Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Great Skiers from small hills

Poster: A snowHead
Not all great skiers come from the big resorts - here are a couple of examples .....

Michaela Dorfmeister - Unterberg, Austria
Kathrin Zettel - Hochkar, Austria

any more?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB, Andrea Fischbacher, Eben
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lindsay Vonn, somewhere in Minnesota (in fact a lot of US skiers have been from this area).
Could perhaps be that the runs are not so long and not so steep so to get any kicks you have to race-train.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beequin,

Good call
Lindsey Vonn =Buck Hill with a vertical drop of 93m !!!!! (280m to 373m)
http://www.buckhill.com/winter/trailmap.shtml
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Danny Davis, Nub's Nob, Michigan. Sadly absent from the olympics after a back injury.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave Ryding : Pendle Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does Flaucha count as a small hill despite being linked to the ski welt? If so Maier if not I shall get my coat.

Also isnt Janka from somwhere fairly small and obscure?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flachau isn't small - get yer coat Wink

Carlo Janka is from Obersaxen although the ski resort doesn't look that small - get yer hat too Wink
http://www.obersaxen.ch/
http://www.obersaxen-mundaun.ch/Panoramakarte.75.0.html
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, Filzmoos is pretty small, Schörghoffer and Kirchgasser , but I think the best one is Marcel Hirscher from Annaberg, that is tiny!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DAB, Rainer Schoenfelder is from Petzen, that is fairly small.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Eben is run by the same lift company as Flachau....
Both are part of Ski Amadé... There is no way that the skiers fround these parts just keep to their local lump when they can ski at a choice of 3 local world cup areas... Fail

Annaberg is part of the Dachstein West system which is a big area linked to Russbach and Gossau. Again it is a big linked area... so that is a fail too!

Filzmoos is also part of ski Amadé and also has Dachstein West pretty close... so I'd say fail to that one too...

I am such a kill joy! NehNeh NehNeh
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DAB wrote:
DB, Filzmoos is pretty small, Schörghoffer and Kirchgasser , but I think the best one is Marcel Hirscher from Annaberg, that is tiny!!

Annaberg near Vienna is tiny but isn't he from Annaberg-Lungötz which is Dachstein-West with over 152km of piste?

http://www.bergfex.com/annaberg/

http://www.bergfex.com/annaberg-lammertal/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ben Turner - Radstadt Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DAB,

flangesax posted at the same time and confirmed it - get your coat. Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flangesax, OK then, what about your very own Hannes Reichelt from Radstadt!!Oh, yeah sorry.Ski Amade!
snow report
bode miller...cannon mntn, NH...

okbye
snow conditions
DB, flangesax, you boys play hard!
ski holidays
snowpatrol wrote:
bode miller...cannon mntn, NH...

okbye

Cannon. Small??? rolling eyes

okbye
latest report
Twickenham is definitely a small hill, Chemmy Alcott!

Alberto Tomba (quote from Wikipedia)

Quote:

born in Castel de Britti, San Lazzaro di Savena, between Ozzano dell'Emilia and Bologna — an area without strong alpine traditions, but not far from the appenninie pistes of Monte Cimone and Corno alle Scale.
snow report
No surprise they are usually good slalom skiers.

Anja Paerson comes to mind
ski holidays
Ed Drake...Hillingdon. After that burned down he moved to the larger hill at Wycombe ... which then burned down Laughing .
snow report
Marlies Schild - Saalfelden
snow conditions
The Gerg and Ertl dynasties are from Lengries in Oberbayern - not exactly the highest of hills. Katya Seizinger is from North Rhine Westphalia 20km NW of Dortmund.

Hilde Gerg's parents ran a mountain hut in Lengries and she apparently used to ski down from there to school when it was open. Other's from the family are Andreas, Anne-Marie and Michaela

There was an Italian girl who used to be on the World Cup circuit a while back who was born and bought up somewhere in the south, near Rome I think! Can't for the life of me remember her name though.

Traudl Hächer is from the flatlands to the NW of Chiemsee - she was a GS skier and is Viktoria Rebensburg's mother! So it obviously runs in the family!

Any Brit who makes it to these standards is a flatlander! And I sort of remember a Dutchman who made it on to the WC circuit
snow report
chrisdavis, sorry, DB will DSQ you.......its part of ski amade!!
ski holidays
The French press makes a fair bit of the fact that Marie Marchand-Arvier is originally from Nancy and only moved to the Alps as a teenager.
ski holidays
at the risk of being beaten to a pulp by arv for insinuating that Aviemore is not a big resort, what about our very own Alain Baxter?
snow conditions
DAB wrote:

The OP said 'big resorts.....'
snow conditions
chrisdavis, He was nit picking.....NOT ME!!!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DAB wrote:

Saalfelden's inbetween Lofer and Zell am See - in a wide flat valley. There's road access to Leogang and on to Saalbach etc... Ski Amade??
snow report
chrisdavis, yep, sorry mate, wow, you really like to put up a fight dont you Laughing
latest report
DAB wrote:
chrisdavis, yep, sorry mate, wow, you really like to put up a fight dont you Laughing

Laughing . Nah, let's leave that Scrappy Doo malarky to the helmet thread. When they get bored in there this will turn into a 'my resort's lower than your resort' rant.

Enjoy the peace while it lasts........
ski holidays
chrisdavis,you know it!!! How high is Leeds BTW Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
DAB, were any of the more exotic Giant Slalom olympians born below sea level?
latest report
chrisdavis, that would depend on your definition of sea level? Don´t ask me trick questions at 10.30pm wink
snow report
DAB wrote:
at the risk of being beaten to a pulp by arv for insinuating that Aviemore is not a big resort, what about our very own Alain Baxter?

and his brother and his cousin (a boarder, but a WC winning boarder none-the-less)
snow conditions
Fattes13 wrote:
Does Flaucha count as a small hill despite being linked to the ski welt? If so Maier if not I shall get my coat.

Also isnt Janka from somwhere fairly small and obscure?

With Flachau having 111 Km of Pistes and a little over 1000m of vertical, it isn't small.

It also isn't linked to the Ski Welt, but rather is part of the Ski Amade ski area (which consists of a number of resorts which are not lift linked).

But TBH, you really cannot describe anybody coming from the Austrian Tirol, Styria or Salzburgerland as coming from somewhere without decent sized hills, as pretty well anywhere in those areas is within an hour or so of good sized ski areas.
latest report
chrisdavis wrote:
DAB, were any of the more exotic Giant Slalom olympians born below sea level?

Taina Barioz was born in Tahiti, probably fairly close to sea level.
ski holidays
Two of the all time greats were not exactly from major alpine areas.
Ingemar Strenmark was from Sweden which, whilst it boast plenty of skiing does not compare with the major alpine resorts. I don't think his local hill was a major one. Alberto Tomba was from one of the non alpine bits of Italy though reading his Wikipedia artice he apparently learnt to ski in the Appenines.

Edit:

Oops Colin B beat me to it.
ski holidays
didier cuche - les bugnenets
ski holidays
Quote:

well... i think it is Salzburger Super Ski Pass territory... can't be ars*d to ge my map out at the mo...
But alex_heney has a good point... the area needs to be widened... anyone in Salzburgerland has great access to tons of skiing no matter if they are from a tiny hamlet or a 'massive' city (like Radstadt!!)...

however... I recon Frosty the Snowman may have hit the nail on the head really!!!! Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy