Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone up for Chamonix UCPA 27th March?? - Buddies wanted!

Poster: A snowHead
Darlin28, Adrian W, skiing is easier and you don't get to fall much. Even if you fall, then it's not that painful, as you fall to either left or right side, not on your back or hands. When you just start to learn skiing, you ride slowly, so sudden falls are rare, you usually perform controllable falls. Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ALISON - I may have given the impression of being some pro skier. Sadly not! I've only done 2 weeks of skiing myself too. Feel comfortable on blues, and happy tackling reds now. However, both myself and Juliette (the other girl booked with me), will prob be sticking to the blues for the first day, so you'd not be alone! The other advanced folks can whizz down the blacks together Laughing

Have looked on website and all places without instruction seem to have sold out now. However there is still availability for the ski lesson options (or off piste for anyone daring). However you could still do boarding, just means that you would be paying for the lessons still. Think they're selling out fast though, so anyone still wanting to go should book pretty quick.

MASTIN - Yup, you can so skiing on the Sun. In fact i think you can pick up your gear on the Sat night or the Sun morning. Think most people will be arriving on the Sat so we'll probably already be out on the slopes when you arrive. However can meet you in the afternoon though.

Have been asked what the plan is for the evening? Reckon best thing is to meet in the bar at about 7pm on the Sat eve. Action Outdoors has a facebook page, and if you go to the wall you can see a post I put up there a few weeks ago about going to Chamonix (not that anyone has responded!). However hopefully you can see what I look like, so you won't be walking up to the wrong person! It's a very small bar anyway. Will wear a pink t-shirt for added identifyability so you know who I am! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Guys, I've booked in with Rachel's Group for skiing, travelling from Norwich to Geneva arriving on Sat 27th at 1pm. Going to book Chamexpress for transfer. If anyone arrving same sort of time would be good to meet up at airport so drop me a msg. Chamexpress is 25euros each way. Gav
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rachel, all right, I maybe join you on Sunday afternoon Smile
Please wear pink t-shirt on Sunday evening as well, so I'll be able to identify you ))))

P.S. just kidding
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mastin - OK, will wear the pink t-shirt again on Sunday too...but only if you wear a matching one! wink

Just so all know, have looked on the Action Outdoors website, and all ski lesson places have now sold out in Chamonix. So the only places left are for the super duper ones who wish to do the off Piste course.

From what I can gather, 4 people have booked to come on this week besides myself and Juliette. Gavin, Adrian, Mastin (is that a real name?) and also a boarder called Simon who hasn't written on forum but contacted me after I put a post on the neilsons forum (which was later removed as i was advertising another company rather than Neilson's!...how naughty). If anyone else has booked then say hello!

There are obviously going to be other people there too who have booked through A.O, and we will probably be sharing rooms with them, or they'll be on the bus with me! Therefore should hopefully have some fun. However they'll be at least 6 of us now to do the apres scene together! Happy to be the guide Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
An experienced guide won't let us get lost Smile

As for me, I'll be wearing green jacket, orange pants & beanie, on the slopes (probably see you all there first time).
Black&white backpack can also be a clue.

Mastin - no, it's not a real name Very Happy

By the way, there are still places on holidays.ucpa.com for this date.

I'm going to 3 Valleys tomorrow for a couple of nights to recover after long non-skiing time, not to embarrass myself completely in front of you ))
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah yes!! My apologies. It would seem that both options of independent skiing / boarding and ski lessons are still available direct with UCPA. Even though website says from the 28th March, people can add on an extra night. May be as well to give the UCPA folks a ring or email. They do speak pretty good English.

Therefore plenty of space for more people to join us! Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PS, Mastin - Hope you enjoy 3 valleys. You'll have a head start on us!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Perhaps we should all wear a pink t-shirt! Laughing

I should arrive on sat at UCPA around 3:30. Rachel, as I understand it we get the kit sunday morning so an early start in bars then!! Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rachel wrote:
PS, Mastin - Hope you enjoy 3 valleys. You'll have a head start on us!

Rachel, 3 Valleys were awesome, views - spectacular, weather - brilliant. The downside is that I didn't take the sun creme, so my face is now pretty burned. And also, my knees are a bit in pain. But that will be ok soon. Smile
Honestly, the morning after a first day of skiing, I could hardly stand up (considering also long time in the bar with a great skiing company from Sheffield which I met there), I thought I won't go for the second day skiing. But I did. 3-rd day was surprisingly easier. Coach transfer feels better on the way back then there, as you're exhausted

There are some of my pics:

Brides-les-bains (tiny French town, 20 mins on gondola to Meribel)

Nice caffe (not the only one) to get some sunshine or have a lunch (pretty pricey though)

This is me Smile

One of the pistes:

Some really nice mounty landscapes:

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Mastin (what is the real name??)
Thanks for posting piccies. They look great! Am getting very excited now about trip..only 10 days to go! (well 9 for me really as leaving on the Fri!). Did you get any snow whilst you were out there? Looks like there is plenty of it still around, but seems like there has been a bit of a dry spell over in France for awhile now. Keep looking at the snow forecast, and some say there should be snow on Sunday, so fingers crossed!

How are the legs feeling now? I took plenty of Ibuprofen with me on the last trip. They were well used!

PS - Will certainly spot you from a mile off with the orange/green ensemble!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hehe, my real name is Alexander. I also look forward to this trip, I hope the nagging pain in my right knee stops by then. I can feel it when walking. I fell down only 2 times, but not at a big speed and there were pretty controlled falls because of fatigue. Very Happy Sometimes just didn't rest enough. But the knee could be in a slight pain because of my big ski break and intense skiing after that. Body should be in fit ))) I'm now going to buy knee braces to wear them always when skiing, they should provide considerable support and protection to knees. I'm not researching braces market, reviews and relevant information to get the most suitable ones.
Still, if I didn't go to 3 Valleys, I wouldn't survive 7 days in Chamonix )))

Weather: there wasn't snowing daytime (maybe at night?), perfectly clear sky and hot sun.
Only planes were drawing traces in the sky. Smile
Despite that, all the pistes were well prepared in the morning, most popular got icy by about 2.30
It was good to stop skiing at 4.30 - 5.00 as some pistes mostly were getting dark at that time -
sometimes difficult to see relief. I was living in Brides-les-bains, there wasn't any snow at all,
but it's normal for this village Smile

Burning the skin under the sun Smile))

Stop for a while to enjoy a breathtaking view...

Those who prefer keeping close together ))
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One week left go go, yeah!! Must admit i was starting to get a little concerned with the lack of snow there has been in Chamonix this month. Have become slightly obsessed with looking at the snow reports. However, looks like they're in store for some snow this weekend, and next week too! Yipee! Look at website:- http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Chamonix_snow.html

Fingers crossed!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Indeed, just wondering how I'm going to get double ski bag plus large suitcase from my flat to Victoria Coach Station using public transport at rush hour on a Friday Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sideshow_Bob, wow, that could be a challenge! rolling eyes

Rachel, the report looks very promising! Smile
snow conditions
Rachel wrote:
I took plenty of Ibuprofen with me on the last trip. They were well used!

Do you think it's safe to use?

I've got knee braces Mueller HG80 with kevlar, anybody knows if it's a good idea to
use them for support and protection while skiing? Had anyone experienced a slight pain in the knees only while walking fast after skiing? The pain started after 3 days of sking. It's still noticeable although a week after skiing has passed. It's not painful at all when knees are resting.
ski holidays
Are Ibuprofen safe? Yeah of course! They're a relatively mild pain killer which you can buy at the supermarket. I wouldn't suggest popping them like smarties but if you stick to the recommended dose (every 4 hours), then all's good.

Think it's quite normal to have a little soreness in knees and legs after skiing, especially if you've not done it for a little while. Have no idea about the knee braces. May be a good idea to post a new thread to ask people about them?

Sideshow Bob - See you at Victoria on Friday. Am NOT looking forward to sleeping on the bus. Oh, and please do excuse me if I snore Very Happy
latest report
Hi guys

I was going to try to make it along to this trip, but reluctantly decided to stay at home and revise for an exam instead. Have a great time though.

Main reason for this post was because someone had said ibuprofen every 4 hours was the regular dose, which worried me: normal is 400mg up to 3x a day (which I admit would equate to 200mg every 4 hours, but generally people take 400 and I wouldn't want to see anyone having side effects from taking too many!) But yes, as a general rule they're fine - take some paracetamol or co-codamol as well if they're not strong enough (I broke a couple of ribs and twisted my knee in Jan - knee not quite perfect yet, which was another factor in staying home)

Sorry, been working all night - will take the work hat off now and let you get back to being excited about the trip - have a fab time, and if someone could take a couple of blue runs for me (I've only done 1 week of boarding, and was injured for the second half of it!) that'd be great.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
Hi Rachel/Martin & Snowheads !!!

I will be skiing in Chamonix from 2nd - 6th April. Im up for meeting up Friday 2nd/Saturday 3rd night???.

Skiing, Im thinking of joining an off piste course for a day or two if anyone wants to join in, maybe share cost of a guide? Can be easy level or difficult, I dont mind really.

David.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy