekends so I think the piste is in super condition!

But it definitely would be great to have a big name like that in Ireland, just like how you got the top names in UK freestyle over for the Salomon camp.
snow conditions
I asked this question in another thread but there seems to be more people in the know in this thread so I'll re post it here. sorry

Because the number of injuries get larger the faster they go and if injured badly during the downhill you cannot compete in any other event. Why do they run it with the downhill first?
It would make sense to start with the slalom (less chance of a serious injury) and step it up through the other event to the downhill last.
So that if you fall in the downhill your not going to miss any other event.
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, I'm not in the know, but did I read for the Olympics they had the downhill on weekend one so in case of postponement there was two full weeks to find a new date.

Of course as you know in the WC somethinh like Super G is normally on Friday, downhill Saturday and slalom Sunday. I think this is because the downhill is the big attraction for spectators and Saturday is the best day to attract spectators and having the Super G before the downhill gives the skiers a feel for the course before the main event.
snow report
Dwarf Vader wrote:
Why do they run it with the downhill first?

Because in reality, they cancel or postpone one or less GS/SL races in whole season. On the other side, there might be one or two DH races in season, that go on as planned. Everything else is postponed, delayed or even canceled. With starting DH on first day of Olympics, they had 3 weeks time to make it through. Imagine, they would have schedule it for last day of Olympics, and weather would not be cooperative. This would mean, there would be no DH race on Olympics. And such scenario is very likely.
snow conditions
Peter Ross, Hi Peter, as Fattes says I was more than a little hot under the collar but have calmed down since,when I first read your post I took you for just another put down merchant but obviously your not.Having been involved in professional sport in the early noughties and seeing the way so many people and most polotitions (sport and other) jump on the bandwagon of success instead of putting finance and support behind potential it really p**sed me off so when I think its on again it awakens the old demons.I saw so many kids fall by the wayside that had far more talent than kids from other countries where they at least put something into the next generation.
Cheers,
BIG BAD BRIAN !!!
ski holidays
No worries!!! My whole family have long a varied sporting background so no johnny come lately bandwagoner and being from Longford I know what it's like to battle on without much recognition!

Ps don't knock the irish champs, the organisation, effort and funding they got last year was top notch and although there was some drink consumed over the week no more than a bode pre race measure really!
ski holidays
For those wanting the inside track you can read Shane's blog here http://shaneskiracing.wordpress.com/2010/02/

It is interesting to read how nervous he was in the build up and The Irish Times reported he said he was 'shaking like a leaf' before the start of the first run. The Canadians attribute their success in part to the mental preparation they had before the games to deal with the stress in the run up and during their performances, it obviously paid off as they took a record gold medal haul of 14 gold medals. If you're interested you can read more here http://www.lifeandbalance.ie/news/Neuro-Infiniti%20Technology%20helps%20Canada%20to%20Record%20Olympic%20Gold%20Haul
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy