Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chemmy Alcott says money worries may force her to quit

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Britain's top skier Chemmy Alcott says financial pressures have left her unsure about her future in the sport.

Alcott, who had two top-15 finishes at the Vancouver Games after racing in five events, has been badly affected by Snowsport GB's pre-Olympics collapse.

British skiing's governing body went into administration, leaving Alcott and her team-mates in financial difficulty.

"I feel I'm fighting against everything - it's hard to keep throwing myself into these difficult races," she said.

"I'm out of my money, my sponsors Witan have been so amazing to me over the last nine years but it's a really expensive sport.

"I just don't know where I am going from here.

"I know that I have a lot more to offer to the sport, I know that I can be the best and I still have that belief, it is just finding companies out there that have that belief too."

The British Olympic Association (BOA) intervened to ensure that athletes affected by their governing body's collapse could make it to the Games but that funding runs only until the end of the Winter Olympics.

"I think no athlete would choose to deal with that situation once they are racing and in the biggest race of their career but I don't know what is happening from here," said a tearful Alcott after skiing out on her first slalom run.

"I've got one car... I can't afford to have my physio travel with me and I could be the first Brit to reach the (World Cup) finals of the super-G ever.

The 27-year-old, who came close to qualifying for the World Cup, was also critical of the British media's treatment of her performances at the Games.

Alcott finished 11th in super combined, equalling her best Olympic finish, and 13th in downhill but struggled in other disciplines.

"I'm getting a pretty hard time at home and I think that is a very unfair situation," said Alcott.

"I guess (it is) statistic-wise because I got the same results as I did four years ago but in the last four years skiing has got hugely competitive.

"I've been through a really tough journey with my foot surgery and losing my mum and then breaking my ankle last year and losing my funding."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/alpine_skiing/8540146.stm

Such a shame to be under these pressures when you should be concentrating of the biggest Races of your life. Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes and she is getting flak for not doing better.

Who are the people that say these things???? Muppets that have never been on a slope.

It is a bit like the Eddie the Eagle furore. He was slagged for only doing about 70-80m. Howe many of them have seen a ski jump.

I remember the first time I went to the big hill in Holmencolm in Oslo. Looked up and said to my wife, how could anyone slag off eddie the eagle "that is Bloody Scarry" snowHead

Back to Chemmy.... on the news just now...... I go down a hill at only 1/2 to 1/3 the speed she does so how am I in a position to event think of slagging her? So she was only 11th in the world, so that means there are only 10 people better than her out of how many people that ski?

I believe that she lost about £20,000 that was owed to her, I can see how she is contemplating quiting. She is struggling to get her physio there, yet the USA can employ a guy to stand behind their racers and say "go on Bode".

Rant over. Back to Hoovering

Sad Sad Sad Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree entirely. Who are these uninformed people who demand results with so little financial input? The fact that Chemmy achieved two top 15 finishes in the Olympics is something she and we should be proud of. She achieved more than many racers without her funding worries.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can I get political? I blame Brown and the Labour party.
It has always been seen to be elitist by them to play a sport other than football (Top players £80,000/week so that's not elitist Shocked ) or Darts Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Erm Dwarf Vader, I'm not a Labour supporter, but Gordon Brown is the Son of a COS Minister and lost his sight in one eye playing Rugby.

ATB
Bob
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
glasgowcyclops, COS?
Ok it was a generalisation but I feel it is correct.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Come on chaps, if Chemmy's feeling the pinch can't you organise something? I remember reading on these boards once before that there would be some sort of "Win a Chemmy" raffle if everyone put in a tenner. I'm sure we could find 365 B&B arrangements for her on an annual basis and plenty a man to "wax her bases"... NehNeh

(Sorry Chemmy Embarassed )
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dwarf Vader, Church of Scotland, but not sure of it's relevance to Shemmy's difficulties.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shake that moneymaker
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

COS

Now there is a potential sponsorship option Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree that Chemmy has done very well - better than we can reasonably expect a Brit to do. I would say, though, that she has finished about the same in the Olympics that she does in the WC when there are considerably more highly ranked racers. That was the disappointment BUT I have no doubt that all the off snow pressure had a lot to do with it.

this is like back to the bad old days of our guys driving themselves from one race to the next in a minivan and waxing their own skis every night. Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So sad - she is incredibly plucky, but it sounds as though all the setbacks of the last year or two have really got to her. It wouldn't be surprising if her performance had been affected. Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If anyone is in London and available next Thursday, this is a way to help her and the other GB skiers: www.gbsos.co.uk
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
greg66 wrote:
If anyone is in London and available next Thursday, this is a way to help her and the other GB skiers: www.gbsos.co.uk

Good Stuff. You need to post it in the piste or Apre's sections of the website to gain the most coverage.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Apre's

Oh good grief. Shocked
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Apre's

Oh good grief. Shocked

?
latest report
Dwarf Vader, a grocer's apostrophe.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 27-02-10 20:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Hur ? not following the gramma nazi's Wink
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing
latest report
Who's Grandma was a Nazi? Confused
snow report
glasgowcyclops wrote:

Back to Chemmy.... on the news just now...... I go down a hill at only 1/2 to 1/3 the speed she does

Do you? you must be a pretty quick skier then.
ski holidays
Well it felt like that last time I fell Happy
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
I agree that Chemmy has done very well - better than we can reasonably expect a Brit to do. I would say, though, that she has finished about the same in the Olympics that she does in the WC when there are considerably more highly ranked racers. That was the disappointment BUT I have no doubt that all the off snow pressure had a lot to do with it.

Apart from in Slalom she was starting where she would in a WC, I don't think she should expect to finish higher than normal in the Olympics as all her usual competitors are there too.
ski holidays
rjs, nations are limited to 4 competitors in the Olympics though.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, I know, it only makes a difference though if all of them and more from each "big" ski nation would normally be in front of Chemmy.

I'm suggesting that it is a good sign that she got similar results to a WC, only somebody slower would expect better results at the Olympics than in the rest of the season.
snow report
easiski wrote:

this is like back to the bad old days of our guys driving themselves from one race to the next in a minivan and waxing their own skis every night. Sad

Basically, I don't think we as a nation are up for competitive winter sports, for all sorts of reasons. I am totally unconvinced that chucking large sums of money would get the likes of Chemmy into the top 5 or so in the results table consistently - and even if it could, I think there are better things to spend public money (even lottery funds) on right now.
snow report
achilles wrote:
Basically, I don't think we as a nation are up for competitive winter sports, for all sorts of reasons. I am totally unconvinced that chucking large sums of money would get the likes of Chemmy into the top 5 or so in the results table consistently - and even if it could, I think there are better things to spend public money (even lottery funds) on right now.

Chemmy represents us on a world level. People may complain that she isnt making it into the top 10 of 5, she is still making it into the top 15! In my eyes someone who represents their country at that level and who attracts millions of viewers to the sport should not have to rely on their family, friends and loyal sponsors to fund them. If your representing your country, your country should be backing you 100% and its disappointing that the government (in particular) is not.
snow conditions
skidog wrote:
achilles wrote:

Chemmy represents us on a world level. People may complain that she isnt making it into the top 10 of 5, she is still making it into the top 15! In my eyes someone who represents their country at that level and who attracts millions of viewers to the sport should not have to rely on their family, friends and loyal sponsors to fund them. If your representing your country, your country should be backing you 100% and its disappointing that the government (in particular) is not.

Sounds about right. Smile

I really don't see the "if we are not going to win, why bother?" attitude, surely it's the experience of the one/few that leads to other people trying and you never know. But that will never happen unless we support the one's that do now.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone else up for putting in a modest amount of money, perhaps to help with transport for the rest of the season so that Chemmy can get to the World Championships? If there were 200 of us chipping in a £20 each that might help with leasing a van to transport her and her kit around until he end of the winter (by which time it would be nice if whatever is going to succeed Snowsport GB is in place and the immediate financial pressure on the racers subsides a bit). I'm happy to coordinate this if people think it's a worthwhile thing to do.

This is the message that Chemmy posted on Facebook:
Quote:
On my way to becoming first British athlete to EVER make World Cup finals but am having to fund everything myself. Cutting back on things i desperately need like physio. Another big expense is vehicles does anyone have a van that we could borrow or lease just until beginning of april?? i would be hugely greatful x
snow report
achilles wrote:
easiski wrote:

Representing GB at cycling was pretty much how easiski described as the bad old days until about 10 years ago. We had a top cyclist (Chris Boardman) who managed to win gold at an Olympics, he was lucky it wasn't because of the work of the governing body. . Even after this though the cycling governing body was a bit of a shambles, riders would be picked to represent the country, would have their kit posted and would make their own way to events, providing their own support.

Things have only changed more recently because more money has become available, the governing body really are a professional bunch and British Cycling is now a model the world over of how a national governing body should be run.

The money has been used to hone the skills and talent of those who already cycle, being brutally honest to the ones they do not think will make it. But it's also been used to weed out talent that may not cycle, the famous example is Rebecca Romero, who'd won an Olympic silver medal before converting to cycling (interestingly it's been said she might give speed skating a go). She was tested by BC to see whether the numbers showed if she could make it as a cyclist and she has. Jo Rowsell (World Champion - Team Pursuit) was at school when BC went to do some testing of students, she had a go for fun and was shown to have a really good engine, so was developed by BC.

Money might help develop those already highlighted as being in the system. It might be too late for Chemmy, but the younger team members, maybe the XC skiers may do well out of a professional governing body with good funding. But most of all a professional well managed governing body should be doing more to find those who may excel in other sports, which could be converted into a new sport.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I would be willing to do that if there were enough other people involved to make a difference snowHead
ski holidays
British skiers are seriously underfunded, but I think that's a bit of a bleat from Chemmy. She's been superbly positive for ages, but possibly too much, and maybe this is the hangover. If there's any criticism of her performances, she's partly provoked it herself by continually going on about how she was a serious medal hope for the Super-combined. She never was, barring a miracle, but that raises the expectations unrealistically. When she just gets what she merits, then those inflated expectations will come back to bite her. AIUI she's also taken the lions share of the money available from SSGB, so if anyone can complain about underfunding it's the other guys. She's also quite unabashed about how she uses her looks to raise profile and money, so she's in a pretty good position compared to the rest. OK she's by far and away our best skier, and so deserves the support, but that does sound a bit of a whinge - maybe she's equally unhappy by her own performances.

Of course if she has a chance to get to the World Cup finals she should be helped to get there, but I think we always do ourselves a disservice by raising false hopes. And I'm afraid I find Nick Fellows one of the worst at this.

(Sorry this is GrahamN - I'm just using norris's computer)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 28-02-10 18:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
hammerite wrote:
But most of all a professional well managed governing body should be doing more to find those who may excel in other sports, which could be converted into a new sport.

I'm not sure that would work with Alpine Skiing, you really need to put in a lot of time to develop the skills before you reach peak strength.

I thought that XC used to do this, take good distance runners and teach them to ski, I don't know how well it worked though.
snow report
rob@rar, I'm in and will pass the cap round the village.....
snow report
norris wrote:
AIUI she's also taken the lions share of the money available from SSGB, so if anyone can complain about underfunding it's the other guys.

My understanding is the opposite. She was in personal receipt of funds from a World Class Performance budget, and some of those funds were used for summer training for other racers. I might, however, got the wrong end of the stick on this.
snow conditions
Iski, redrunmarcus, thanks. Hopefully we'll get a few more people to get the ball rolling. No point in thinking about how to collect funds until there's a critical mass of people who say they're up for this.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Maybe we could organise a Les Arcs/Montalbert race to raise some money -What about a Montalbert -Villaroger challenge...........
latest report
rjs wrote:
hammerite wrote:
But most of all a professional well managed governing body should be doing more to find those who may excel in other sports, which could be converted into a new sport.

I'm not sure that would work with Alpine Skiing, you really need to put in a lot of time to develop the skills before you reach peak strength.

I thought that XC used to do this, take good distance runners and teach them to ski, I don't know how well it worked though.

I agree with you there, it's difficult to get someone who has a "good engine" and convert them into doing well at a technical sport, like skiing. It's also true of cycling to a degree, initially those people with a good engine will compete in individual events like pursuit or time trials where it's about you giving your all, you don't need to have a load of tactical awareness or be as safe as you do say with road racing.

But it could be done like you say with XC, some of the freestyle events maybe - I bet a lot of the Chinese on the aerials were good gymnasts before they tried skiing. Whilst this doesn't effect SSGB, most of the bobsleighers and other sliding athletes seem to have transferred from other sports, perhaps with the exception of the drivers. Some of the speed skaters are very talented cyclists - chap with the name Bos represented Netherlands in speed skating, and took part in the team sprint cycling at the summer games with his brother (pro cyclist) Theo, and Eric Heiden speed skater who won everything in the 80's also rode the Tour de France for a pro team - (but this is digression!)
latest report
hammerite, I could imagine Mark Cavendish making a pretty awesome short-track speed skater, he's certainly got the raw engine and the attitude for it Smile
latest report
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
hammerite, I could imagine Mark Cavendish making a pretty awesome short-track speed skater, he's certainly got the raw engine and the attitude for it Smile

Ah but Cav does it after 200km of racing, maybe one for the Elfstedentocht - right with the attitude though. For raw explosive speed Mr Hoy would probably be a good bet Very Happy

EDIT: Cav came second today, to a certain Theo Bos.... former track world champ (Hoy's event) and brother of cyclist/speed skater!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 1-03-10 1:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy