Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet skibag allowance

Poster: A snowHead
So I booked and boarded my flight today and asked the question we all want to know:

If I have a ski bag and dont also have a hold bag can I just book the ski bag and 0 hold bags.
The answer seemingly is yes, you bag cannot go over 19 kilo and theoretically should be 12 kilo ski, 7 kilo boots (so dont tell them the bag also contains clothes and if askes say it is padding! So heh presto in the future I can get my whole touring set up in the 19kilo allowance and save a small fortune ... well 14 quid or whatever it may be.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
19kg? I thought the ski bag limit was 32kg?

Colour me confused Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dav, No, if you book a regular hold bag 20kg AND a ski bag, your total weight allowance goes up to 32kg. So booking a ski bag with a hold bag gives you an extra 12kg but a ski bag alone (no other hold bag) only allows you 19kg. Smile

plectrum, perhaps your question should have included the statement "and have 32kg total allowance" at the end? Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
plectrum, who did you ask? If it was at the check-in desk they are giving conflicting information with their "customer experience champions". Many of us have confirmation that it's 32kg for a ski bag with no hold bag ( so long as you don't also check in a hold bag).

....but it seems that we can't rely on that can we... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have never seen any reference to 19kg on Easyjet website

some light bedtime reading
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31031&start=160
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58745&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58982&start=40
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I flew Eay Jet from London with a giant ski bag and just hand bagage. This was at the beginning of the season.

The ski bag was 30 kilos and all that Easy Jet did was put a HEAVY! tag on it.

This only appears to happen with Easy Jet, I have had all my bags weighed, skis, hold bag and hand luggage by an airline before. A very agressive check in assistant ordered me to pay extra baggage (very expensive) or not take the flight. Karma got the better of them as they are now out of buisiness.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At Gatwick last week Easyjet check in told me that I needn't have paid for 2 sets of skis as they were both in one bag.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We flew with easy jet in January and from what i remember it was 20 kg for a hold bag, 2 kg for a ski bag(sports equipment) or if you booked both you had a combined maximum weight of 50kg(2kg less than you'd expect).
A few of the guys on the trip only took ski/board bags and had no problems with weight at check in.
I'm sure if you go into the Easyjet site and read the terms and conditions this will clarify the allowances.

Cheers
Scott
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
I'm sure if you go into the Easyjet site and read the terms and conditions this will clarify the allowances.

I wish I shared your confidence!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B, that is the first time I have seen any one post that particular problem on here Shocked

scottieruss wrote:
I'm sure if you go into the Easyjet site and read the terms and conditions this will clarify the allowances. Cheers Scott

Read the links I posted above and it may change your opinion wink it is a lottery Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We flew out with easyjet on Sunday.

I took out a ski bag and hold luggage. Total weight 36kg, no problem. Friend checked in separately with huge ski bag only, weighed 26kg, they just put a heavy tag on it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fly EJ with ski bags and hold bags at least 3 times per year...20kg for hold bags...30kg for ski bags...i take 3 sets of skis in one bag that weighs 29 kg... before i took the 3 sets i used to take 2 pairs of skis and bang a load of clothes in until it weighed 30kg....nobody ever checked for # of skis or clothing...but then i am a good looking fella and the check-in girls are too busy drooling over my passport to notice...this may not apply to you guys...anyhow, those are the figures..

okbye
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No, they are not the figures. It's clearly shown on the booking page that your sports equipment bag can weigh a maximum of 32kg.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think there is a confusion here. halfhand, is right that booking on a ski bag as well as a normal hold bag buys you only an extra 12kg. I do not know how much heavier a ski bag on its own can be this year, but 19kg sounds roughly in line with previous years.
bar shaker is right that the maximum possible weight allowed for any single bag, including the ski bag (for health and safety of the handlers) is 32kg. They can simple refuse it if it weighs more. However you may have to pay a large excess baggage fee for that extra weight. I say "may" since, from what has been said on here, this is clearly not rigidly enforced. Perhaps some of the staff are themselves confused.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bar shaker, well whaddaya know...i just checked with EJ and they say it is 32kg... those cheeky checkin girls have been telling me fibs....ah well, it is EJ and their staff are generally retarded so i am not surprised...

okbye
snow report
As I said above, the allowance you have payed for and the maximum weight allowed (by paying excess baggage) are different.
From easyJet website (my emphasis, and I edited out the details of baggage fees) :

"Every item of standard checked ('hold') baggage will incur a fee. Payment of the fee provides you with an aggregate allowance of 20kg across all pieces of hold baggage which may only be increased by payment of excess weight charges.
The maximum acceptable weight for each single piece of checked-in hold baggage is 32kg. Baggage which exceeds this weight will not be accepted for carriage.
Where checked-in hold baggage exceeds 20kgs in weight , each passenger will pay an excess baggage charge per kg up to a passenger maximum of 50kgs,.

Sporting equipment:
Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 Kgs including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs.
Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs.
Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out above shall apply in addition to the above fee."

Seems clear to me.
snow report
Seems clear to me too. Always has.
snow conditions
snowball, some one recently posted on here that they were charged excess baggage for a ski bag weighing 16kg at Grenoble airport Little Angel
snow conditions
snowball, seems clear in the T&Cs certainly. But as I just experienced flying out and back from Geneva, my total weight of hold luggage and sporting equipment came to 36kgs and I wasn't subject to any excess charges. It seems like there may be confusion amongst check-in staff as to exactly what the rules are.
snow report
Dav, As long as their confustion is in your favour, don't complain about it!
snow report
As I mentioned just now in the "Ryanair" thread, Easyjet not one hour ago in a chat session told me explicitly that they did not allow non sports equipment in sports equipment baggage. They were coy about what constituted sports equipment but eventually decided it was anything on their official list. I then asked about padding for protection with clothes and they said at first it was ok, then ok as long as not too many clothes were used, then they said that they didn't know what constituted "too many clothes" and said that no clothes at all were actually allowed.

It therefore appears to me that it's a case of trusting to luck. Would be handy to know if the t's and c's explicitly prohibit clothes in sports equipment baggage? I can't find it.
ski holidays
carled, Easyjet levy a charge for a sports bag because it has to go through 'outsize' luggage, for which Swissport (the baggage handlers) charge them extra.

They don't care if you have golf clubs and Pringle jumpers, a bike and Lycra shorts or 2 snowboards and your boarding gear in your bag, the charge is for a sports bag.

I always pay for a hold luggage bag and the sports bag upgrade to give me a 20+12kg allowance, then stick everything in my Wheelie Locker and load it right up to the weight limit. Its the way I read the T&Cs and I have never had a problem with it.
latest report
bar shaker, agreed, it shouldn't matter, but they were absolutely explicit to me in the chat session... clothes are not allowed in sports equipment bags. I think I'd fancy my chances in a court (not looked at Easyjet's yet, but certainly Ryanair's) armed with their T's & C's.
snow report
...and check this out... can't be much more explicit. Hence the confusion. They seem to have a "policy" but they don' tback it up in their t's and c's so, thus far, it's unenforcable I think?

http://getsatisfaction.com/easyjet/topics/what_do_i_pay_for_a_snowboard_bag_with_all_my_belongs_in
ski holidays
bar shaker, I never pay for a hold luggage bag and only pay the sports bag upgrade to give me a 20+12kg allowance, then stick everything in my board bag and load it right up to the weight limit. Its the way I read the T&Cs and I have never had a problem with it
ski holidays
I'm flying from London Luton with EJ in nine sleeps and I don't have one of them fancy padded ski bags, so will they allow clothes in the bag to protect my skis? Puzzled
snow report
crazy_skier_jules, officially, no. Unofficially I doubt they'll notice and if they do, just ask them to point out where, in the t's and c's it mentions that you can't put clothes in there!
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
bar shaker, I never pay for a hold luggage bag and only pay the sports bag upgrade to give me a 20+12kg allowance, then stick everything in my board bag and load it right up to the weight limit. Its the way I read the T&Cs and I have never had a problem with it

On all recent flights,from Stansted and Geneva, I have been told that my mahoosive board back can only be 12kg, until I have pointed out that I have also paid for 20kg of hold luggage. Your email from Easyjet HQ, Ray, is a perfect means of countering this but I am not sure it will always work. I don't need the hassle when travelling so just pay for the 20kg as well as the 'extra' 12kg sports allowance.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled, thanks Carled!!
snow report
When ever I have booked with easy jet (2-3 times a season) , it is 20kg for hold bag , extra 12kg for skis, but as long as the whole lot not over 32kg ,no problems. This is what it says on the website. Pay for skis and hold bag get 32kg altogether- can have up to 50kg in total but they charge extra over the 32kg....Where has the 19kg figure come from ???

Flybe however hold luggage and skis have own wieght only and never the twain shall meet.....

Fingers crossed at check in in the morning... better go finish packing .. and weigh everything !

Is it just me or is the whole luggage thing such a stress ???!!!!
snow conditions
jennycook, pay for skis only and get 32 kg too
snow conditions
jennycook wrote:
Is it just me or is the whole luggage thing such a stress ???!!!!

There is a very simple solution wink
snow conditions
One of our chaps on last weekends trip flew from Gatwick. Paid only for sports equipment (i.e. his ski bag) and took hand luggage (EJ btw). I think there was an e-mail exchange about the validity of this move but they let him do it on the basis that the website doesn't say that you can't. Don't know what the weight of his ski bag was though (this contained most of his clobber)..

However, since you have to pay for hold luggage (20kg) AND sports equipment I can't see how you can claim 32kg if you only pay for sports equipment Puzzled .
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
One of our chaps on last weekends trip flew from Gatwick. Paid only for sports equipment (i.e. his ski bag) and took hand luggage (EJ btw). I think there was an e-mail exchange about the validity of this move but they let him do it on the basis that the website doesn't say that you can't. Don't know what the weight of his ski bag was though (this contained most of his clobber)..

However, since you have to pay for hold luggage (20kg) AND sports equipment I can't see how you can claim 32kg if you only pay for sports equipment Puzzled .

It's all down to interpretation isn't it? The T's and C's state that paying the sports equipment fee increases your hold allowance to 32kg. It doesn't state that you HAVE to have 20kg of hold luggage already paid for and that is why people are paying the money and getting 32kg. There's NOTHING in there that mentions "just" 12kg for sports equipment, that's simply an interpretation that some on here are making based on 32 - 20kg.
ski holidays
carled, That's the arguement my mate used and got away with it. I'm sure they'll close this loophole in time for next year rolling eyes
snow report
halfhand wrote:
Easyjet's website confirms that you get 20kg per passenger automatically - the catch is you have to pay for a bag to put it in. However, if you pay for sports carriage you get a bag to put it in and get the 12kg extra too, as Rayscoops put it "pay for skis only and get 32 kg too"
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, So you are still around - it seems ages since I saw a posting from you - I was wondering where you had got to a couple of night ago - hope all is going well.
ski holidays
You wait ages for a post and then 2 come along at once, I'm still here Megamum Toofy Grin I'm having an 'off' season for one reason or another (mostly good ones) but I shall return soon...
snow report
halfhand, from the snowheads threads I posted above
nickH wrote:
question1: 01/12/2009 07.37 PM
I would like to take a bag containing skis & clothes with me. I have paid £18.50 for the sports bag carriage. As it is not clear from your FAQ section, could you please tell me how much weight I can have in the bag if I am not taking any other hold baggage. I assume that as £9 buys me 20 kg hold baggage that the £18.50 will buy me at least £20kg if not 32kg.

reply1:

02/12/2009 10.31 AM
Thank you for contacting us.
All passengers are entitled to 20 kilos of hold baggage weight allowance. In addition, a manual handling fee of £26.00 per flight (or £18.50 per flight if pre-booked online) is charged for Bikes, Skis, Golf Clubs, Windsurfers, Surfboards, Hang-gliders and Firearms, which allows a further 12 kilos. Only if your hold baggage and sports equipment combined weigh more than 32 kilos will you be charged excess baggage fees of £10.00 per additional kilo.
Yours sincerely
Frédéric Fourmont
Customer Experience Champion

question2: 02/12/2009 06.55 PM
Incident created due to reply to expired incident 091201-002474.
therefore if I have paid only for ski carriage ( £18.50) and have only a ski bag going into the hold, my ski bag can weigh up to 32kg ( 20kg hold allowance + 12kg extra for sports eqpt) - is that correct ? cheers

reply2:

03/12/2009 07.53 PM
Need to update your question?
Dear Mr H ,
Thank you for contacting us.
I am happy to confirm that you are absolutely right about the baggage allowance for your booking. I can confirm that you have an allowance of 32kg for your booking. Please note that you are not allowed to take more than 32kg in only one piece of baggage. I below detail a link that you may find useful. You will there see a link to a live chatroom where you can consult further details with one of our customer service agents.(link removed). Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us Mr H. Please do not hesitate to contact us one more time if you need any further assistance.
Yours sincerely,
Omar Carrieri
Customer Services Champion
latest report
As to loading your ski bag with extra clothing.
On the way back from the birthday bash our skis went missing for 5 days not a problem on the way home but if they had gone on the way out. Not a problem for ski's because you can hire in resort until yours appear and maybe claim it back on the insurance. But what about the clothing you had packed in the bag. It would mean you having to buy (at resort prices).
I use to put my jacket, salopettes etc in there, now I'm not so confident about doing that on the way out.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy