Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term Lift Queues - outrageous!

Poster: A snowHead
Okay, so I accept that:-

a) It was half-term
b) It was Fasching
c) I timed it badly and arrived at Peak time
d) It was a blue sky, powder day

However, having to wait a whole 7 minutes in a lift queue is just outrageous. I even had to share my 8 seater gondola with 4 other people Shocked Of course the knock on effect of this scrum was that further up the mountain I had to wait for 6 chairs to go past before i got one to myself. Why do I put myself through such horrors? Any suggestions where I can go next year to redress the issue?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where did you go? Must have put on some weight to need a 8-seater for yourself alone! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had the same problem in Laax, almost 10 minutes on the first Sunday at one of the chairs. One morning I slightly mistimed my start time and couldn't get on the first gondola. Zermatt last year was equally as bad!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is it a bit quiet out there? As in, much more than usual?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think it depends more where you go ie those resorts that aren't swamped with French or Brits are better. Talking to others at Zurich airport Wengen was very busy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
French resorts, anyone? I hear sales in retailers - of which many are to Brits - are down but that could just be exchange-rate driven.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well as the OP mentioned Fasching I am assuming she was talking about somewhere in Austrai...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was at a small resort in Austria that doesn't get many Brit visitors. In fact a number of people expressed surprise that I was from England. The best was one lady I shared a lift with

"You are from England? You mean the island? Really? you have come all the way from England?"

She was German and had travelled with her family for a long weekend.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I love places like that
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Intresting stuff, just goes to show that not everywhere is necessarily stowed out at 1/2 term.
If you do some research and pick your resort carefully, queues can be avoided.

"England the island" Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fallliner wrote:
French resorts, anyone? I hear sales in retailers - of which many are to Brits - are down but that could just be exchange-rate driven.

We stayed in Tignes at half term and was questioned by someone from the tourist information about my purchases. Got talking afterwards and he told me retailers sales were down 30%
Must say at 6-8 euro's a pint, 1.20 euro's a mars bar, 12 euro's for spag bog, 4.5 euro's for a coffee then they deserve it. We went out at night for a pint and found the resort absolutly dead even until 11pm. Where was everybody?? Took it with them like we did.

6 euro's pint at 1.10 euro exchange = £5.45
6 euro's pint at 1.50 euro exchange = £4.00
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for that - how about smaller resorts in France?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was looking at the webcams over half term. Tignes and La Plagne both looked perfectly normal. At Tignes, the webcams haven't shown one serious queue at Aeroski or Palafour all week. Even the Mio bubble at LP looks quiet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got back from La plagne (Montalbert) and we had no problems with lift queues either. They were fine as long as we avoided ski school starting times. We always stay at smaller resorts linked to large areas during half term week and never have problems with lift queues. as long as you time it right. Especially quite dring lunch times.

Lunch in a la plagne somewhere cost 57 euros for

3 bowls of soup and rolls
1 sausage and chips
1 bottle of water
3 cokes

had a heart attack
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skisuit wrote:
Lunch in a la plagne somewhere cost 57 euros for

3 bowls of soup and rolls
1 sausage and chips
1 bottle of water
3 cokes

had a heart attack

Bienvenue a francais Wink
snow conditions
Skisuit, that lunch would be around 30€ in my neck of the woods. Back to original topic. flasching was a tad busier than normal here in schladming, one busy lift took about 10mins, so headed off to a quieter area and then had no queues.
ski holidays
Serre Chevalier this week was fine, slight queing on forst lift up from Le Monetier with hordes of ski school but not had to wait more than 5 minutes for a lift. Great snow all week too!
latest report
But elsewhere in La Plagne, Main Course, Dessert and a Coffee €11 You take your choice wink

Charlatanefc
I suspect Ski Suit paid those prices in Belle Plange, one of the Roche de Mio restaurants or indeed one restaurant in La Plagne that has been known to charge €10 for a large coffee, whilst the adjacent restaurant charges €3 ......

and another snowHead found La Plagne cheaper than some places
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62028#1470821

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 22-02-10 15:22; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Year on year, less busy do people think? The skischool times are generally mad even in quiet weeks, but how was just moving around resorts through the rest of the day?
snow report
Surprisingly quiet in ADH last week unless you were very silly with piste and lift choice. Very little traffic on the roads coming back yesterday and even the bunfight which is Eurotunnel Calais terminal was virtually empty.
snow report
Based myself in Bayrischzell, Bavaria, Germany the end of last week. Skied three resorts.

All the resorts were empty with waiting time of no longer than 5 mins at the base. After that straight on each time.

Met one other British person in the 4 days I was there.

Single room B&B was 45 euro a night
Single day tickets were less than 30 euro (130 euro for 6-day interchangable pass for 5 resorts)
3 days premium ski hire 41 euro
Lunch plus bottled water plus alcoholic drink plus coffee 15 euro
Dinner at my hotel starter, main, coffee, 2 wines, 2 grappas 25 euro

TR to follow this week.

I highly recommended the area and I would return in a heartbeat.
ski holidays
All makes me even happier we went to Predeal in Transylvania than the skiing did! Only once or twice found any queues at the lifts and no more than a couple of min, only lunch outside the all inc package about £30 for 6 of us. Not for you expert skiiers but perfect for our first trip to the mountains.
ski holidays
Not many French experiences so far - even with reduced numbers there must be loads more of you just back from La Belle France than anywhere else?
latest report
chect2000 wrote:

Shocked

Paid as little as 3 euros a pint in Galtur the other week.
snow report
e3.20 for a can of diet coke in France. Didn't buy another thing for the entire holiday (except for supermarkets). They'd make a lot more out of people if they kept prices reasonable.
snow report
prog99 wrote:
chect2000 wrote:

Shocked

Paid as little as 3 euros a pint in Galtur the other week.

paid €3 a pint in Montalbert france last week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy