Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airboards - a real, fun alternative to skiing?! But with a health warning...

Poster: A snowHead
Airboards are something I discovered 3 years ago and this year have been enjoying it almost as much as skiing. So much so, that I hop on the last chairlift each day with my board and dogs, then walk up the emptying pistes for about 45 minutes before hurtling the 6 km or so back home. Great exercise for the dogs and a good way to blow away the office cobwebs and do some 'strategy'.

For those that haven't seen them (http://airboard.com/flash.htm), they are a sledge made of industrial grade rubber that you inflate and then lie on head first. There are two handles (and a leash) that allow you to a) stay on and b) exercise a modicum of directional control. In decent conditions they are faster than skis - although they accelerate a bit slower and decelerate a bit quicker - and because of the pilot's proximity to the ground and the noise it produces the adrenalin rush is significant. With some practice you can actually exercise quite a bit of control even at Mach 3, stopping is via a kind of hockey stop but does need to be planned in advance!

They do come with a health warning though. I wear knee pads and old salopettes. You should wear a helmet and back protector too (not quite doing that yet) and an all-in-one is, for once, better than a two piece.

Last winter we managed to break a breast bone and 3 ribs by crashing and hitting nothing other than the ground. This year we have managed to rupture a liver and a kidney by coming off at speed and landing on a wallet that was in a front pocket. These were in three separate incidents and the common theme was releasing the board because it was getting too fast... The health warning is: this could be bad for you, but to minimise risk to your internal organs and bones, always keep the board between you and whatever you are about to hit, including the ground - an inflatable sledge will always be softer than the ground, tree, punter, row of skis and poles, restaurant that you are about to hit. All of these have been in involved in minor mishaps this season!

A great sport and a great alternative to skiing at the end of the day. Beware that some resorts don't let you on the lifts with them so if you see a group of loonies at Easter blasting between Les Arcs 2000 and the bus stop at the bottom of the hill then getting on the navette to go back round with a couple of black spaniels then say 'hi'!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Last winter we managed to break a breast bone and 3 ribs by crashing and hitting nothing other than the ground. This year we have managed to rupture a liver and a kidney by coming off at speed and landing on a wallet that was in a front pocket.

You're really selling this here.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There was one in the ski room where I stayed in Laax last week. I wondered what it was, it looked a bit like a dinghy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
managed to rupture a liver and a kidney by coming off at speed and landing on a wallet that was in a front pocket

I don't think that's what's meant by organ donation.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 24-02-10 20:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Works with lilos too wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Powderhound, - I was getting quite interested - and then I read your fourth paragraph - ruptured liver and kidney hmmmmmmmm Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Beware that some resorts don't let you on the lifts with them

the sooner that reads "resorts don't let you on the lifts with them" the better Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seems to me you might as well just go binbagging like we used to on school ski trips before they banned it (probably with some justification, I have to admit).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Powderhound wrote:
In decent conditions they are faster than skis

I find that pretty hard to believe. What conditions are "decent" conditions for these things. Can't say i fancy hitting drops and jumps on one of those. Could be quite funny as a one off though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saw a video online a while ago. Rather be on skiboards.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w,

'the sooner that reads "resorts don't let you on the lifts with them" the better'

Why? Sounds like you have an axe to grind. Never has any of us touched an innocent bystander or skier and people like you are the condom on the phallus of progress. Still using straight skis and rear-entry boots? And Emsworth must give you lots of opportunity to practice your mountaincraft. I practice mine every day and it's pretty good so it is more likely to be folk like you that will cause the problem than those like me and those that come with me.

Lifts either only allow you on at the very end of the day (e.g. Verbier) then ask you to wait as the last skiers filter through, which we do. Or, and especially in Switzerland, they have dedicated pistes for sledging or even airboarding where skiers go at their own risk and sledges/airboards can go with impunity.

snowbandit, this injury was sustained because she (the injured party) insists on carrying the contents of her handbag in her wallet when skiing (or airboarding) which means it is the size of a small brick or 80s mobile phone, then puts in the front pocket of her jacket.

el nombre, 'decent' is empty pistes (steep blue runs safest and best), groomed hard pack and a few rollers for some air. 'Superb' is back-country spring snow, any gradient, open areas with only a few trees!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"The condom on the phallus of progress" - classic! Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

a modicum of directional control.

if you're the tool of progress then I'll keep my distance, thanks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
probably best...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
Works with lilos too wink

and they leave those orange ones all over the place for you to use Toofy Grin wink

(I am Joking and fully aware that those orange lilos are to protect skiers from damage by slopeside furniture trees etc etc.)
snow conditions
Quick google shows £220 for a nice silver one.
Wonder if you could fill it with hydrogen and get extra lift through the jumps...hmm
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy