Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skicross - crazy and I LOVE it!!!

Poster: A snowHead
I agree, skicross is absolutely brilliant!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As well as not being so steep on the up-slope I gather the skicross jumps are longer since the skiers then go faster. Consequently this course was actually slower than a normal skicross course. The jumps had to be taken at a speed which allowed them (and originally the snowboarders) to land on the down-slope.

It is very difficult (perhaps impossible) for a skier in hard boots to lean forward on steep upslopes to keep his weight central. I have noticed that even on indoor kickers at Hemel). By contrast all a boarder has to do is raise his front foot.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've met the 2003 ladies' world champ, Valentine Scuotto. (I know her dad quite well.)

To meet her off the slopes, you'd never guess the madness she gets up to on them!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball, it's not impossible, just difficult. I've raced a skier-cross course with a 3 metre quarter pipe wedge-style jump that kicked the skier almost straight up in the air. The down-ramp started just a couple of metres from the top of the up-ramp, and it caused all sorts of problems with plenty of skiers taking it too fast and missing the down-ramp (including one ex-Olympic GB downhiller), getting too far back and landing on their backsides/tails of their skis or leaning too far forward and superman-diving into the snow (and break both arms, but I'll save the humorous outcome of that story for another day), but the majority managed it okay.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
some highlights showing now, I think.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball wrote:
As well as not being so steep on the up-slope I gather the skicross jumps are longer since the skiers then go faster. Consequently this course was actually slower than a normal skicross course. The jumps had to be taken at a speed which allowed them (and originally the snowboarders) to land on the down-slope.

Actually that makes sense, I noticed on occasion some of them throwing a very quick split second almost snow plough type manouever on the up ramps.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They briefly went back to del Bosco twice during the victory celebrations and he was still lying on the floor the second time being tended by medics. Hope he was OK. In contrast to the mainstream Alpine races where everyone is very worried about crash victims that was the only time we saw the fallen after their fall. All we saw was the Victors!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But seriously, now that we've all seen eth excitement of Skier X, what hope does Boarder X have ? Much slower , less fights, and IIRC no overtaking ?

Unless you give the Boarders ski poles to fight with Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Getting to this thread quite late but was watching skicross last night and it's been a real highlight. Absolutely mental! How many times do you have to dislocate your hips before you quit....at least four or five it seems. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah and I love the fact the competitors are all so quirky - "old guy" of 42, guy with a prison record, it was so funny hearing about all of their backgrounds Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i love the skicross, muchos fun. i competed in a bladercross national series a few years back, that was mental fun to be part of. 8 in a gate, and full contact. possibly the only times i have ever used full on body armour on the slopes Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here we go again Here come the girls, girls, girls, girls (think Boots advert) Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing

Oh and in case you missed it - there was an interesting piece in the times about Chris Del Bosco http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article7035661.ece
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So, Mr PP reckons size matters - cos a beefer won the first race. Have to say - come on girls and stop "clipping the knuckle" Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
narc wrote:
I have difficult taking it seriously as as an Olympic sport, it just seems devised for TV ratings.

Of course it was.

Just like the Super-G.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That first race seemed slow compared to the mens, or was that me?
snow report
"Imagine what kind of role model a Mum who does ski cross makes".... my crazy 7yr old daughter is SOOO not going to be watching ski cross - she has enough bonkers ideas on her own!
snow conditions
Love it "you've got to protect your 6 O'clock" Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
Gazzza wrote:
That's now three things you skiers have got to thank us boarders for.

1. carving skis
2. sensible ski suits (no more flourecsent salopettes or all-in ones)
and now....
3. ski cross

Next time you see a boarder you should buy them a beer immediately.
wink

True.

I also noticed thaht none of the competitors were using those ski-x skis that the shops are full of these days. They all seemed to have GS skis in quite long lengths.

Cant have looked that hard as "most" of them were on the Stockli Skier Cross skis... in fact 1st place and 3rd were. They were handed the FIS Slalom model at the end however for advertising purposes. but the red, green and white skis are the ski - x specific from Stockli. Comes in an FIS, Pro and Punter stiffness models.
snow report
Did Graham Bell really just say when commentating on the skier cross-

'there could be a Norweign sandwich..you'd really want to be in the middle'!

Shocked
snow conditions
Watching it now its great!
ski holidays
Alex A, I'm pretty sure the Stockli skiercross factory model they were using is identical to the Stockli race GS ski. Anyway there were far more Salomons on show than Stockli and the Salomon W12 Lab factory skicross ski is identical to the GS Lab race ski, although most of the Salomon-sponsored riders were wearing skis with graphics of either this year's or last year's GS Labs (GS race ski) rather than the W12 graphics. The Head skiers all seemed to be on the Head GS ski too.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, you're right they pretty much all race on GS skis, like shop badged "race" skis the "skiercross skis" are nothing like what the pros use.
snow report
Fantastic spectator sport!!!! What a competition!
ski holidays
Quote from Darren Rahlves regarding the skis:

Darren Rahlves wrote:
I'm on a full blown World Cup ski that I pretty much raced on. I like the least amount of sidecut on a GS ski and that's what I'm on. I still get skis from an Austrian ski tech. Brand new skis are tough, so he's been hooking me up: Three pairs from Benny Raich's quiver. So that's helpful.

Don't think Benni's started skiing skier cross just yet, although given how he's falling off the back end of the alpine wagon I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him try it soon Smile
ski holidays
Phil_D wrote:
That first race seemed slow compared to the mens, or was that me?

There was a fair bit more fresh snow on the course, which would slow them down, and the women would tend to be a bit slower anyhow, just because on average they are smaller and not quite as strong (which is of course why they don't compete against each other).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy