Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back protectors on downhillers

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from Sweden where I noticed a significant number of skiers wearing back-protectors. I understand boarders using body armour 'cos they seem to spend so much time crashed, crashing or getting up from a crash Toofy Grin

I am guessing snowheads will have a view - is this a bit of kit I should consider for me and mine?

BTW Notable that fewer Scandanavians wear helmets compared to our Christmas experience in the Dolomites where I would say 80 -90% of those on the pistes had a lid (No, I do not want to reopen this thread) Embarassed Just an observation.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, do you feel your back is in danger? If yes, weigh up the pros/cons, if not, don't. Simples.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
outside of the park, I don't see the point much.
But I am sure someone will come up with that freak accident where he/she/the neighnbour's dog would have been sliced in two katana stylee if it wasn't for the back protector...

What clarky999 says..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As I set off every day to ski off piste I always wear a backpack so the backpack itself can provide back protection in the event of an awkward fall. It may not be as efficient as body armour but I feel it will be more than sufficient in most cases.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kruisler, didn't Debbiedoesnow have a mate who was sliced in half (exposed spinal column) on a piste in Tignes by a boarder Little Angel wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ian Kenvyn, do you frequently ski slopes where there are lot of exposed rocks or pointy stuff that's just under the surface of the snow (ie, off-piste runs in rocky terrain)? I've never felt like I was in particular danger of hurting my back (unlike my head which has taken a few hard knocks from time to time). I broke a rib and tore some muscles last month after a high speed crash on piste which involved a bit of air, but I don't think that a back protector would have made any difference to those injuries.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kruisler, Funny Story Got Creamed one year while wearing one and guess what..... the Bastward managed to get his pole underneath it and straight into the base of my back

Was glad I was wearing it at the time to be honest but the reason i wear it is for Trees and Park more than anything. Like Helmets I guess its a personal choice.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wear one every time i go out on the board. Its a motorbiking one by Alpinestars. I primarily bought it for wearing under my motorbike leathers when out on the bike, but I figure why not wear it when out on the slopes (on piste or off)? I think it is pretty unlikely it will ever be called into use, but if it ever is, i'll be glad of it.

Also, seeing how i'm a boarder, it's nice and insulating for slouching in the snow.

For what it's worth therefore, I think you should wear one.

Unless you don't want to.

It's a bit like the skid lid debate. I hated them until i got one, now i really like them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kruisler, so other hard objects not found in parks like trees rocks and ice chunks are less dangerous for your back?

richjp, I would say the opposite, my back pack has hard things in it like a shovel and probe. I dont particularly want to use those to cushion my fall. Or my lunch for that matter!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is this the new "helmet" thread?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Liveezy wrote:
Kruisler, so other hard objects not found in parks like trees rocks and ice chunks are less dangerous for your back?

richjp, I would say the opposite, my back pack has hard things in it like a shovel and probe. I dont particularly want to use those to cushion my fall. Or my lunch for that matter!!

So has mine but with the pack itself and a spare layer inside it's actually sort of "squidgy".
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
If yes, weigh up the pros/cons, if not, don't. Simples.

So what's the "con"?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc, Comfort, or lack thereof. Expense of buying one.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney wrote:
abc, Comfort, or lack thereof. Expense of buying one.

Comfort is probably a combination of personal + specific model issue. I would imagine majority of people can find a model that are "comfortable" to wear.

I still don't wear one. But...

After losing an arguement with a tree, cracking my ribs ON THE BACKSIDE, I have a different appreciation for a back protector.

It happened on the first day of a one week vacation!

Had I got a back protector, and hypothetically speaking it cushioned the impact enough to have prevented the rib injury, I would have enjoyed the holiday a lot more. Consider the cost of the holiday (and the lose of income during the week while I was planning to "have fun"), the cost of the back protector would have been rather insignificant.

Fortunately, it was the last trip of the season so the injury didn't affect any other holidays. But I now think of back protector more like releasable bindings. While a broken leg isn't life threatoning as brain demage, it's inconvenient enough that I'd rather pay a little extra to reduce the chance of it happening.

Granted, most punters don't ski amoung dense trees. But I did occasionally heard of people being crashed into from behind...

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 22-02-10 23:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ian Kenvyn, I wear one when not wearing my backpack which has one built in. In the park they are great protection and in the off piste they can really help sometimes. At the end of the day it is a personal thing, but for me well worth the cost.
ski holidays
Ian Kenvyn wrote:
I am guessing snowheads will have a view
Nah, I wouldn't have thought so.
ski holidays
Guys in back protectors always remind me of him rolling eyes.
snow report
What is the weight of these things?
latest report
abc wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
If yes, weigh up the pros/cons, if not, don't. Simples.

So what's the "con"?

Cost, comformt, sweatieness off the top of my head, can't really be bothered to think beyond that atm. For me, I've never really felt my back to be that exposed, so I don't feel it's worth it for me, even offpiste. If I was a park rat pulling inverts all day I may think otherwise.
ski holidays
After hubby was hit hard from behind last year and got a broken neck, he got a back protector to cushion the impact if it should happen again, and to protect the injury as we went skiing again right at the end of the season. He didn't wear it at New Year, but that was because he left it at home. achilles, Julesb's is very light, and he will be wearing it when we go again in March.
ski holidays
Just another bit of kit to ram in to an already full and expensive ski baggage allowance. Off piste (I assume wink ) you have a back pack on, on the piste you do not need one unless you have a dodgy back perhaps, in the park you might need one; so can not see the point of one unless you are getting some biggish air.

But, like a helmet it could save your life in a collision Little Angel
ski holidays
rayscoops, luggage allowance not normally a problem for us , we carried it to eosb and we flew ryanair. Kit is normally at our apartment though.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, well yes if your drive or pay for lots of bags at £40 a pop on RyanTurpinAir wink
snow conditions
I wear Dainense HPC body armour from time to time. This is really motorcycle kit but I ride too so it makes it useful for the Summer. It's got a detachable back protector and assorted shoulder, elbow and chest pads held in a mesh. I originally bought it for race training but now wear it if the resort is busy, or if I'm skiing off-piste.

It replaces a layer under my hoody and is pretty comfortable. The only slight issue is that my transceiver is slightly more uncomfortable over it.

Recommended.
ski holidays
Liveezy wrote:

If you ski where there are trees, rocks, ice chunks you're unlikely to be on piste... from the tone of the OP, I assumed he was talking about the vast majority of leisure skiers plying their trade on pistes.

Back in the early 90's, skiing in the pyrenees, one of my mates was having a few falls and kept messing us about after each one, exagerating his pain for a laugh. Then once, just as he was setting off he had a really innocuous fall (like that downhill french skier last week)
He started complaining and we laughed him off thinking he was up to the usual trick. Then we realised his tome was different. We climbed back up to him, his skis/poles were somehow tangles, and we moved him... blood everywhere underneath him...a lot of it!!
We called the pisteurs pronto. One of his skis had managed to slice on of his calves really bad. Big blood loss, helicopter rescue to the nearest Hospital...

Shall we all start wearing shin pads/leg armor?
You can't prevent everything so not point trying..

My point was, to repeast myself:

Kruisler wrote:
What clarky999 says..

i.e.:

clarky999 wrote:
Well, do you feel your back is in danger? If yes, weigh up the pros/cons, if not, don't. Simples.
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
Kruisler, didn't Debbiedoesnow have a mate who was sliced in half (exposed spinal column) on a piste in Tignes by a boarder Little Angel wink

Laughing

I knew my imagination wasn't that creative!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 23-02-10 12:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rayscoops, we had one bag each.
snow report
Yes. I started wearing one a few seasons ago after witnessing an instructor friend getting a fairly bad clout to the back after a pretty insignificant fall on an easy bit of off piste between pistes (hidden rock). Even if you don't do any off piste there are obstacles on the piste (even rocks! I always remove them when spotted) which a back protector will protect against. And it keeps me warm!

You don't notice it when wearing so I can't really think of a reason not to wear one?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, I normally travel with just my board bag, and no other hold luggage, so carrying such an piece of plastic would be a pain, likewise I ditched the helmet a few years ago for the same reason Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops, NO NO NO NO, please don't mention the "H" word Shocked
ski holidays
rayscoops, this one isn't plastic, but I have no opinions as to whather someone without existing spinal problems should use one or not. JUlesB didn't before his accident, and I still don't. I don't think he would wear the turtle shell type either. http://www.slytechprotection.com/products/slytech-2nd-skin/back-protector/
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, still looks like a big chunk of something to carry and wear, plus with a backpack you would look like the hunch back of Notredame wink Of course no point wearing one of those and leaving your head exposed, so you would have to wear a helmet too Laughing I have had spinal surgery recently and could still not be @rsed with all that mullarkey ! Each to their own though Very Happy
ski holidays
rayscoops, it weighs about the same a a piece of polystyrene and you can't tell he is wearing it under his jacket. He does wear a helmet. As you say each to their own.
latest report
Quote:

You can't prevent everything so not point trying..

Love to see that statement, would be priceless in a helmet thread!
snow conditions
Ian Kenvyn, do you ski on crowded pistes or in places where there may be idiots who don't care about the safety of others? I never considered back protection until I was hit hard from behind by a snowboarding teenager while minding my own business on the edge of the piste.

I now make a point of aggressively verbally abusing anyone who seriously threatens my safety. If they think there's a chance they're going to get whacked by a mad Englishman they might think twice about skiing like that around other people in future.

I wear a lumbar protector and impact shorts, but I have an existing lower back injury and not enough muscle/fat to protect me if I fall:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1472601
snow report
Anyone tried the Salomon Jacket with the built in protector ?
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code_in=302900 Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy