Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To the Skiboard Haters

Poster: A snowHead
I have mentioned that skiboarding can sometimes be more similar in ride to an inline skating type of feel than to a skiing type of feel. This is true. An inherent advantage of skiboards is that they "can" be ridden like skis ... or ... not.

You can call it whatever you want ... compare it to pro level inline and say it sucks ... compare it to pro level skiing and say it sucks. Whatever. It opens up doors for riding possibilities that are not practical on longer skis. This is why many people enjoy skiboards or inline skis, or snowblades, or skiblades... whatever you want to choose to call them ... more than long skis.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
comprex wrote:
skiboard316 wrote:

You look at it and see "lame". I look at it and see the potential for tons of fun. To each his own.

The first vid clip I linked looks to be 60-75 cm.

They are 90 cm.

They are also reverse cambered, reverse sidecut, and manufactured with deliberately un-flat bases.

Whatever they are ... they look like fun to me.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skiboard316 wrote:
It opens up doors for riding possibilities .

http://youtube.com/v/J-KV5yB-Ogw
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skiboard316 wrote:

Great! I've got 2 NOS unmounted pairs for sale, would you like powder blue or original black?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
skiboard316, you seem keen to challenge other people in this thread to post video of their skiing, suggesting if they're not very good themselves they're not really worthy of having an opinion. Wouldyou care to lead by example and post some video of you skiing or skiboarding? It's not important to me to see you ski, but it might give you a bit more credibility when you challenge other people's abilities.

I am not the one criticising someone's technique or lack thereof. I'm not the one saying your equipment is rubbish. I am not the one who doesn't ski ... trying to tell someone who does what is wrong with their sport, their peers or their choice of equipment. Have I bagged on skiing once in this entire thread? Have I bagged on snowboarding once in this entire thread? No, I have not.

You are the one who admits you've never been on skiboards. But you say you've been on short skis, say they are the same thing, so you are qualified to be a critic. OK ... if you say so.

What I challenge is this: If you are so competent and confident in your technical ability or your knowledge and ability to apply sound mechanics, strap on a good set of skiboards and do what the people in the vid clips are doing ... and do it better than they do.

It is a lot easier to try to be a judge than to do it yourself.

Sorry if I don't put much value on people who have not actually been there and done that. But, it is common arrogance I see all the time: people who have no idea what it is like to be an NFL quarterback but because they played some football in grade school, they can berate the tv and give detailed technical explanations of poor mechanics when their favorite QB throws a game ending interception.

Everyone wants to think they know something about everything even if they know nothing about something.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skiboard316, so you're not going to post some video then? Maybe time to stop challenging other people's abilities and just base the discussion on first principles about how to use the kit?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex wrote:
skiboard316 wrote:

Great! I've got 2 NOS unmounted pairs for sale, would you like powder blue or original black?

I'd actually seriously consider taking you up on the offer? Are you in UK though? Shipping costs might be more than the equpment.

Cost? Binding set-up? Got pics you can email me?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
skiboard316, so you're not going to post some video then? Maybe time to stop challenging other people's abilities and just base the discussion on first principles about how to use the kit?

Again, I have never claimed to be of superior technical proficiency or skill. I think i've made it pretty clear, I cannot do what most of the people in those vid clips are doing and am a relative beginner.

But, if you think it will serve some purpose, I will have some vids I can post after next week. Have an entire week of riding coming up that will include some back-country, some trees, plenty of groomers.

I really don't know what good it will do you to see me riding other than to give you opportunity to make some comments about how badly I suck ... but since I have no ego to protect ... sure ... why not?

Even better.

I'll demo some skis for a day and post up some footage of that to give you plenty of fodder for ripping on me. In return, you put on a pair of 100 cm skiboards for a day, try to replicate the conditions and riding done in all the vid clips I posted.

Fair is fair.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 24-02-10 22:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skiboard316, I was kind of hoping that you would stop making the debate personal by asking how well other people ski rather than engaging with what they are actually saying. But if you're not going to do that at least posting some video of your skiing will enable other people to see where you're coming from.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
skiboard316, I was kind of hoping that you would stop making the debate personal by asking how well other people ski rather than engaging with what they are actually saying. But if you're not going to do that at least posting some video of your skiing will enable other people to see where you're coming from.

See above ... I added a bit to my last post.

If you are game for this bargain, I am.

And besides ... I have not been the one making this personal. I'm not the one saying skiing sucks, skiers suck.

I don't care how well you ski or how well anyone else skis. There are people of all different abilities up on the mountain every day. If they are having fun and not hurting anyone, I don't care one bit what their technical ability is.

However, if you are going to be a critic of people who ride skiboards ... walk in the shoes first.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skiboard316, rolling eyes

You opened this thread by giving some examples of good skiboard riding. I didn't think they were good examples of skiboard riding and I explained why. Your response was not to enter a discussion about what makes good technique (for skiing or skiboarding, which are essentially the same thing IMO), but to accuse me and others of being armchair quarterbacks; say we've never walked the walk; and despite your protestations that you're not making this personal anytime someone says something you disagree with you challenge them to demonstrate their skiing abilities. And if all else fails you take refuge in "well, I don't care about technique I'm only interested in having fun" as if those two things are mutually exclusive!

I have no interest in seeing you ski and I certainly don't want to make this a discussion based on who is the better skier. I won't get into a pissing contest by posting my videos against yours. My skiing is assessed formally and informally, by examiners and by clients all season long. If other people want to weigh up the "legitimacy" of what is contributed to this thread I think it should be done on the basis of a reasonable and non-personal discussion about skiing, not the perceived abilities of the people who are contributing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not going to lie - I kinda want to see skiboard316 skiboard. Sorry rob@rar, not so fussed about your skiing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
arv wrote:
Sorry rob@rar, not so fussed about your skiing Laughing
That's OK, it's not that special Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
arv wrote:
Sorry rob@rar, not so fussed about your skiing Laughing
That's OK, it's not that special Smile

You could post the crash compilation video wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skiboard316 wrote:

I'd actually seriously consider taking you up on the offer? Are you in UK though?

US, no bindings, never been drilled, pics already posted above^ (blue pair is plain blue, the logo fell off over the years); you will need 77mm wide binding brakes if you choose to use release bindings.

Make me an offer, one pair or both (you may want both, just for the ski-dance vibe)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 24-02-10 23:25; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
Only just read this thread. It's so sweet.

skiboard316 you should become friends with TomFromAustria.

Fair play to you for sticking to your guns, but seriously, what you do is GAY. Stop it.
ski holidays
Spyderman, just for you Wink

ski holidays
arv wrote:
Not going to lie - I kinda want to see skiboard316 skiboard. Sorry rob@rar, not so fussed about your skiing Laughing

I don't want to see rob@rar ski either. I wanna see him on 100 cm skiboards in powder, chop, going off jumps, carving, spinning, jumping, grinding, etc, etc.
ski holidays
skiboard316 wrote:
I don't want to see rob@rar ski either. I wanna see him on 100 cm skiboards in powder, chop, going off jumps, carving, spinning, jumping, grinding, etc, etc.

There you go again. What would that prove?
snow report
skiboard316, do you have any Erasure records I could borrow?
latest report
rob@rar wrote:

... you challenge them to demonstrate their skiing abilities. .

I've never asked you to demonstrate your skiing abilities. Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

I've asked that you demonstrate better technique on skiboards if you are going to be such a critic of the equipment and the riders.

If you cannot or won't do that, then you make my case for me.

You could post up vid all day long of pro level riders killing it on the slopes. The problem with that is that none of us are pro level riders. I am not concerned with what pro level riders do and how well they do it. I'm concerned with what I can do as a recreational rider and the equipment that I chose to do it on.

It's like trying to tell someone whos getting into fitness that they need to eat 200 grams of protien a day and do sets of massive weight at 3 - 5 repitions ... ensuring they break parrallel on their squats so they are ready for the big powerelifting meet. Not every fitness buff wants to be a bodybuilder or powerlifter. Three-quarter squats work just fine for general conditioning. Not everyone wants 20 inch biceps. Most will be perfectly content to be active, prevent injury, and improve general fitness.

You may not be satisfied with what the riders in the vids are doing. I am. If I can ride that well in all those conditions, I will be perfectly content. So would pretty much every recreational skier and skiboarder I know and ride with. (though none of us will probably ever be trying to huck air like the freestylers).
snow report
rob@rar wrote:

If other people want to weigh up the "legitimacy" of what is contributed to this thread I think it should be done on the basis of a reasonable and non-personal discussion about skiing, not the perceived abilities of the people who are contributing.

That's a nice cop -out.

Post a request and a challenge to me ... get a counter-offer ... then decline because the fair trade just doesn't work for you. I like the tactic. Smooth as butta.

rolling eyes

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 25-02-10 0:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
skiboard316 wrote:
I've never asked you to demonstrate your skiing abilities.
[pointless personal jibe deleted]
I've asked that you demonstrate better technique on skiboards

You clearly can't see the irony is those two statements.

If you think I don't have the technical ability to provide a commentary on those videos please correct what I've written about them rather than make pointless requests to see me ski.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:

If you think I don't have the technical ability to provide a commentary on those videos

"There goes Errol Flynn and the brother of Mario Matt." Laughing
snow conditions
Spyderman, Laughing At least he didn't say Errol Flynn and SuperMario.
latest report
skiboard316, give me a shout over PM if you want them; shipping from 22202 shouldn't be horrible.
snow report
rob@rar, you're being pretty effectively trolled, just fwiw...
snow report
skiboard316, try this on your snowlerblades:

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yo, parlor!

Quit queering my sale, eh?

wink Toofy Grin
snow report
parlor, I think he already suggested that he didn't want to. And judging someone's sexuality on the basis of they like to attach to their feet is frankly infantile. rolling eyes
latest report
[/img]
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
rayscoops, Voyager had a cook.

but where do you think the ingredients came from in hyper-space wink I am the chef and guest, my board is the replicator Very Happy
ski holidays
Ah, this has to be one of my favourite threads at the moment - sets me up well for the rest of the day with a good giggle! Very Happy
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:
clarky999, so when you say skiboards are crap at all things (except for messing around with the kids maybe), then evidently skinnies/fats are crap at certain things too, so a similar if not watered down argument likewise exists
Crap's a stronger word than I would use, but in essence, yeah! Apart from they both have things they're actually good at too!

there is a teensy weensy bit of - (can not telemark so I will ski wink ), can not ski powder so I will get the latest and best powder ski, can not carve so I will get the latest and best carving skis, can not ski tricks so I will get the latest and best twin tips, can not ski long skis so I will get shorter ones ............. can not ski so I will get skiboards ..... can not skiboard so I will learn to board - err not Very Happy

Doesn't all seem too different to me Cool

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 25-02-10 9:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'm running out of popcorn Toofy Grin
snow report
skiboard316 wrote:
Three-quarter squats work just fine for general conditioning..

They are lady-exercises.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:
clarky999, so when you say skiboards are crap at all things (except for messing around with the kids maybe), then evidently skinnies/fats are crap at certain things too, so a similar if not watered down argument likewise exists
Crap's a stronger word than I would use, but in essence, yeah! Apart from they both have things they're actually good at too!

there is a teensy weensy bit of - (can not telemark so I will ski wink ), can not ski powder so I will get the latest and best powder ski, can not carve so I will get the latest and best carving skis, can not ski tricks so I will get the latest and best twin tips, can not ski long skis so I will get shorter ones ............. can not ski so I will get skiboards ..... can not skiboard so I will learn to board - err not Very Happy

Doesn't all seem too different to me Cool

Not at all, I can ski anyhting that I would ski on any of my skis, just I prefer to use the best tool for the job when I have the option. You can either use a hammer or a screwdriver to put a screw into some wood, but which is going to do it better and smoother?

Although I do wish I could telemark - when I have some spare cash I'm defo gonna give it a go!
snow conditions
clarky999, I do not mean you specifically - anyone who can ski boot/knee deep powder on their piste skis has my respect and has earned the right to pull the fatties out of their quiver; I mean those who buy a specific ski for specific conditions rather than learning and being able to ski in any conditions on their main 'bread and butter' ski that they mainly use.
latest report
My everyday telemark ski was 112mm underfoot. I fixed the heal, fixed the problem. Now that was a fashion statement.
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
clarky999, I do not mean you specifically - anyone who can ski boot/knee deep powder on their piste skis has my respect and has earned the right to pull the fatties out of their quiver; I mean those who buy a specific ski for specific conditions rather than learning and being able to ski in any conditions on their main 'bread and butter' ski that they mainly use.

I'd agree if someone was using a wide ski to learm piste skiing however ....
first time I tried to ski powder was on a pair of Bandits XX'S ca 74mm wide. I was falling over all the time and not getting anywhere. A pair of pocket rockets helped me to get started. My main ski now is a touring ski with a 76mm waist.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy