Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Couchette survival tips

Poster: A snowHead
Give me your best tips for surviving the 6 berth couchette from Paris to Bourg St Maurice!

Decided to give the train a go next week, travelling mid week for a long weekend and never done it before. Should probably know better after failing to make it on Eurostar at Xmas, but surely it can't go wrong twice Happy

TIA
Dave
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Comfy pillow
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Earplugs!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
don't take more luggage than you're happy to share a narrow bunk with
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lock the door from teh inside !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam, I'm hoping skis go under the bottom bunk?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaveB, unless you're sharing with people you know and the door is locked, everything goes in your bunk with you. Your passport/money/tickets/phone should be in your sleeping bag and preferably attached to your body.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaveB, if there's any room under the bottom bunks the occupants of those bunks (or someone who got there before you) might have stuffed their stuff under it. When I did it, we didn't take our own skis. We had everything in backpacks which we used as (rather lumpy) pillows. Don't on any account take a suitcase. You have to assume you have to share your bunk with all your stuff - but you might just strike lucky. On our outward trip the whole 6 berths were full, but our fellow occupants, 4 young Italian men, all wanted to sleep. On the way back I had the entire compartment to myself - OH having had to be whisked home by the insurance company to deal with a freak tornado having blown half our roof off.

Another tip - big bottle of water for the night.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

big bottle of water for the night.

Top tip! But go for a wee before you get into bed, especially if you're on the top bunk. And definitely bag the top bunk, to avoid being disturbed by everyone else going for a wee.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

And definitely bag the top bunk, to avoid being disturbed by everyone else going for a wee.

Or worse, disturbed by those who failed to go for a wee until it was too late
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam_w

Don't SNCF still supply water ?

We had the skis balanced from the little shelf thing over the window to the ledge over the door and hung hand baggage from them.

Main tip, whne you get on, be careful to fold the beds the right way. Inevitably some twit releases a bunk so that it gets locked into the wrong thingy and you need a penknife to release it and set it the right way.

It's all perfectly pleasant really, you might wake up in the sidings somewhere. They basically park up for a while and ther's a bit of shunting.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is some Frenchman who probably still be recalling at dinner parties (probably spitting food out with pent up rage) about this Englishman that ruined his family's holiday a few years ago. He would probably advise that you avoid anyone called Axsman when travelling in a couchette. wink Laughing

snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks, might have to take a special bottle to avoid the loo trip Happy
The skis have to come with me though as I can't really afford the hire on top of the train tickets. Guess I'll have to cuddle up to them.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When you first get in one with strangers
Get all kit squared away
give polite hellos
Introduce yourselves
Swap a few stories
Then get out your packed lunch
Guiness
tin of cold baked bean
and brussel sprouts
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Go for the bottom bunk, far cooler. Comfy Pillow, ear plugs, water, 500mg of Rohypnol.
ski holidays
I agree with Frosty. I used a top bunk last year and it was like being in a slow cooker. I also found it quite claustrophobic. Each bunk has a little red light beside it. It is much pleasanter to leave that light on all night.

You'll find the ledge above the door offers quite a bit of storage space. There is also a storage area at one end of the compartment, which would be useful for skis - though I could understand if you didn't want to leave anything there.

Lastly, I'd recommend trying 1st class if you take the train again. With only 4 bunks per compartment, there's much more space and two fewer strangers to worry about. Also, if you are able to book well in advance, you'd be surprised how little it can cost in France.

But, best of all, you'll get to Bourg in the early morning and have a whole extra day in the mountains.
ski holidays
Thanks for all of the tips. I think every ski trip needs a little epicness, mine will occur in the 6 sleeper couchette quickly followed by the bumps under the Varet bubble Shocked
ski holidays
Make sure you tie your laces (or at least tuck them in your shoes) if using the toilet during the night - just in case others have missed!! Shocked

I did Beijing to Xi'an last year, and the toilet floors were disgusting by morning (we had 2 carriages of Brits using them exclusively too...... Confused ). Lots of the group had pi$$ soaked laces to deal with next morning.
latest report
DaveB wrote:
travelling mid week for a long weekend
Most of the people posting here I suspect have always gone out Friday night.
The weekend trains are always packed. But the midweek trains are much quieter.
Midweek, I've sometimes had the couchette to myself, and never shared with more than 2 others, so there was plenty of room for luggage.
You don't get a bottle of water provided in a 6-berth couchette (2nd class).
But you can get people chatting loudly outside your door well into the night.
My Top Tip: take a sleeping tablet.

I agree with dmac442: well worth booking early and going 1st class.
Much more comfortable and your travel companions usually more interested in sleeping than chatting.

Top or bottom bunk is a personal choice. Just avoid the middle one.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy