Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone done a BASI Trainee Instructor Course??

Poster: A snowHead
Masque, fascinating list and well worth reading. I'm also surprised by the NZ level 2 being in list 3, but if it's there, it's there. Perhaps they aren't expecting many Kiwis in other countries, but given their propensity for travel this seems unlikely.

I do agree that both BASI & ENSA tend to be very insular in their approaches (in fact if you want to pass a BASI exam you have to follow the book/DVD or whatever) which seems a shame. Perhaps with more BASI members now being members of SIMS and doing their refreshers as well as our own there'll be more tranference?

BTW BASI membership is a colossal waste of money if you work here, but you have to belong to be able to belong to SIMS and get your Carte Professionelle!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Preston Pete,

I did CSIA level I independantly (at Kicking Horse) with the intention of doing level II. Apart from anything else it was some of the best instruction I've had and the manual was also very clear and easily understandable. However, it quickly became apparent I simply wasn't good enough to do level II and I binned that idea. I did it out of personal interest initially, rather than with any intention of teaching.

Before the course I thought I was a prety good skier but I had to completely re-model my skiing and stop waving my arms around ! A couple of years later and I still think about what I was taught, whether I'm applying it and I love watching and analysing other skiers technique.

I did CSIA because they were very responsive and helpful. I got a poor/minimal response from BASI (course manual turned up a couple of months after leaving a number of voicemails and sending a letter) but I may have been unlucky.

One important thing, if I had my time again I'd definitely look for a course/situation that gave me the chance to do some teaching because, having done the course, I would of really liked to try putting what I'd learn in to practice.

Another thing is the CSIA Level I is only 4 days and is a relatively cheap way to have a 'taster' and decide if you want to continue down the path. Note you have to be CSIA level III to be internationally qualified.

Regards,
NickW
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NickW wrote:
I did CSIA because they were very responsive and helpful. I got a poor/minimal response from BASI (course manual turned up a couple of months after leaving a number of voicemails and sending a letter) but I may have been unlucky.

You weren't. They'd not be my first choice of people to arrange a brewery event rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am a BASI 3 and am heading off to NZ in the summer to sit the NZSIA 2 which gives ISIA qualification.

The NZSIA only have 1, 2 then trainer so, I guess it is in group 3 on the list because it is the top level.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Preston Pete-my brother did a BASI instructor course in his gap year in Val D'isere last season and passed...he said it was absolutely fantastic fun and one of the the best things he's ever done...that's why i am doing A 14 week BASI course in Meribel next season in my gap year!

He said that he would definately recommend it to anybody and after meeting the BASI trainers when i went out to visit i can see why-they were a really good laugh and i'm sure would have made it awesome fun. Also, you don't have to be a fantastic standard to be able to do it i don't think...as long as you are a pretty competent skier you'll be fine.

Anyway...overall i would say go for it! snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
revolutionski, Some other countries top levels are not on list 3, so that won't be it. They've supposedly checked all the syllabii and standards and the lists are formed from that.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, Fair enough. Give me a few months and I will tell you what it's like.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi All,

I thought I would bring this back up again as it made for a good debate last year Very Happy

Has anyone done the one week course this year and what did you cover as the BASI website is useless ! Crying or Very sad

Why did you do it ? was it a way of getting a weeks instruction ( an expensive way ?) or did you do it for a career change ?

ready > can of worms now open again Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Curtains, Yes it's worth doing - IF you want to have a career in snowsports instruction. If you don't want to teach, there are cheaper ways of getting lessons.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree if you are doing it for instruction it cant be worth it , I was curious to know how the course itself worked as there is very little on the website. Puzzled

I must admit the thought obtaining a BASI qualification does appeal but I would not be in a position to take up that career for another 17 years ( i.e when I retire at 52, with good health I hope ),but I would be able to notch up the minimum 70 hours required at a local dry ski slope and hopefully work my way through the BASI system.

Maybe I just live in a dream world where the thought of finding a instructors job at the age of 52 exists Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Curtains, For working at a dryslope you don't need BASI. Snowsport England do an 'ASSI' - Artificial Ski Slope Instructor qualification, which is much cheaper, and can be done at home.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

can be done at home

Shocked Even if you've never skied at all Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maggi, My wife went mad the other day when i covered the Stairs in snowflex , I dont know what her problem was I hoovered later but I left the Stanner stair lift in. Laughing

I've got season passes for sale or 10 euro's for the week Razz
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski, I would like to work abroad but not for many years ( i.e the kids need to have left school etc and I will have retired ).

however a ASSI could be a start, my thought was more a long term slog to get the qualification as I have 17 years and can spread the cost out over that period and not be worried about a income from it .

If that make sense ?

But then who is there to say that there will be any snow in 17 years time with the possible effects of global warming ( now I am really going off the thread )
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Curtains, Start with the ASSI - and work from there wink .... You'll soon find out whether you enjoy teaching or not Shocked 17 years is plenty of time to get through the BASI system....the Speed test favours those with younger legs !

Any time or money spent on ASSI will help with your BASI preparation in any case.
ski holidays
Curtains,

On the BASI trainee instructor course they take your skiing back to the very basics, looking at the fundamental elements, before building it up again and teaching you the progression through the central theme before moving on to higher end skiing, and looking at the basics of teaching. The emphasis is on how you are going to demonstrate / teach what you learn.

Remember that a trainee instrutor will begin by teaching beginners, so you will spend a lot more time perfecting your snow plough than you will in the steeps and deeps! That said I found it the best teaching I'd ever had up until that point.
snow conditions
Curtains, A Scottish ASSI run over a week or a couple of weekends is a worthwhile course. If you pass you are qualified to teach on plastic and get plenty of experience The qualification gives you exemption from taking the BASI trainee instructor course and you can go straight into the Instructor training course.
This is the route I took after many years of holding a ESC club instructor award and finally making the effort to get my BASI3
snow report
Curtains, I agree with the dvice you've already been given, but also you (if you want to work abroad) will need to do a lot of race training as you will have to pass your Eurotest. If it's not a rude question - how old are you? If you've never raced and are already in your mid 20's you'll need to get on with this pronto, as the older you get the more difficult it will be to achieve the standard.

Do your ASSI asap, and then the BASI 3. Then you'll be able to take the eurotest as soon as you're ready. You should race as much as possible on plastic, and also do race training at every opportunity on snow (the eurotest is a GS, so plastic racing is not sufficient preparation on it's own). In the time scale you're talking about, the liklihood is that the pan european ski teacher qualification will be in place, so there won't be any countries in europe where you'll be able to teach without it. (the eurotest).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy