Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rusty Beginner

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Everyone,

I don't know whether this is the right forum to put this in etc. but i thought this was most appropriate for my particular question hope that's ok Smile

Anyone, back to the question...basically i've only been skiing once back in 2004 roughly in Slovenia, and absolutely loved it...i was a complete novice, never skiied before in my life, had about 3 2 hour lessons and i could go down a blue run confidently on my own.

Now my question is, that, i'm planning another skiing holiday with my family in late 2010/early 2011 (haven't decided yet, probably to Les Arcs in France as i've heard it's good for beginners).

Now, i consider myself a confident beginner if that makes sense i'm confident of my ability on skis and confident that i can handle any Blue slope Les Arcs can throw at me, however...as i will have been 6 years without skiing, i wanted to ask your opinions on whether i should take a refresher lesson for 1/2 hours on my first day just to refresh my mind and get everything working smoothly again?

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blakey101,

YES.........before you start to develop bad habits from being self taught; a typically British thing!

If finances allow get a private lesson for a hour or two.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I totally agree with susieski. Private lessons (with a good instructor) can make you a better skier very quickly.

Perhaps even consider taking some lessons on a dry slope or indoor slope in the UK before you go.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with susieski, and Walter-Spitty,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Take more than a refresher course! You will need to take a full course or even a few more courses. You obviously have excelled more than most beginners but you want to be able to do the runs with confidence and a bit of style!

Have fun wherever you decide to go!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Blakey101, Take a full week of 2hrs a morning lessons. I've done it for the past 5 years and my girlfriend has done it for the past 12 years and it is part of the holiday we look forward to most. You really will get so much more out of your skiing! The other huge bonus is that they often act as a kind of guide for the week. I have skiid in spots I would have never even seen behind instructors. They really do knoe the mountain like the back of their hand. I recommend ESF, awesome teaching. Can be a little sink or swim but if you're confident it should push you along brilliantley. Remember, top ski racers still have coaches.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, agree, full week of lessons if possible, but if not, then at least three private sessions. There are plenty of people on this forum who know Les Arcs well (I'm not one of them) who could recommend a ski school and/or an instructor. It's a big mistake to stop lessons too early. Many of us still take them after many, many, years skiing. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get more than one lesson if you ever want to progress into a good skier!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's essential you take some sort of lessons.... there's all too many brit skiers who do a weeks ski school then think they can teach themselves.... it leads to rubbish style and technique and is potentially very dangerous.... we've all seen them screaming down the pistes..... super wide stance.... hands by sides... leaning back.... a national embarrassment at best and an accident waiting to happen at worst!!!

Personally if you're confident and capable of quick progression I wouldn't entertain group lessons.... I would take that pot of dosh you were planning to spend on group lessons and spend it on private lessons, preferably with an instructor someone recommends on here rather than just booking with ESF who are somewhat renowned for having no interest in teaching Briit novices and would rather be teaching french child ski racer prodigys as many of then ESF are effectively failed ski racers... (A sweeping generalisation I know, but with a strong element of truth)

Remember that groups are only as good / quick as their weakest link and if you're a stronger member of a group it means a lot of standing around waiting at that sort of level of skiing. Even better, if there's someone of a similar ability level the two of you should hire a private instructor.... its usually x euros for one person with the instructor then an extra 10 or 20 euros for an additional person and this makes it good value considering what you actually get.

The plus side of groups is the social aspect and it can be fun learning with others you've never met... new friends... people to lunch with etc.... depends on your motivation really.... to get as good as you possibly can in the shortest time or to learn slower with other people and potentially have a lot of fun doing it.... whichever you chose, do yourself and everyone else on the pistes a favour by definately taking lessons of some sort. Good luck!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would continue to do morning ski school until you can confidently ski a red run with parallel turns.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A 1.5 hour private lesson with the ESF is around 40-50euros for 1 or 2 people (does not come down for 1 alone), my suggestion (against the grain on here) is have your first morning/day on nursery/green slopes to find your feet. Day two have a private lesson on the morning, practice new technique in the afternoon. Be amazed at how much you learnt in your lesson and book up another one for later in the week!

I know how spending racks up so it depends how much you want to advance on your hols and how much you can afford. I would urge you to continue lessons though!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd pretty much agree with what manicpb, says..... but do 2 hrs day 1 or 2 then a days practicing then another 2 hour lesson the days after that. Also it might be an idea to pre-book before you leave the UK so you get the instructors / times you want.... I always find morning lessons better than afternoons and the earlier you start the less crowded the pistes and the less the lift queues so the more skiing you get in with the instructor. I'd always recommend spending whatever a full weeks ski school would cost you on private lessons.... more if you can afford it and are prepared to part with your hard earned....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks alot guys for your responses, seems like i've got more options than i originally thought of.

I didn't originally plan on getting a full set of lessons for the week as this is probably going to be quite expensive, especially at Les Arcs where everything seems really expensive in the ski hire/lift pass department.

Therefore, due to my budget i'll probably go with what manicpb has suggested, having a day on the slopes by myself seeing how much i remember and getting back into the swing of things again followed by a 1/2 hour lesson the next day, and repeated again the day after if wanted/needed.

Thanks for all your advice Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy