Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who do you all book your holidays with?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I DIY because I enjoy the process, the 'thrill of the chase' of catching the cheap Easyjet flights when they're first released, emailing the little old ladies in my best pidgin French, etc. I also enjoy driving enough that I'd pick a hire car over a private transfer if the costs were identical. Am I unusual?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Caspar wrote:
Simple lesson from this is not to travel when I'm travelling wink

PS, off to Arabba soon (TO late deal), so watch out...

Toofy Grin

I got hit with weather delays about 20% of my trips (I've been doing 2-4 trips a season the last few years). Do enough trips in winter, the law of average will simply hit you.

Just don't travel when my mate is traveling. His homeward leg journey got delay for a day due to storm. Caught a bad cold in the mean time so couldn't fly for 2 days. By the time he was fit to fly home, another storm came and he got stuck for yet another 2 days!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DIY !!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I mostly use tour operators. Have used Crystal and Neilson quite a bit, never had any major problems. I also go with Mark Warner every year, I really like them and I enjoy the ski hosting and free-flowing wine with dinner! I either book low-season or last minute though as some of their brochure prices are pretty hefty.

I've been on organised DIY trips in the past too. It just depends what suits you and what you're prepared to pay.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have used Le Ski for the last two years. Can heartily recommend them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Definitley DIY.

For me it's all about being responsible for my own actions and making my own choices. It can be hard work but it can also be interesting to see exactly how much more skiing you can get done by playing around with different travel options both here in UK and in various destinations. Also just researching resort reviews on sites such as this can turn up interesting little bits of info which may sway your judgement when making that crucial choice, something perhaps a TO may have 'forgotten' to include in their resort description?

Not being part of a TO holiday lets you thoroughly research resorts yourself i.e. not just sit looking through brochures and trying to decipher just exactly what it is they are tying to sell you - because that is what its all about, bit of a game for them to maximise their profits and us to get best value.

Pays your money & takes your choice
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oldsnowy wrote:

Not being part of a TO holiday lets you thoroughly research resorts yourself

I'm not sure just how you believe that taking a TO holiday prevents you from doing that?

I've never had any interference from the TO when I have started doing so, nor any indication thta tey might try to prevent it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This argument about DIY giving you extra days skiing can be a bit misleading. I have done 2 TO trips this year with late flights (Soll and Bansko) and have been able to ski until 3 on my last day giving 6 and 3/4 days skiing for a 7 night stay. That said I also do DIY trips when it suits and the price is right.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This thread looks likt the right place to post a thankyou to Inghams for a great week in the 3V. Madeye-Smiley

We've done loads of TO and DIY trips, but Inghams seem to be consistently getting it right, and the fact that inghams clients get first dibs with the extra legroom seats on Monarch flights ( which is not something they advertise), is just a bit if icing on the cake. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Axsman, I have to agree. I have done a couple of TO trips over the last couple of years with Inghams both exeeded our expectations and were very good value.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
May aswell stick my 2p's worth in.

These days I exclusively drive and self cater. I did use TO's maybe 7/8 times in the early years. Some were better than others but I definitely had a few of the common problems (transfers, staff, other punters). Cost wise I got some great deals so can't say that's a clincher. No what swings a drive and s/c DIY holiday for me is

1) Guaranteed 8 days on the slopes
2) the only things that need booking are the channel crossing and the apartment.
3) Load the car at your front door. Drive. Unload at the other end.
4) It's all within your control. You have your own pad.

I am only 2-3 hours from Folkestone/Dover so can appreciate for those in the farther reaches of the UK that has implications. And I know some people like to be cooked for when on holiday. So again my way ain't gonna be suitable. But anyway, that's why it works for me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
just back with Alpine Tracks, catered chalet, stayed in Tignes Le Brevieres, got a last minute deal, the price included transfers from Geneva or Chambery, stayed in Bluetree 2, very spacious and modern, excelent food, three days ski hosting.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well I usually go DIY simply as I tend to go for short breaks rather than full weeks.

On the 10th I'm taking my first TO trip to La Plagne 1800 - flights, transfers and catered chalet for £319 pppw - quite decent flight times also - no getting a taxi to the airport at a stupid time. I don't think I can go far wrong at this price! (booked via Iglu Ski and going with Ski France).

Never been in a catered chalet before - I may come back and add to thread running in THE PISTE about chalet guests from hell!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Axsman wrote:
Inghams seem to be consistently getting it right

Can't disagree with that. Just back from Canada with them, and the whole deal went as smooth as it could have, unlike a friend who joined us out there with a different TO.

Thanked the Inghams rep on the pick up morning, she repiled she hadn't seen us. Just the way we like it. It they have a problem, they can contact us, if we have a problem..............

Even the slight misunderstanding prior to travel (online booking issue/overpayment) was settled promptly. Nice to come home to a cheque lying on the doormat. Every company has issues, it's how they deal with it that seperates the good from the bad.

And there was NO WAY I could have got close to the package price doing it DIY. No way. So worth putting up with the reps speech on the bus then.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy