Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why have helmets made people so arrogant?

Poster: A snowHead
Axsman, for me the question is "why do I need to warn the downhill skier of what I'm planning to do?".
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, For their convenience and reassurance.

As a nervous novice, someone 'appearing out of nowhere' or even the sound of someone approaching (snowboards are the worst for this) used to add to my anxiety. I didn't know where they were (other than behind me) or if they'd seen me. Might they at any moment be about to plough straight into my back?

Wheras the reassuring 'click click' let me know that they had seen me and were intending to come past made me confident that they had seen me, and were letting me know they were about to overtake.

TBH I suspect that many novices, who find cattracks stressful anyway since they are not confident of their ability to turn within the boundaries, would MUCH rather be (gently) over taken, than have a skier right behind them who might 'crash into them at any moment'. I'm not saying this is a real risk, and if it is it would obviously be the uphill skiers fault, but like learner drivers on country roads, just having someone on your tail' is off putting.

For me, it is a very close analogy to the cycling on a mixed use path that Jim used. But again I emphasise that pole clicking is NOT an excuse to pass too close. Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Clearly the problem is well recognised and has been since at least 1995:

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5429389/description.html

Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Axsman, in my experience the skiers who are most likely to do something unexpected are going to be fazed by any sound behind them. I don't see how the tapping of poles from behind them is going to be reassuring - it will be just another factor adding to the stress levels. It's an unfamiliar sound, and they probably won't know what is meant by it. I don't know what is meant by it. Is it "get out of my way slow coach", or "I'm coming through on the right", or "I'm coming through on the left", or "I'm leading a group of kids in a snake, make sure we all get past", or "my daredevil but nearly blind granny is following my pole clicks", etc, etc.

How would a nervous skier know which side you intend to pass them on? Surely it's better for all concerned to wait until there is enough room to pass? If there's someone very slow and probably very nervous I try to time my overtaking so they are turning away from me, eg as the downhill skier is turning to the right I'll pass on the left. I very rarely find I have to change my speed that much, just plan ahead and find a sensible gap.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
I try to time my overtaking so they are turning away from me, eg as the downhill skier is turning to the right I'll pass on the left. I very rarely find I have to change my speed that much, just plan ahead and find a sensible gap.

Spot on.

If it is helpful to the downhill skier on a path to hear anything, words are arguably much better. "On your right" or "on your left" are meaningful: clicking poles aren't. And you have only 6 words to learn to cover the languages of the countries you are likely to be skiing in.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought that clicking poles was the standard way of indicating your position to people on narrow tracks - which is quite useful. "a droite", "a gauche" are even better. I know this and Im a boarder. As for helmets making people more arrogant - this didnt seem to be the case a few years ago when it was just boarders wearing helmets wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JDC wrote:
I thought that clicking poles was the standard way of indicating your position to people on narrow tracks

How close do you need to be so the skier in front of you knows that you're either on their right or their left?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
JDC wrote:
I thought that clicking poles was the standard way of indicating your position to people on narrow tracks

How close do you need to be so the skier in front of you knows that you're either on their right or their left?

if youre overtaking on a narrow track - say which side youre overtaking on - its not rocket science.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JDC wrote:
"a droite", "a gauche" are even better.

Not in Austria! Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
I very rarely find I have to change my speed that much, just plan ahead and find a sensible gap.

Completely agree (when I am not watching my skis..... wink )

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 26-02-10 11:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JDC, sorry I don't think I made myself clear. If you are clicking poles how close do you need to be to the person in front of you so they can tell whether you are coming through in the left or the right?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, Ok fair points. And from the opinions expressed here (that is the 'sensible' ones!) it 's clear that most folks won't appreciate the good intentions behind the pole click and will either be startled, or annoyed. Guess I'll stop doing it since it's not considered helpful. Laughing

Back OT IMHO Powderhound's 'question' is a poorly disguised attempt to troll up yet another Helmet argument, (which has of course worked rolling eyes ). The fact that he's now bleating on the Chaudron thread about how hard it is to start a thread and how 'nasty' everyone was to him, is (again IMHO) completely pathetic - poor little tyke.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
JDC, sorry I don't think I made myself clear. If you are clicking poles how close do you need to be to the person in front of you so they can tell whether you are coming through in the left or the right?

Ah right - well I do prefer calling out the side myself personally. If I hear a click I generally try to keep a straightish line until the skier is past - but you have a point there, saying which side youre on is more useful.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Axsman wrote:
... most folks won't appreciate the good intentions behind the pole click and will either be startled, or annoyed.

I think that's right.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JDC wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
JDC wrote:

if youre overtaking on a narrow track - say which side youre overtaking on - its not rocket science.

Ah, but which language? Pole clacking is internationally understood as "impatient twerp coming through on your left/right" Laughing
snow conditions
JDC wrote:
... saying which side youre on is more useful.

But which language do you use. I ski a lot on France and if someone shouted out a direction in French I'd have to use Google Language to work that out Embarassed A recipe for confusion IMO. Far better to overtake when a warning is not necessary.
snow conditions
So I should now call out in every language under the sun (including Klingon in case of a stoned boarder), click my poles in case of an old timer, foreguess the person in fronts' interpretation of my meaning (my left? their left?) and then make the final assumption that they are not deaf before even contemplating passing someone on the slopes?

Have I got it?

I'm not sure it is helmets that make people arrogant - it is just elf n safety mad tree hugging liberals
snow report
Shimmy Alcott,
Quote:

Ah, but which language? Pole clacking is internationally understood as "impatient twerp coming through on your left/right"

Sorry didn't realise it was you Cool
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
JDC wrote:
... saying which side youre on is more useful.

But which language do you use. I ski a lot on France and if someone shouted out a direction in French I'd have to use Google Language to work that out Embarassed A recipe for confusion IMO. Far better to overtake when a warning is not necessary.

ok - Im guessing you know a hell of alot more about this stuff than myself (only being an occassional boarder). In my own experience on a narrow track where people are moving at different speeds, generally in a straight line, it has been helpful to indicate to the person in front of you that youre passing (or are next to them) in the language of your choosing.

Certainly if youre behind a boarders back on a narrow trail it would be to your benefit to tell them that you were there.
snow conditions
The Voice of Reason wrote:
So I should now call out in every language under the sun (including Klingon in case of a stoned boarder), click my poles in case of an old timer, foreguess the person in fronts' interpretation of my meaning (my left? their left?) and then make the final assumption that they are not deaf before even contemplating passing someone on the slopes?

That would cover all the bases. Or you could just ski past them. Works for me.
snow conditions
This is turning into the possibly the world's most anal thread ever. How about you all just exercise a bit of common sense? Laughing
ski holidays
Come on, rob@rar, that's just a wee bit of an exaggeration Smile Use the language of the country you are in. As I said you only need to learn 6 words: that covers France, Italy, Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Go on, you can do it! Repeat after me,
sinistra destra
gauche droite
links rechts

Now that wasn't hard was it? wink

On the other hand, as you say, just ski carefully past them. It's a bit like driving isn't it? You wait patiently for the safe moment and overtake.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 26-02-10 11:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
So we come to the ( usual snowHead ) conclusion, that we are all different. Some think that clacking useful as an indicator pf presence, some think it will disturb people. I doubt anyone is going to change their minds as a result of a internet thread, although it is useful to have alternate viewpoints.

That's perhaps where we go wong - although we are expressing an opinion, and imparting a useful point of view, quite often these thread end up as shouting matches trying to change everyone else to accepting YOUR rightness. - And yes I do it too.

So.

I shall continue to clack in the belief it makes things safer: for me , for others. Other skiers will not, on the grounds they think it makes things less safe, and them look like a total wally.

I may modify my behaviour to include " a droite / a gauche" but unlikely as I stopped doing it a while ago when I found that
(a)people did't know if that means you want them to move to the left/right when in fact you are happy for them to continue as is, and you are going to pass on left / right, and
(b) not all of them speak French, even in France...

Just think - if we were all the same, Showheads would serve no purpose and die.
latest report
joneski, if she is doing a lot of tree skiing she may be better off with a lid with a peak on it...helps to deflect branches etc etc...

okbye
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Shimmy Alcott,
Quote:

Ah, but which language? Pole clacking is internationally understood as "impatient twerp coming through on your left/right"

Sorry didn't realise it was you Cool

Nothing wrong with my ding-a-ling I will have you know
ski holidays
JimW, Now was there any need to come on here and be reasonable? shame on you.
snow report
JimW, Yes quite. You've caused enough trouble on this thread. now s0d off! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Axsman wrote:
Clearly the problem is well recognised and has been since at least 1995:

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5429389/description.html

Laughing

That's the way to go, a big cylinder of compressed air and a air horn the length of the pole, REALLY let them know your there Smile

As for saying "left" or "right" I'm dyslexic and one of my problems is if you say left to me some time I move to the right and Vice-versa.

I'm in the camp of if you cannot time it safely and at no inconvenience to the slower skier you should wait it out until you can. Try practicing your drills while your bumming along.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Axsman wrote:

Back OT IMHO Powderhound's 'question' is a poorly disguised attempt to troll up yet another Helmet argument, (which has of course worked rolling eyes ). The fact that he's now bleating on the Chaudron thread about how hard it is to start a thread and how 'nasty' everyone was to him, is (again IMHO) completely pathetic - poor little tyke.

Just very sensitive is all... and exhausted with all this banter.

Enjoy your weekends one and all, ski safe, however you choose to do it. I'll be doing it on my pathetic 201 DP Pros as usual.

Lots of love

A pathetic poor little tyke
snow conditions
Powderhound, Just by not been here don't think this thread will die. It's got a life of it's own now, by Monday it would have disappeared up its own back bottom and everyone will be agreeing with you Smile
snow report
Dwarf Vader, well maybe not EVERYONE wink Laughing
ski holidays
Seriously though, which helmet thread is the best one to get accurate information from to enable me to decide whether or not a helmet is worth it? I really really dont want to wear one and I will be a "gaper" as I will wear it with sunnies unless the weather is bad...but as a responsible Mum should I be buying one? Honest question.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
... Honest question.

Hahahahahahahahahahahah! Laughing Twisted Evil
snow report
Dwarf Vader, following from afar Cool
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, You ski WITHOUT a helmet and you have a child Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked etc etc wink
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, but if she gets a lid she's actually going to wear sunglasses with it....it says it right there in her last post....

okbye
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, rent one for a day and make your own mind up

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 26-02-10 13:04; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Jesus H Christ...
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
Jesus H Christ...

Would wearing an helmet have helped him out?
ski holidays
red 27, don't call me that.....i get embarrassed...

okbye
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy