Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Problem with Thermics

Poster: A snowHead
Last week I had a real problem with my Thermic boot heaters. Quite frequently I would feel my feet were too hot and when I checked the settings the sliding switch had moved over to 3, the highest setting, pre-heat position.

This has happened in the past but not enough to worry about. Last week it must have happened 2 or 3 times a day, very annoying. The only solution was to switch them off totally, the slider wouldn't move from off to on on its own, but would move from the 1 or 2 on positions to 3 IYSWIM.

The switch is quite stiff to get from off to on but then is quite loose between the three positions.

They are mounted on my boots at the back on the special Thermic mounts which are integral to the boots, so they are in the right position.

I don't know what to do with them, ideally for most times of cold weather I would want to put them on 1, leave them there and not have to mess with them, occasionally I need to set them to 2, rarely I set them to 3 for a few mins and then drop them down again. The OH suggested putting some tape on to physically stop the slider moving upwards but then this decreases the functionality if I do ever need to use the higher settings.

Anyone else experienced this? Any ideas? Thanks snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. Interesting. I can't offer any solutions but once or twice, when I've taken the boots off and wondered why they were on different settings when I thought I'd set them the same, I thought it was just me. Maybe they had moved themselves! One was on 3 one day, and run out of charge, and I didn't think I'd set it that high (not that it had made my feet too hot). I'll keep an eye on it when we go back to France in a week or so.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, if they slip to 3 they can actually burn your foot Shocked I know because last season during my numb feet/boot issues I set it to 3 to try to return feeling to my foot when I thought it was numb with cold, I didn't realise at the time that it was only recommended as a pre-heat setting prior to putting boots on, when I took my socks off I had a big red element shaped burn on the sole of my foot Skullie Fortunately now my nerve compression issues are resolved I can feel if my foot is burning. I agree with you too, the more they use the higher settings the more quickly they lose charge, which is annoying when you have tried to keep them on setting 1.

Obviously the best solution would be that upgraded version where the control dial is not on the boots but it's really expensive.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Duck Tape?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bertie bassett, I was going to suggest a bit of electrical insulation tape to stop the switch moving. Duct tape is a bit too wide for small jobs.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sarah, Shocked Shocked to hear you actually burnt your foot. I don't think mine get anything like hot enough to burn me - I do sometimes wonder if they're working properly.... I'm going to pay more attention to them when I go back.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett, DaddyLouLou, thanks guys but as I mentioned in my OP my hubby suggested this, I don't really want to tape the switch up as this then restricts the use. I am wondering if I have a faulty unit or if it is a design fault with the product. Thermic seem to moving over to these wireless controlled units now maybe this is why.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, yes it's true, fortunately the skin on the sole is quite thick and obviously socks were in between so it didn't really cause a problem, it was a very visible red element-shaped mark though and felt hot for a few days. I agree with you, sometimes I can't tell if they're working properly on setting 1, but when I put them up to 3 I now know about it Laughing I am tempted to try these Lionpack new ones as the concept is really good, the price is not so good though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah, Write to the manufacturer? If it slips over to a setting high enough to burn your foot - I would have thought they'd be exceptionally keen to assist if it meant avoiding a law suit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My wife has the same problem. I think they get knocked on the lifts.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, they get knocked on the lifts so that's something to try & avoid by keeping your feet out in front of you when you sit down. A customer of mine had this problem so I put a little blob of Araldite on the housing next to the switch so it can't be slid across higher then the 1 setting.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've not had a problem with mine yet............will let you know if I do though!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Schuss in Boots, I was thinking to do this, I will now especially as now I know this happens to at least 3 other people on here.
ringingmaster, Thanks for saying so, yes could be lifts.
spyderjon, great idea, at least they can't inadvertently be set too high but then if you want the other settings you can't use them. Some kind of flip over cover would be a good idea.
alexchapman, forewarned is forearmed wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah, I had a similar problem when I had them at the back of the boot. I now hook mine round the velcro strap at the front of the boot which seems to avoid the problem.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bobinch, thanks, not sure if I have enough slack on the wires to move them to the front and given the boots have a Thermic mount on the back then one would assume they should be ok when mounted there. I will contact the manufacturers.
snow report
sarah, On mine the wires are only attached where they come out of the hole in the inner boot. So if you loosen all the clips (or if necessary remove your inner boot) you can move them round to wherever you want them.
latest report
Having them on the front would also help prevent impact damage from lifts. I lost one of my old battery packs completely - almost certainly a lift impact. And my OH had a bash hard enough to break the carbon fibre rod of his mojo. Painful. Confused I now have a sort of safety lanyard on mine - bit of a lash up.
snow report
sarah, all the users I know never have them set higher than 1.
snow conditions
bobinch, yes that would work I think.

pam w, it would, but then why do they put the mounts on the back, I think there is a design issue with it.

spyderjon, I have dodgy feet Laughing TBH most of the time they are at 1, sometimes I need the other settings for a short time to thaw if it is particularly cold.
snow report
spyderjon,
Quote:

all the users I know never have them set higher than 1.

My OH occasionally winds them up to 2 if she gets really cold but I agree generally on 1. She's commented before that on 3 they feel like her feet are on fire.

But she does really feel the cold!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy