Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Women's Giant Slalom

Poster: A snowHead
Dwarf Vader, I got the impression that they thought she was holding back, and could easily have skied faster, if that was the case, I think my son's comparison is correct.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dwarf Vader,
Quote:

Helen Beaumont, Yes I heard that as well. I did not quite understand it, did the commentator mean that she could ski harder than she is because her technique is so good?
Surely she is skiing as hard as she can - I cannot see anyone in international competition not giving 100%?

I assume that the comment meant that Chemmy's problems are all in her head. She has the technique and ability to do better than she does but there is a mental hurdle in her belief that she can do it. Listening to Chemmy in interview she certainly comes across as someone who believes in her ability so maybe she doesn't realise herself where her mental stumbling block is.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sev112, Shocked dream on - they are wearing the same ones they have been wearing for decades!

Willy Bogner (ex-World Cup racer from the 60s) seems to be the only person the Germans allow to design their gear. White background with black tiger stripes going from the outside of the legs towards the inside are the normal ones! These just have the stripes removed as it is a trade mark these days!

The rest of his gear is overpriced bling that maybe rich eastern Europeans and wannabes who can't ski wear! It really is ghastly, thank God most people do not buy it! Toofy Grin

Viktoria Rebensberg's mother was a GS skier in the German Team, winning 4 races and won a Bronze at the 1991 Saalbach World Championships. Her name is Traudl Hächer or was before she married Viktoria's Dad.

Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:

The rest of his gear is overpriced bling that maybe rich eastern Europeans and wannabes who can't ski wear! It really is ghastly,

Ahem. This vintage fartbag has seen about 20 weeks' skiing so far, is still waterproof and cosy and I am very fond of it. Definitely not bling and, although it was an eye-watering price, I'll warrant that most people have spent more on outerwear over an equivalent period than I have. Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mancuso's time in the second run was faster than all the competitors that started after her.
And faster than all who finished ahead of her in the event.

Mancuso 1:11.24 8th
Rebensgerg 1:11.64 GOLD +0:40
Maze 1:11.64 SILVER +0:52
Goergl 1:12.13 BRONZE +0.89
Suter 1:11.55 4th +0.31
Zettel 1:12.25 5th +1.01
Hoelzl 1:11.77 6th +0.53
Brem 1:12.25 7th +1.00

The problem was Mancuso had to ski the course one and half times to record a time for the first run.
With legs muscles turned to mashed potato she was +1.30 on the first run.

This was not a world cup event this was the OLYMPICS. They only occur once in 4 years.
Even US competitors deserve better than to have start intervals dictated by the host broadcaster.
An extra 15 seconds for the first 30 competitors would have cost 7 and a half minutes but allowed a start hold to be called as soon as Vonn crashed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dwarf Vader wrote:
T-Dub wrote:
Surely Mancuso getting yellow flagged will have made her re-run the first leg on half prepared skis?

They are allowed 2 sets of ski's per race, Now I don't know if the rules state a rerun has to be on the same ski's. If not I would think she would just get on to her second set, also there was a bit of time between getting up the hill and been slotted into the start order so her ski tech would have been working on them.

Skiers are only allowed ONE SET OF LEGS.
Courses are designed to test skiers fitness over ONE run.
When a skier has to rerun their legs are full a lactic and turn into mashed potato half way down.
If you watch Mancuso's second attempt you will note how she laboured over the last half of the course like the 100th skier.
She was totally screwed by the organisers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue wrote:
sev112, Shocked dream on - they are wearing the same ones they have been wearing for decades!

The rest of his gear is overpriced bling that maybe rich eastern Europeans and wannabes who can't ski wear! It really is ghastly, thank God most people do not buy it! Toofy Grin

Bogner skiwear is great for those staying in 5 star hotels who want to spend the day in a deck chair.
They hire a ski bum to ski around all day and then report on where they skied, and what weather and snow conditions were like.
Whilst sipping their port in the evening Bogners can then tell other guest about their days exploits. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes Mancuso got a bum deal, with a good uninterrupted first run she would probably of taken gold and the title of most successful skier at the Vancover games.

Anybody read Chemmys lips at the end of her 2nd run?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
Yes Mancuso got a bum deal, with a good uninterrupted first run she would probably of taken gold

To be honest, I doubt. Her first run, actually just half of first first run, was not really all that great. At least first 3/4 of her second first run were far better then her previous attempt which was stopped. And on top of that, she wouldn't be as pissed as she was now, so her second one wouldn't be nowhere near this one either Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
primoz,

You could well have a point although maybe she lost a lot of time in her second run at the end because her legs were tired.

I didn't see or record the first run. Anybody know what was Mancuso's last split time before she was interupted i.e. how much time had she lost compared to the leader at the time and who was leader at the time?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abominable wrote:

Skiers are only allowed ONE SET OF LEGS.
Courses are designed to test skiers fitness over ONE run.
When a skier has to rerun their legs are full a lactic and turn into mashed potato half way down.
If you watch Mancuso's second attempt you will note how she laboured over the last half of the course like the 100th skier.
She was totally screwed by the organisers.

She was due to run twice that day, Granted her rerun was after a short break- the gap between the two runs was going to be about 3hrs, However her first run was a shorten one. We are talking top athletes here not a recreational skier. I'm not defending the organisers here at all but I do think you are protesting to much. Look at Finley on the Downhill last year he got most of the way down before he was yellow flagged. As the saying goes poo-poo happens.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I assume we all get the same coverage worldwide from the host broadcaster.
Due to the shortened start interval they were skipping most of the top half of the course.
Vonn's time indicated that she crashed out 80% of the way down.
The broadcaster was more interested in the Vonn incident.

They only showed Mancuso's start but without the clock.

Unfortunately they did not show the clock in the replays when she was flagged so I don't know how her time was going and don't know how far down the course she was flagged.

Maybe someone at the event can tell us.

We are not talking about recreational races conducted by package holiday companies here, we are talking about courses designed to test world class athletes fitness over one run and then a full 2 hour break.

Getting yellow flagged in a world cup is unfortunate but there is another chance the following weekend.
This is the olympics there isn't another one for 4 years.
Poo-poo can be prevented by allowing adequate start intervals to avoid yellow flags.
This is not the first olympics where FIS has destroyed a skier's dreams but it seems that FIS have been skiing without helmets and are brain dead.

Mancuso needed to be within 0.74 on her first run.
On her rerun she was up 0.04 at the 25% split, 0.40 behind at the half way split, 0.84 behind at the 75% split and 1.30 behind at the finish.
Those splits being compared to the fastest first run of the day by Goergl.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 26-02-10 12:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abominable, You can download the full results from the FIS Website. Click on the "Download PDF Files" button and select "Results, Analysis, Standings".
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dwarf Vader wrote:
Helen Beaumont, Yes I heard that as well. I did not quite understand it, did the commentator mean that she could ski harder than she is because her technique is so good?
Surely she is skiing as hard as she can - I cannot see anyone in international competition not giving 100%?

Dwarf Vader, Idle speculation from me here. Assuming 'GBski' cannot give her the same level of financial and medical support ,if she was injured, that the more successful Alpine nations( Austria, Germany, Swi, USA, Swe, Nor, etc) have available for their injured skiers then I can understand her need to protect herself out there by not skiing on the ragged edge between being in control and out of control.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abominable, I've never stayed in a 5* hotel in my life. Oh, that's not quite true, I did in Bangkok once, but there's not much call for skiwear there, Bogner or otherwise. wink
ski holidays
Hurtle, 20 weeks isn't that much! I expect to get 3 seasons out of each jacket or trousers (OK expensive) so 60 weeks or a bit more! Shocked I am ticked off if I get less.

Sorry - off topic. It seemed poor to me (Mancuso), not that she was yellow flagged, but that she was then not taken straight back up on a skidoo, and it appears that having skied to the bottom, been taken back up etc. some officious person wouldn't let her back into the start area. Whether she'd have skied as hard in the second run if it hadn't happened I also doubt - I haven't seen her ski like that for at least 2-3 seasons.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy