Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fat skis - a fashion statement?

Poster: A snowHead
The title of this thread has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. The vast majority of skiers spend the vast majority of time on-piste, so anything wider than 80 underfoot is not only wasted, but is positively detrimental to performance, technique and, ultimately, enjoyment. There is a place for the hairy-chested brigade (a lot of whom have joined this thread, with crushing inevitability), but even the top 20% of recreational skiers, if they were completely honest, spend at best 20% of their skiing time in conditions that would merit something more than 80cm underfoot, and wearing skis an wider is just an exercise in vanity.

The people benefitting most from the trend in fat skis are the ski manufacturers, let's face it.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think most of you lot smacked your heads when you last fell over yourselves to say what spankingly fat skis you ski and lost the ability to read Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dr John wrote:
The vast majority of skiers spend the vast majority of time on-piste.

Agreed, but the vast majority of skiers are not skiing on fat skis. Taking today as an example, a pretty good powder day, I'd estimate that <5% of the skis I saw were over about 95mm
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fat skis are a statement yes, for all to see that you have yet to learn to ski powder, and can only manage with the help of a wide ski, a bit like trainer wheels on a bike. Laughing
Off to get my hat.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I swapped from a soft 76mm ski to a 98mm and the wider skis seem to turn even quicker on the piste... although I did take the edge anges up a touch and keep them pretty sharp. I'm nowhere near a good skier but still in my average week I spend 50% of my time off piste and have found that the fatter ski really helps me to enjoy terrain that otherwise I would be struggling on. I do take lessons, do lots of guided days and practice plenty of drills so eventually my technique will improve. I have skied on race skis but to be honest my interest takes me away from the groomed stuff so to me the width is perfect for an all round ski. I've also demo'd and loved the Black Crow Navis (104mm)and found them pretty good on piste, even in the moguls.

As an aside... high 90's are a pretty good match for mens boot sizes... not much extra leverage on the knees.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarpa, I can turn any ski very quickly - it's called rotation! wink A 98mm ski just isn't going to perform a carved or even a steered turn on piste quicker than a 76mm ski (all other things being equal and assuming representative examples of each). It'll perform on piste like a 76mm ski does in deep snow. Edge angles would make zero difference, I'm afraid. Smile

edit for clarity

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 20-02-10 22:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Patch, 95mm is incredibly wide. To even consider that >5% of skiers would be using (correctly) skis that wide is a testament to the marketing skills of the ski companies and the delusions of otherwise intelligent people who seem to thing that buying skis marketed for "experts" automatically qualifies them as such.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For people who spend less than 70% of time off piste they are making up for having an extremly small pee pee. If not maybe a clever equipment choice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

95mm is incredibly wide

No it's not, that's considered 'mid-fat' these days.

Quote:

I can turn any ski very quickly - it's called rotation! A 98mm ski just isn't going to perform a carved or even a steered turn on piste quicker than a 76mm ski (all other things being equal and assuming representative examples of each). It'll perform on piste like a 76mm ski does in deep snow. Edge angles would make zero difference, I'm afraid

I'm not entirely convinced. As long as the ski is stiff enough (inc torsionally), if you rail it properly it'll still carve a turn just like any other ski, just usually with a bigger turn radius that many people can not handle - often something between gs and super g type radi.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

sorry mate, but you're proving my point about the power of marketing. Whoever heard of the phrase "mid-fat" five years ago?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whoever heard of sidecut 20 years ago?

And frankly with ski widths ranging from 66mm slalom skis to 140mm plus pure pow barges, 95mm is midfat, albeit on the larger side of it.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 20-02-10 22:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I like to keep ski waist proportional to my waist - buying ever fatter skis is far easier than going to the gym.. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges wrote:
Scarpa, I can turn any ski very quickly - it's called rotation! wink A 98mm ski just isn't going to perform a carved or even a steered turn on piste quicker than a 76mm ski (all other things being equal and assuming representative examples of each). It'll perform on piste like a 76mm ski does in deep snow. Edge angles would make zero difference, I'm afraid. Smile

edit for clarity

Not if the 76mm skis were 5 yr old B2's with delamination problems and the stiffness of a wet noodle Laughing Seriously... you engaged an edge and they bent so much that the ends skidded out. You are totally correct about the equality factors... I was being a little selective but that was my experience. I have to admit that when I skied an 11m radius slalom ski I had loads of fun on hard groomed. I did find however that increasing the edge angles on my old skis did allow me (with my less than perfect technique) to initially lock into a turn on frozen groomed much better than how they came from the factory. They seemed to follow the arc as well instead of skidding out on the tails as I came out of turns.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

95mm is incredibly wide

Quote:

I can turn any ski very quickly - it's called rotation! A 98mm ski just isn't going to perform a carved or even a steered turn on piste quicker than a 76mm ski (all other things being equal and assuming representative examples of each). It'll perform on piste like a 76mm ski does in deep snow. Edge angles would make zero difference, I'm afraid

I'm not entirely convinced. As long as the ski is stiff enough (inc torsionally), if you rail it properly it'll still carve a turn just like any other ski, just usually with a bigger turn radius that many people can not handle - often something between gs and super g type radi.

My 98s have a turn radius of 19m. Not brill for powder but pretty good for any terrain. Again... a bit of an all rounder. I still mess up and skid turns but they are not bad for any purpose and are great fun.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In an ideal world I'd only have something about 110. In an ideal world it'd snow more, for a start.

I think that 33mm race skis and spider jackets are a fashion statement (albeit a very poor one) so yes, I'd agree most skis are some sort of fashion statement. It's just that my taste is better than yours wink

Frank Zappa goes viking in a fartbag? That's awesome :thumb:

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 20-02-10 23:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
clarky999, sidecut was a revolutionary technical innovation, mid-fat is anything but.
snow report
But it was still controversial when first introduced. Do you not think increased width and rocker could do for freeride skis what sidecut did for piste/race skis?
snow conditions
So much passion over something so unimportant... It's only a few cm guys, don't you know that size doesn't matter? wink

I don't think fat skis are so much a fashion statement as a development. But.....

On the one hand; a development from the R&D department or the marketing department...?

On the other hand; I suspect there are plenty of cash-rich fashion victims out there who opt for fat because they believe fat is a fashion statement. Although I'm in no position to pass final judgement, I can't imagine that on a groomer a fat ski, designed for powder, is going to out-perform a "regular" ski designed for on-piste, when on the foot of a typical intermediate skier.

I very much doubt that a good skier needs a fat ski for powder. In fact, no, I know that a good skier doesn't need a fat ski for powder. If you find a fat ski necessary for ski enjoyment, maybe it's time for more lessons.
ski holidays
andyph, Our guide on the BB was very happy on his old 1st edition B2s Laughing Sadly I am nowhere near as good as him. At least with my mid fats I could follow him through a landscape that made me grin like a madman Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Quote:

I very much doubt that a good skier needs a fat ski for powder. In fact, no, I know that a good skier doesn't need a fat ski for powder. If you find a fat ski necessary for ski enjoyment, maybe it's time for more lessons.

Totally, but fatter skis without a doubt do make things easier - which allows you to push yourself harder and go bigger?
snow conditions
clarky999, and make bigger mistakes and have bigger accidents, cf a piste skier going out of control at a higher speed on a carver than an old-skool 205cm straight?

I'm just playing devil's advocate, but this is snowHead wink
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
andyph, Our guide on the BB was very happy on his old 1st edition B2s Laughing Sadly I am nowhere near as good as him. At least with my mid fats I could follow him through a landscape that made me grin like a madman Madeye-Smiley

Enjoying your use of the word "like" here... wink Laughing
latest report
andyph, So instead of piste oriented fast carvers we should all be safer on fatter skis Laughing Nuff said Twisted Evil
snow conditions
andyph, Ahhhh... it sounded better than 'grin like a keyboard obsessed sad snowHead deprived of the fluffy white stuff' Laughing
ski holidays
Me not mad at all... and my invisible floorboard shoebox will back me up on that.
ski holidays
Scarpa, Laughing
Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

in that order
snow conditions
Quote:

clarky999, and make bigger mistakes and have bigger accidents, cf a piste skier going out of control at a higher speed on a carver than an old-skool 205cm straight?

I'm just playing devil's advocate, but this is

No worries lol.

Maybe, yeah - it certainly opens up that possibility, but if we want to think like that we should all revert to blades. It would be better if people looked after themselves than hold back on new 'technologies' though surely?
snow report
clarky999 wrote:

slikedges wrote:

Scarpa wrote:
I swapped from a soft 76mm ski to a 98mm and the wider skis seem to turn even quicker on the piste...

Eh? What aren't you convinced by?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just mean that with some of the stiffer, chargier fat skis if you're willing to accept a bigger turn radius then they can still carve well.
latest report
clarky999, Totally with you on that statement.
snow report
110s are too fat (have ones) for onpiste and icy offpiste skiing& moguls.
110s and more... they aree true deep powder skis. i use them in europe maybe 6-5 days per season on fresh pow.
offpiste skiing is not only deep powder skiing.
80-85 cms is enough for all the stuff but the slalom or GS, etc races.
i can ski pow on 67 cms carvers. only hard thing, they need more work and fitness.
latest report
I'm not convinced that anyone that can be bothered to argue against "mid-fat" skis actually gets more than a week on snow a year... it's like me slagging off expensive golf clubs with big sweet spots just 'cos I'm crap at golf...
ski holidays
Even if you are spending 70% on hard terrain and only 30% in powder but its the 30% in powder that you live for, surely a 90+mm ski makes sense.

And to all those who say that fat skis are only for those who can't ski powder on skinny ones, Shane McConkey (RIP) was skiing a 130mm underfoot pin tailed ski, supposedly one of the easiest skis in the world to turn in powder and you're not going to challenge his ski ability are you? The fatter it is the easier it is to advance and whats the point of unnecesarily holding yourself back. There's room for evetybody on here to improve
ski holidays
rambotion, and that's making the assumption that a thinner ski is easier on "hard terrain" - unconsolidated/ungroomed snow is much easier to perform on with a more stable base so 90mm-ish is a good waist there...
snow report
DaveC wrote:
I'm not convinced that anyone that can be bothered to argue against "mid-fat" skis actually gets more than a week on snow a year... it's like me slagging off expensive golf clubs with big sweet spots just 'cos I'm crap at golf...

Ding. Ding.

If you are posting in this thread and ski less than 60 days per year, shut it.

I once hit a 70 (gross) on the Wentworth East. Suck it. (Yes, all 18 holes too! Neh Neh )

Dr John, I'm not going to look it up but around 5 years ago I had a very good argument with a snowHead re Fat Skis, at the time my everyday ski was 94mm, I was called all kinds of names, last year the same snowHead was using a 94mm ski as his everyday ski. The following year I had a pair of Prophet 130s, and anyone who has skied them can tell you they are a blast all over the mountain - 18m side cut and inverse sidecut on the tip, it was, as the Austrians call it, a "fun carver". The Prophet 130 at the time was the fattest production ski and now there are a few skis fatter than that but not many. As it goes I sold the Prophets, but I am in the market for something 120-130mm underfoot again for Canadian trees...

Hold on your hair piece granddad, the mid-fats, and fats are here to stay...
ski holidays
LIP UP FATTY

http://youtube.com/v/F6fQnTyEniM
snow conditions
parlor, something Spat-esque - I really like the hybrid shapes (WDF redeemer?, Praxis Protest, Moment Night Train, DPS138 if you're rich) - would be the boys for trees here. Where in .ca are you?
latest report
clarky999,
Quote:

Whoever heard of sidecut 20 years ago?

I won't be incredibly rude (although I could be) because you make a couple of good points elsewhere - but if you didn't have side cut, you couldn't carve turn the skis - no snowplough, etc. skids only. Skis have had some form of sidecut pretty much forever. They certainly had 20 years ago.

Doh.

DaveC, Parlor,
Quote:

that can be bothered to argue against "mid-fat" skis actually gets more than a week on snow a year: ski less than 60 days per year, shut it

Hmmm, 29 days and counting... snowHead snowHead

Rambotion
Quote:
The fatter it is the easier it is to advance and whats the point of unnecesarily holding yourself back.
Nope. Not true at all.

Heeee heee

I'm Lovin It.
latest report
parlor wrote:
.....If you are posting in this thread and ski less than 60 days per year, shut it........

Hmm. I suspect the vast majority of sHs are recreational skiers who cannot get 60 days away form work and home to go skiing - but they are entitled to have opinions.

FWIW, I don't think fat skis are a fashion statement. My Missions are 89 at the waste, but I have seen far fatter skis than mine performing very well on piste - and, of course, brilliantly off. The torsional stiffness of modern skis can be quite incredible.

Me, well I find the Missions tolerant of my ancient legs, and of missing the sweet spot on turns when a lowly 20 days or so a year skiing shows up the ineptness of my skiing.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
I just mean that with some of the stiffer, chargier fat skis if you're willing to accept a bigger turn radius then they can still carve well.

Well of course they do! You can carve pretty much anything but what has that to do with the price of fish Puzzled 'Twasn't Scarpa's contention...

DaveC wrote:

No, not like that, completely different - expensive golf clubs with big sweet spots won't hold you back for most of the golfing you're doing at your level.

parlor wrote:

Ding. Ding.

If you are posting in this thread and ski less than 60 days per year, shut it.

So the only sH's opinion you'd like to hear is your own Laughing I'm not a ski bum flitting between resorts with my quiver picking out strictly bluebird powder days only. Like "most of the time, for most skiers" I go at the times I've set aside to a fixed place decided on months ago and ski what there is in the conditions there are, 'cos I have a career and both personal and professional responsibilities to attend to! rolling eyes

rambotion wrote:
Even if you are spending 70% on hard terrain and only 30% in powder but its the 30% in powder that you live for, surely a 90+mm ski makes sense.

...The fatter it is the easier it is to advance [in powder] and whats the point of unnecesarily holding yourself back. ...

Yep, would agree, very reasonable and sensible, though not a lot of powder in Europe "most of the time, for most skiers" on their 1 or 2 weeks a year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy