Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fat skis - a fashion statement?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In fact it was March 2004 when i got a pair of 189 Seth Pistols (green ones) that I converted (massive at 95mm !). Use Volkl G31 Vertigo for a few years... they were great skis.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alex A, oh yes, the Vertigo G31s were awesome, I did two fantastic thigh deep days skiing round near Jackson Hole on the G3 (G31 replacement) in 2004. Yum, yum.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bobinch wrote:
milnerhome, Mosha Marc, put those piste skis away...... Cool

I assume that isn't really TurD that is written on the bottom of your brown skis? They look like they've been made out of 1970s recycled G-plan kitchen furniture. Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, hahaha! Bit early to be on the drink isn't it? Must admit I'm not a fan of the graphics but am a fan of their powder farming abilities snowHead Will leave the fashion statements to you boys on your race skis Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bobinch wrote:
davidof, hahaha! Bit early to be on the drink isn't it? Must admit I'm not a fan of the graphics but am a fan of their powder farming abilities snowHead Will leave the fashion statements to you boys on your race skis Very Happy

I'm sure they are very good skis but they look awful. It proves the title of this thread is nonsense. If you are prepared to ride those bits of formica you are certainly not a fashion victim. Go on, tell me what is says on the bottom, even Dynastar wouldn't call a ski a "turd", although big dump is pretty close.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, it says KURO! From our German friends at Volkl. They have done a bit better with the graphics this year http://www.voelkl.com/index.cfm/en/75/Freeski-Telemark

Fortunately they are usually covered in powder Very Happy and as you say, graphics on skis are surely just a nice sideshow rather than the reason people buy a pair of skis.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bobinch wrote:
davidof, it says KURO! From our German friends at Volkl. They have done a bit better with the graphics this year http://www.voelkl.com/index.cfm/en/75/Freeski-Telemark

Fortunately they are usually covered in powder Very Happy and as you say, graphics on skis are surely just a nice sideshow rather than the reason people buy a pair of skis.

Really impressive skis, certainly this year's are a nice improvement graphics wise. Positive point, no-one would nick a ski called the Volkl Turd with a brown Fablon[tm] topsheet.

the missus thinks they are the Turo - she askedd if they are waterskis! Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sugardaddy,
Quote:
slikedeges wrote:

The point is the more the mm the less good on groomed. Dunno why you'd think the point was being able to tell the difference on each and every mm increase

sorry, but once again you're stating that each mm more is worse on groomed - hence it should be noticed. If the diffrence is not noticeable, it should be the same, not worse.

Either you don't understand what you read or you're just a quarrelsome person. I think it's the latter, but feel free to correct me.
Quote:

slikedges wrote:

brain doesn't adapt

yes it does. Some changes do occur at a lower level, but most don't

I'd say it's the other way round. In large part reduced sensitivity to small increments as signal intensities increase is inherent in the anatomical and physiological design of the system (though in some systems weaknesses in the system result in a loss of accuracy at the extremes of performance), not in some neuropsychological fudge.
Quote:
slikedges wrote:

The Weber-Fechner law seems like a pretty superfluous way of stating the obvious, that the smaller a change is as a proportion of the baseline stimulus the less it's noticed! (I think one of the many reasons why it might not be very useful)

It actually states a logarithmic relationship and way to go, rambling on issues you've no idea about (you could have at least checked on Wikipedia...)

Another Wikipedia expert rolling eyes Do you actually understand anything you read? The fact that it may be close to logarithmic in some systems doesn't detract from the fact that it's still a grandiloquent (I like this word, but didn't come to mind before) way of stating the obvious. Be intrigued to know if anyone in a hard science (as opposed to woolly tree-hugging pseudoscience who wants to look clever) actually uses this "law"?

By the way, you started the ad hominem attack and I shan't be quarrelling with you about this any further NehNeh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alex A, bandit XXXs were pretty large but there was no way they were the largest at the time. I had a mate who had a pair of XXXXs that he got off of Mica Black that were pretty big but there were a couple of skis by Atomic Heli Guides & HeliSki's or something like that that were bigger than the XXXs. As under a new name, mentions i think the explossifs were bigger too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
frank4short, lordy, yes XXXXs, forgotten about them! I seem to think I recall that they weren't widely available...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, Race room spec only as far as I'm aware. Basically you had to either be sponsored by Rossi or in the know of someone that was or someone in the factory to get a pair. At least that was the case with the original ones. I believe they may have released a limited edition version to the public around 2001/2 when it was apparent there was a demand for them. Though they were never mass market until B4 came out. At least that's how i remember it, however i could be mistaken.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Explosif / Explosive (inc 1, 2, 3, V, Wizards & Buddahs) maxed out at 95mm. At the same time you could get Atomic Powder Cruise, Powder Plus (I think they also made Heli-Guide and another ?-Guide) which over the years changed from 110mm to 115mm. Rossignol Axioms were also available during the same period, similar dimensions 100-110(?)mm over time.

In fact, I think but never confirmed that the XXXX was actually just an Axiom with a X series topsheet. The year the Bandits came out and the 'B3' was the fattest in the available, there was another secret B4, exactly the same top sheet as the B3 just longer, fatter, stiffer and with a cut off tail - another Axiom? Rossignol have done this a few times over the years, the following year they released the B4 and the secret version was a Squad, guess what, the year later Squads were also readily available.

I skied a pair that Hugo Harrison skied. Who wants to touch me?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor, I am going to get the Powder Plus out again the first chance I get since that pesky SkiDog has appropriated my Factions.

You know that makes sense!

Think I might park the car on them again to get even more rocker bent into them though, in retrospect I was a bit cautious last time I did that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp wrote:
parlor, I am going to get the Powder Plus out again the first chance I get since that pesky SkiDog has appropriated my Factions.

You know that makes sense!

Think I might park the car on them again to get even more rocker bent into them though, in retrospect I was a bit cautious last time I did that.

Good news. On ALL accounts!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alex A wrote:
98/99 Rossi B3 were the widest ski around. Cant remember the size but were BIG at the time. I was on a pair of Salomon Race skis (3V something?) think about 60mm at the waist and they had a fair amount of shape. Was the biggest snow season in the Alps EVER and I skied lovely powder all season Smile I thought they were a real step forward ! They are in my shed so will measure waist today !

footsoldier, Dynastar Vertical had been around a little while already at that time I think.

Yep - I managed to lose a decade there! The ones I had were the fluorescent based originals - still have a picture of a my best attempt at a "daffy" with undersides of both verticals in their full glory! I feel even worse now it appears that was 20 years ago....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy