Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Differing Bootfitters opinions - who should I trust?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've had a pair of boots for a few months that were badly fitted so am having another go at getting the right sizing in boots.
Last time I went skiing my feet after a weeks hard skiing looked battered and both big toe toe nails were black! Shocked
I had skied the boots 13 full days in total.
The boots went back and am trying again.
Having drawn round my feet and then measured length and width I have length of 26.8cm and width of 10.2cm when stood on foot weighted.
I also have a very pronounced arch in both feet.
Two boot fitters I have visited have differed in what they reckon my size should be.
Bootfitter one reckons a size 26.5. Bootfitter two having seen my liners from previous boot with my foot inside and big toes just touching the end (size 26.5) reckons size needs to be bigger.
Bootfitter one did the fit in my liner socks and says this the best way.
Bootfitter two had me put on a ski tech sock with padded areas and reckons I should have a small clearence at end of liner or my toes will get sore after prolonged skiing.
Both bootfitters know each others outfit and correspondingly reckon each other doesn't know what they're doing.
Would be most grateful if anyone can help me with who I should believe is correct.

RR snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Who fitted the original boots?

Go back to them and complain. If they are any good they'll sort you out - even if it means them standing the cost of a new pair. They've done a cr*p job in the first place, and they should pay for it to be fixed, not you. If they refuse, and you paid with a Credit Card, then the card company are jointly liable, contact them and insist you get what you've paid for: boots that *fit*.

The missus had problems with her last pair of new boots. Went back to the shop and their top boot fitting guy agreed that she'd been fitted with the wrong size boot, so they upped it half a size, and now she doesn't even undo her boots at lunchtime - unheard of in the past: the boots always came off!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If your nail's black it's quite possible you needed to clip them before skiing; from the infomation you give there's no reason not to think that's the case.

As for sizes, between different manufacturers I'd not be surprised, my Atomics are an apparently large size than my Salomons.

Most bootfitters in the UK, in my opinion, are about as competent as the the average "techie" from PC World Very Happy Many in the Alpes aren't a lot better.

If you genuinely have pronounced arches then you have feet that differ significantly from the norm' and need to use someone like profeet, if you're able to walk vigourously without arch support in normal shoes or walking shoes then you do not have significantly high arches and your feet are basically normal in shape.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Black nails, from my experience, have occured when i was in skis that were too fast, so, I ended up lifting my toes to try to control the skis.
Now, it's not helped by having boots that are too stiff to be flex properly.

Did either fitter take the liner out of the shell, and have you stand in the boot shell, bare feet, no socks?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ise wrote:
Most bootfitters in the UK, in my opinion, are about as competent as the the average "techie" from PC World Very Happy Many in the Alpes aren't a lot better.

Ise, I totally agree.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
ise wrote:

Ise, I totally agree.

Yes, and they get away with it because the average Brit punter prefers to believe there's a problem with their kit rather than their technique. For myself, my kit is the peak of engineering, any deficiences are just down to me Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies guys Smile

RobW, I would name the original fitter but I don't want to burn any bridges as it was a young lad that fitted me last time. I've returned the boots and am currently holding a credit note till the next fitting session. This time the Manager has fitted me and so far appears things are going a lot better. Now the problem is getting the boots as they only had the one display that fitted me right (Nordica Beast 8 or 10's IIRC) the other boot had found its way to another shop! I'm awaiting them tracking it down.

ise, Your spot on with the nail clipping. I left my toe nail slightly long so that it was just below level with the end of my toe in the hope it protected the skin on the ends of my big toes from getting sore. It saved my toes skin but the nails got a right hammering as my feet are not the usual sides pointing in like a lot of people have who have grown up in bad fitting shoes. In particular my big toes go straight out and are not twisted in at all.
My arches are very pronounced as when I had the original fitting I was getting cramps in the outside edge of my feet. I was tolod this was because of the arches not bearing enough downward thrust from my weight. One pair of conformable foot beds later and the cramps were gone with my arches supported.
The original XWave's had the front outside corners of my toes rubbing up against the liner. Once I skied the boots for a while on some rough terrain these areas took a right hammering for which I was told at the time was caused by my boots not fitting me properly Crying or Very sad

Only thing that has me worried and i'm going to whip out the liner in the Beasts next time I go for my fitting is, should there be a small clearence between my toe end and the end of liner? I'm really worried i'm going to end up with another pair of toe batterers Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rockyrobin wrote:
My arches are very pronounced as when I had the original fitting I was getting cramps in the outside edge of my feet. I was tolod this was because of the arches not bearing enough downward thrust from my weight. One pair of conformable foot beds later and the cramps were gone with my arches supported.

That sound like nonsense to me and whoever told you has a basic lack of understanding of some fairly basic mechanics. The way loading works when the arches are needing support will increases stresses above the arches back towards the achilles area. Like I said, you can easily test this, if you can walk at any reasonable pace, especially up a hill, in your normal shoes/walking shoes without pain and without arch support then you do not have pronounced arches.

However, you've mentioned Xwave, I've some Xwaves and the flaw with them for me is the stunningly high internal footbed, I've chucked mine away and hacked some from an older pair into place. I had some pressure points around the outside of the instep prior to doing this and that's 100% certainly not due to arch support issues; I do genuinely have pronounced arches and have perfect supports for them, that's just not where you going to feel the pressue.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise, I think your probably right, thanks for the insight Smile
When I mentioned the footbeds the guy had a looksee at them. I thought I could just swap them over to the Nordica's but when I asked about this was told that they would rather do a new set for me. Makes me wonder if the original fitter over exagerated the arch support and had made my foot try to fall forward in the boot everytime I tried to ride the balls of my feet while carving. Like you say - I can walk ok in my walking boots with no arch supports fitted so the original fit must have just been wrong and caused the cramps in the first place.
When I was trying to figure out the reason for my toes getting hammered I too noticed what you did with the high footbed positioning.
I even had the idea of getting the blue plastic footbed platform onto a belt sander and taking it down at the front a little but I'm glad I didn't now or I would have been stuck with them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you have heat remouldable footbeds they should be able to reheat your existing ones and rework them rather than sell you a new set.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gregh, I didn't realise you could remould the conformable footbeds.
Not to worry though as they have already credited me the cost of the footbeds so when they redo them I won't loose out financially Smile
Only thing i'm annoyed about though is the inconvenience caused and the loss of what looks like the end of the season for Scotland looking at the Thaw thats coming Sad

Only thing i'm still unsure of is how much room there should be at the end of the liner when my foots inside out of shell.
If anyone can let me know how their liner fits compared to their foot inside be grateful for the info.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rockyrobin, I can feel the threads at the front of the liners with my toes. I get no black toes.

I suspect that this is because my midfoot area is supported properly and there is no chance whatsoever of my being able to slam my toes forward in the shell with any portion of my entire body weight.

I could be wrong.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, Thanks for the info on your liner fit.
Sounds like the liner should act almost like a sock without gripping your foot.
Your analogy of foot slamming back and forward makes sense.
Guess a long discussion with boot fitter next week before commencing boot fit will be in order before commiting myself again. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin, did you notice WTFH's remark about having your balance too far back?

Quote:
, have occured when i was in skis that were too fast, so, I ended up lifting my toes to try to control the skis.
Now, it's not helped by having boots that are too stiff to be flex properly.

If you consider the upper rear boot cuff as the pivot point of the lever, weight goes back-> toes get jammed forward. It doesn't matter how much room there is in front of them, though, of course, a larger shell may make the sliding easier.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, Thanks for the heads up on WTFH's comments. Somehow I managed to skim them Embarassed

Wear The Fox Hat, I don't know if my ski's are too fast Puzzled They're Atomic M9's, 157cm long, 11m turn radius with binding set at 5.25. I weigh 140 lb's and am 5'11" tall.
Have skied since I was about 12, am 32 now and would put myself on the slush and rubble ski index at 6 out of 10. I am a timid skier in trying to make sure no harm comes to myself. I can ski fast, carve no problem keeping weight over front of ski's and manage all the red runs I have tried to date no problem, but when they get steep I will slow things down really cranking up the turns across the piste going back to my old skidder stylee skills of my youth till I feel comfortable again. This is probably where i'm sitting back when I shouldn't Sad
I think it may be this and the bad boots that got my toes the good hammering.
When I get my boots back i'm going to look at getting some lessons on brushing some technique into my skiing Laughing and how to go about steeps with confidence.
Quote:
Did either fitter take the liner out of the shell, and have you stand in the boot shell, bare feet, no socks?

The original bootfitter that is supposed to be replacing my boots next week did not.
The one I went to for a second opinion did take the shells out, popped a pair of padded ski socks on my foot and popped the liner on. He then said it was too small with my toe just touching the end and corner.
I'm currently very confused as to which bootfitter to trust as if push comes to shove i'll use the credit note at the original shop for something else.
Only thing i'm worried about though is getting boots that are too big. I know from my younger years in hire boots just how painful that can be too Sad
I'm currently looking on the net on info on how to fit the boot myself while watching the fitter so as to be able to put the brakes on proceedings if I feel things are going in the wrong direction. To date i'm not finding much. Guess the bootfitting trade wants to keep the info close to their chest or i'm just hopeless with my g@@gle fu Embarassed
snow conditions
So, what sort of boots do you have?

OK, a good bootfitter should have you standing in the shells, no liner. Then checking to see the gap at your heel. If they are just getting you to stand in the LINER, then get a new bootfitter!

When standing in the shell, if you can't get one finger behind your heel, then it's too small. If you can get two fingers in easily, then it's too big.
(this is a rough estimation, and is only a quick check to get the shell size right)
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, The boots I had and returned were Salomon XWave 8's.
The pair i'm looking at getting fitted to replace are Nordica Beast 8's.
I'm wondering if my problem may be that these boots probably are ok for my ability if I weighed 12 stone, but being a lightweight I do wonder if a slightly lesser rated boot may be the order of the day, or at least one with flex adjustment to play with?
Originally when I bought the ski's I was told first that a 164 in the Metron M9 would be my ideal size. When I told them my stats they quickly backtracked on that saying I could get away with a 150 at a pinch, but felt the 157 would the best compromise. Could it be i'm in the same boat with my boots too?
latest report
rockyrobin, you have hit the nail on the head!
Make sure you go for a boot you can flex well. Otherwise, you'll get black toes every time.

Where are you located? What ski shops can you get to?
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Hehe, now were getting somewhere snowHead Thanks Smile
I live near Leeds and there's not a massive choice of shops round here that I know of. All the local big names I have already visited and do feel that they are railiroading customers through the fitting process as the que and lack of staff to do the job makes life difficult for them. If only they did a "by appointment only".
The last shop I got my boots from meant me doing a 60 mile round trip each visit, whereas the other I visited for a second opinion is only 3 miles away and feels more like a small family run business than one of the big guns.
I'm very tempted to just go to the local one so that I can make a real nuisance of myself being so close till the boots are spot on.
Do you reckon printing this thread out and taking it with me and making them read it before commencement may be of some help? Laughing
ski holidays
Not sure about that, robin. They might read my name, and reply "Who the fox hat?"
latest report
Hehe, they'd probably think they've got a "right one here" in me as a customer Laughing
I've just been looking at the flex index for XWave 8's - 8.5!
No wonder I was suffering in light of what you guys have said.
WTF did the fitter not ask me my weight etc. All they wanted to know was my ability. Not impressed.
I've just been looking at Technica boots and they do a nice looking boot with a flex index of 6.5 called the Rival X8.
Are the flex indexes for each manufacturer remotely comparable?
Just trying to get some ideas together before hitting the shops again so I can try and prevent myself from being railroaded again.
latest report
rockyrobin, no, flex indices aren't to any standard. The Rival X8 is a very nice boot. Best thing to do is try as many boots as possible, different brands, different models, and once you get the one with the best fit, that you can flex, then that's the one
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Thanks. Will be in their door first thing tomorrow morning to try on as many wares as possibloe snowHead
I've already lost a week of sliding due to the state of my toes. Tomorrow's going to be a chore as I want to be sliding not nursing my toes Crying or Very sad
We've got a chiropodist coming in the afternoon so i'll get some advice from him how to preserve my black nail beds. I think if I lost my nails over this I would cry as it would be the end of my sliding season Evil or Very Mad
I'll take a copy of this thread for the shop. If they ask about WTFH i'll tell them - "thats shorthand for the expletive expression they will receive if I have to go back with the boots due to bad fitment" Laughing

Cheers,

RR snowHead
snow conditions
rockyrobin, do they also stock Atomic, say the B9? My X8s are the 2003/04 model, and Atomic or Dalbello would have been the fit alternatives (no Nordica Beasts then). My next fitting is for the Krypton.
ski holidays
comprex, They do stock Atomic boots. I've had a looksee at the B9's but they look on the flex index to be too stiff.
I was thinking maybe the B7's (flex index 7) at a push and maybe the B5's (flex index 6.5) may be more suitable?
In light on what WTFH has said about stiff boots causing a pivot and my lack of body weight not being able to flex the boots i've come round to the idea of needing quite a soft boot if I am going to avoid the toe hammering when things get rough and I manage to fudge my slide Laughing
I've also seen that all their hire boots are Tecnica so I will see if they have any Rival X8's (flex index 6.5). Do you find yours are easy to flex? Do you remember if they differed much from the Atomic B9's in flex?
ski holidays
rockyrobin, have a look and see if they have any of the Rossignol Soft boots, I got myself a pair of soft light 1's this year and they are really comfortable, flex wise they're fairly easy going, for me they are very flexible but I can make supposedly really stiff boots flex like beginners boots
latest report
rockyrobin, Might be worth a trip across to Kendal, go and see Andy or Pete at Anything Technical, if anybody can sort your boot issue out, then its these guys
http://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/
snow report
srobbo, If I don't get any satisfaction from my local shop i'll take a drive over there.
One for the bookmarks, thanks Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin, my Tecnicas are easier to flex than the B9; I have the "very stiff" yellow inserts in them. I find that the fit differences are in the heel pocket (marginally tighter on the Atomic) and in the geometry of the boot cuff to sole angle. In retrospect, I think I might have preferred the Atomic geometry in bumps- clamping my oversize calves into the Rivals bends my ankles so far forward that my hips rebel. *

Other features I truly appreciate about the X8:
- Swing-away top buckle gate for ease of entry
- Flex inserts for adjustment
- Wide power strap adapted for versatile placement either over or under top buckle

Great boot to date. Not one I'm ready to marry though. wink

* (This is in addition to the stance embarassment I confessed to in the Hand Position thread, not a causative factor).
snow conditions
comprex, Thanks for the info on the Rivals Smile
Sounds like they could be the perfect boots for me.
Just hope I don't have to drive all over Yorkshire to find a pair to try.
Don't worry about your stance. I'm sure I look like someone sat on the b@g biting the towel rail for added effort Laughing
ski holidays
rockyrobin wrote:

Don't worry about your stance. I'm sure I look like someone sat on the b@g biting the towel rail for added effort Laughing

rockyrobin, thanks for the cheers, but, are you sure you're on the right forum? This is the one for obsessives. Shocked rolling eyes Cool
snow report
comprex, Hehe, no, I have no trouble with my motions or towel rails and am very obsessive about my sliding opportunities snowHead
snow report
Take what you like from this, but my wife suffered the black toe nails problem, she had been skiing for 2 seasons in Lange boots without problems, then we went on an early season course and after a few days the black toe nails appeared. Whole thing was solved by making sure that the lower of the 2 ankle clips was done up just a bit tighter thus pulling her foot further back into the heel socket
ski holidays
Dypcdiver, good temporary fix. You can test for such play: extend the foot and ski straight in front of you while seated on the chairlift. Grab the ski tip and gently pull towards you. Does the foot slide within the boot?

Alas, there is only so much that can be fixed with that clip (poor, overworked exhausted thing it also has to deal with heel rise and ankle slop) before circulation is cut off to the lower foot.
snow report
Dypcdiver, Thanks for the tip on the buckling the foot back into the socket.

I went for my boots today and tried allsorts on to no avail.
Almost gave up but then was offered a kiddies racing boot to try on - fitted like a glove and had no trouble flexing them Smile
The boots after all this ended up being a pair of Atomic TX11's. The colour is not my cup of tea being white and bright red, but what the h@ll if they fit like a glove snowHead
I feel a trip to the snowdome tomorrow morning being needed Laughing snowHead
Thanks everyone for the advice and support, appreciated Smile
snow report
comprex, You've got me all confused now Puzzled
Quote:
You can test for such play: extend the foot and ski straight in front of you while seated on the chairlift. Grab the ski tip and gently pull towards you. Does the foot slide within the boot?

How do you ski chairlifts? Puzzled
snow conditions
Yes, yes, I never was any good at LISP either.
does that parse better? wrote:

You can test for such play: extend the foot (and ski) straight in front of you (while seated on the chairlift). Grab the ski tip and gently pull towards you. Does the foot slide within the boot?
ski holidays
Don't do it ! trying to grab the ski tip wilst on a lift could conciveably cause the ski to come off the foot, or cause the lift to swing with even worse consequences
ski holidays
comprex, Cheers for the clarification Laughing Don't know if I would feel confident enough doing that though as i'm always a bit nervous being up there in a chair.
Will have to get my head round a way of doing it on terra-firma.

D G Orf, You could always wear a rucksack on the chair so as to add insult to injury Laughing
snow conditions
rockyrobin, especially if it's a US chairlift without safety bars Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy