Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Junior to adult - when to switch?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having just come back from the last skiing holiday I'm naturally preparing for the next one Toofy Grin

My 11 yo daughter who is now 153 tall & 43kg should be ok next year on her 137 junior skis but I know she will need some bigger ones the year after (especially as my 9yo son will need hers) which got me to thinking about when kids should move from junior to adult skis.

I've been told that junior skis are "softer" than adult skis but as there is such a range of both junior & adult skis on the market I haven't found that particularly helpful. My kids, whilst not being in the running for the olympics, are pretty reasonable skiers (parallel), nearly as fast as me on the piste now Sad and are fit as they do a lot of sport (mainly swimming & judo) so, whilst they would not be pushing adult race skis at 13 they may well be at 17.

Obviously this is a bit of a long term question but as all their skis need to be either 2nd hand or discounted to allow me to afford a holiday in the 1st place I need a bit of prior preparation & planning to get the bargains.

Has anyone got any knowledge or advice please?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think your daughter will be out of those skis next year, but am happy to be contradicted. I would definitely stick to junior skis to age 14+ provided they are well-chosen. After that it is difficult to say. My son is nearly 15, 170cm and 55kg, races (but is not at a particularly high level) and is just about moving to adult skis, after skiing on junior racing skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As she wasn't really interested in race skis I got my daughter (now 14) a pair of 144 cm ladies skis (Elan My Spice) when she was 12 and they lasted her 2 seasons (about 5 weeks skiing). She had no problem with them and this year she has changed to a pair of 155 cm ladies twin tips (Dynastar She's trouble). I got both pairs in summer sales (both from Filarinskis) with 40 - 50% off. I guess you would need to get unisex ones to cover both children, it may be more of a problem then to get something as short as mid 140's in adult skis.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sukuinage wrote:
which got me to thinking about when kids should move from junior to adult skis.

When you can afford it.

Only partly a joke. Junior gear is designed to be affordable.

Some of the adult pixies here would do nicely on junior skis and save fistfuls of money at it too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The manufacturers now almost all do small sizes in ladies' skis that suit older girls, so look out for the shorter skis in adult ranges.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think it depends more on the child's size, weight and strength than anything else. In the old days when long skis were the thing i used adult skis from a young age, maybe 14 or so (i was still pretty small then). But recently I've used a junior boy's ski (i'm female) for dry slope race training and it's been fine for me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The skis at our local dry slope are stickered with a maximum weight of 45kg for junior skis. I doubt that they'll break if overloaded by a couple of kilos, but possibly they won't perform properly. Likewise, some short skis are stickered with a minimum weight (and height), so are presumably too stiff for children.

At 43kg and 153, she's close to the height and size for something like a 145 adult ski or longer if appropriate to ability.

For growing children, it's worth checking out the settings. A change of boots can mean a different sole length which may need a different DIN,(depending on height and weight as well). Junior bindings sometimes only go up to 7.

Possibly worth asking around at this time of year there are quite a lot of end of season reductions.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmmm. I'm interested in this - a few weeks ago, we were skiing and my wife decided to try for a day and loved it. The hire shop gave her 130cm skis (she can't remember what make) because she is only 140cm tall (about 55kg/120lb) that makes her short enough for junior skis but too heavy. I can't find any adult skis at 130cm so she must have been on juniors? I'm now looking for a pair for her for next season but as she is so short and only on snow plough on very very basic slopes will kids skis be ok? Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy