Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Karwendelbahn in Mittenwald, Germany

Poster: A snowHead
Karwendelbahn in Mittenwald
http://www.bergfex.com/karwendel-mittenwald/
http://www.karwendelbahn.de/

I've got a 72-hr pass out of Wales during the UK half-term holidays and really fancy hitting Karwendelbahn / Damkar.

Heard nothing but good.

Looking to arrive Wednesday 17 February, ski Thursday and Friday, and leave Saturday morning back to Munich.

Anyone been this winter?

Anyone care to decipher the deutsch to let me know how it is at the moment please.

Do I need a guide or is it obvious?

Any recommendations for accommodation please?

Anyone around then assuming the conditions are good?

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike Pow, It's one of those areas that you have to check on the day and then decide whether to go or not. The Dammkar is open at the mo. Whether it will be on 17th Feb, who knows! You also should check whether the snow cover goes all the way down to the valley or you can end up with quite a walk at the end! When you get it on a powder day it's fantastic, but conversely I have experienced it when it was almost un-skiable ( and in fact I got my money back from the ticket office Toofy Grin ) No need for a guide. It's obvious. I have not been for a couple of years now, having become a responsible citizen with small children rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent. Exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks.

If I commit to going to Mittenwald and the conditions change are there alternatives nearby?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
If I commit to going to Mittenwald and the conditions change are there alternatives nearby?
Sure, if you have a car you can drive a couple of miles to Seefeld, or over to the Axamer Lizum, or in the other direction to Garmisch / Zugspitze ( which is also a great powder bowl btw. )
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks.

So rent a car rather than take the train?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow, would give you more flexibility!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The same train that goes to Mittenwald also goes to Garmisch, Seefeld and Innsbruck. So if you don't need a car to get to Mittenwald, then you don't need one to get to any of those places either.

Hotel Post looked decent. I ate there and it was good. It's Germany, the hotels will all be of a decent standard. I've always stayed in Garmisch, though, but I think Mittenwald is actually more attractive. And the Mittenwalder beer is fantastic.

I wouldn't worry about snow and the potential hike at the end. It should be snowing now and is forecasted to stay cold for the foreseeable future. I would think only a storm would scuttle your plans, and you can't predict that at this time of course.

I wish I could get down there that weekend, but not likely since I'll be in Andermatt for the preceding weekend.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies.

Much appreciated Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow, snowing heavily here in Munich, so I guess lack of snow will not be a problem for you Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BAMMM!!!!

Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow

I've not skied it but have walked down the Dammkar piste 3 times (as part of hut to hut hikes) in summer. Twice it has had so much snow in June that it would have been skiable for a few hundred metres vertical.

It's a fantastic, narrow (but not that narrow) valley gorge-type run with a big vertical - and is on my list of "must skis." The only negative (and very novel) thing about the run is that it is accessed by hiking through a tunnel hewn through the mountain. This is quite long - a few hundred metres - and might become a bit tiresome in ski boots and lugging skis.

You may be interested to hear that one of the mountain huts (The Dammkar Hut) referred to above is about halfway down the ski run. In case you don't know, Alpine 'huts' are rustic accommodation places which serve hearty meals (and beer) and offer (usually) dorm type accommodation. The Dammkar Hut serves as a mountain restaurant - so may be open for accommodation in winter. As huts go, the Dammkar is fairly basic but is comfortable enough and it's a great experience to stay there. Facilities have improved in that they now have a proper washroom (cold water) to replace the big jug under an outdoor lean-to roof that we used on our first visit about 15 years ago!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brilliant. Many thanks.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
The only negative (and very novel) thing about the run is that it is accessed by hiking through a tunnel hewn through the mountain. This is quite long - a few hundred metres - and might become a bit tiresome in ski boots and lugging skis
Yes, but that's what keeps the hoi poloi out and the powder fresh for you!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shame your not there for the weekend. I'm working out there next month and am planning on exploring Dammkar or Oberammergau laber that weekend. Would be good to hear what how you find the place.

www.laber-bergbahn.de
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OOH thanks for that
snow report
T -48hrs

Get to Munich airport at 21:40 on Wednesday night.

Last train south is at 22:31 and can't get further than Garmisch at that time.

Possible to get a bus to Mittenwald at 00:57? Or a taxi?

Any reccommendations for accommodation in Mittenwald? Need to book this before I go I would have thought seeing as I'm arriving late.

If I can't, then I'll wait in Garmisch and get the train to Leermoos and ski there and Berwang Thursday and Friday.

Any reccommendations for accommodation in Leermoos?

Back to Mittenwald for Friday night.

Ski Mittenwald Saturday morning and back to Munich mid-afternoon.

Thoughts please

Thanks

Mike
ski holidays
I don't know of any bus at that hour, and the DB site shows none. There are plenty of taxis at the train station in Garmisch, but of course it will cost you (I have no idea how much). I would think staying in Garmisch is your best bet for Wednesday night. I've either stayed in an apartement (won't work for you) or Zum Rassen http://www.gasthof-rassen.de/ . I would recommend it if it weren't so far from the train station. It's maybe a 10 minute walk, which is probably more than you're going to want to do. Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten http://www.vierjahreszeiten.cc/e_index.htm is right across from the station. It's a bit more expensive, but you're still coming out on top if the other option is getting in a taxi to Mittenwald. It was booked up when I tried to stay there before, so I cannot comment personally.

I'm afraid I can't help on hotels in Mittenwald and Lermoos as I've always stayed in Garmisch. The tourist office websites should tell you what's available, though.

I'd be tempted to ski a day on the Zugspitze rather than Berwang. I found Berwang quite limited when I was there, but then again there was hardly any snow at that time.

I would also be tempted just to stay near the train station in Garmisch and not mess with changing hotels. The trains run often enough to Lermoos and Mittenwald. In fact this is exactly what I've done in the past. While I think Mittenwald is a nicer village, Garmisch is just so convenient for getting around to different places. That would also give you the flexibility of hitting Mittenwald on a powder day (assuming you get one).
snow report
Brilliant. Many thanks once again Smile

Hope the forecast rain turns to snow in the next 48hrs
ski holidays
Mike Pow, which forecast rain? The Bavarian weather sites are forecasting overcast weather, a bit warmer than it has been, up until Saturday. On Saturday some sleet or snow. You'll be fine!
ski holidays
Skied Mittenwald Karwendelbahn yesterday and Oberammergau Laber on sat. Pretty fun places. The snow at Mittenwald was in good shape but completely tracked. Speaking to people it sounds like it is normally tracked by tourers even before it opens after new snow. It was basically a bump field, chop and avalanche debris. Quite easy to tire yourself out with the 1300m vert. I definitely scored a lot more fresh tracks at Laber but it normally came at the cost of copious bushwacking or super tight rocky gullies which were near impossible to ski. Planning to put a little TR together but probably not till I get back in a few weeks. Hopefully skiing Wendelstein and Tegelberg or Tegernseer Tal at the weekend too.

You could always just stay in Munich instead of Garmisch and get the train to mittenwald in the morning. I stayed in hotel dolimit last time I stayed in Munich which was cheap with nice enoughh rooms. There are plenty of other reasonably priced places around the station too.

Have not noticed any percipitation in the forecasts till fri/sat either.
latest report
thanks all.

snowforecast has rain lower down for friday afternoon
snow conditions
scottishskier wrote:
Hopefully skiing Wendelstein and Tegelberg or Tegernseer Tal at the weekend too.

They look pretty sweet. Thanks

Wendelstein
http://www.bergfex.com/wendelstein-bayrischzell/

Tegelberg
http://www.tegelbergbahn.de/skifahren-tegelberg.html

Wallberg Tegernseer Tal
http://www.wallbergbahn.de/english/winter/freeriding.html
latest report
Terrain is superb at Wendelstein. Snow sadly lacking.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
Terrain is superb at Wendelstein. Snow sadly lacking.

Should probably rethink my plans for tomorrow. Maybe the 6cm of forecast snow will magically turn into 30!
ski holidays
Had a great morning at Bayrischzell Sudelfeld yesterday with up to knee deep in places, but all on a very nasty surface of frozen turns and collapsable crust.

Super light pow though.

Hope you got some in scottishskier.

TR to follow
ski holidays
We're off to Munich on 5 March for 3 nights/4 days' ski.

Now spoiled for choice with all of the suggestions on here Puzzled !! Have walked the Dammkar piste in summer - so definitely fancy that....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy