Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Socks - Legal???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Boredsurfing wrote:
Spyderman,
Quote:

I'd have the Range Rover without a second thought.

I'm having second thoughts having seen actual fuel consumption figures for the Range Rover Skullie

6mpg difference between a Range Rover TDV8 and a MB ML V6d. Hardly noticeable if you can afford either new in the first place. rolling eyes

Main difference is the Range Rover will take you anywhere in total luxury, the ML will only get you to the Hair Salon. Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The ML is even more useless than the Cayenne for off road driving. The MB G wagon is actually very good though. The Range Rover beats the lot and does it with some style.

A friend has a 7 year old petrol Range Rover that he has had converted to LPG. He now gets the equivalent of 38mpg average.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bar shaker, When referring to an ML as more useless than a Cayenne for off road on which ML do you base this knowledge?

Spyderman On actual figures my ML did 31mpg to Montalbert a guy with an 18 month old RR did exactly the same route and got 22 mpg. The X5 owner went very quiet wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boredsurfing wrote:
bar shaker, When referring to an ML as more useless than a Cayenne for off road on which ML do you base this knowledge?

Spyderman On actual figures my ML did 31mpg to Montalbert a guy with an 18 month old RR did exactly the same route and got 22 mpg. The X5 owner went very quiet wink

It was a 5 year old 320, I think. My friend bought it for his wife to tow her horse box and to put hay out in their fields. It got stuck twice within the first couple of weeks. Maybe they were expecting too much of it but the new shape Freelander they now have has never got stuck.

It sounds like your friend has a petrol Range Rover. The TDV8 should return close to 30mpg on a long run. I don't get much more than that from my Audi. Then again, my Audi is made from recycled Panzer tank armour plating.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bar shaker wrote:
mfj197, Its interesting you say that. I heard that one of their downsides was that their life was measured in metres if you left them on, on a road with no snow/ice. Clearly this isn't true.

Mine have travelled about 3.5 miles on cleared tarmac so far, although I was taking it easy (about 30mph). They aren't in brand-new condition any more but are still perfectly sound. The only reason I left them on for so long was because it was the first time I'd fitted them (so didn't know how easy it would be to remove them) and I didn't know how far it was to my destination! However they are so easy to put on and remove that it was a no-brainer to pop them off to travel on the main road back to town. They're sitting in the boot at the moment and there they will remain until the winter has passed.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing wrote:

That could be down to driving styles, the Range Rover driver wearing boots vs. the standard ML Jimmy Choo's. Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bar shaker, Old style ML - new style much better plus there is honesty from Merc, (there is an optional off road pack which means lots more buttons air suss etc etc.)
I regularly park mine behind the local ski shop owners Defender having driven across a sloped driveway covered in snow and ice. There was a debate last week about when I was going to need to buy winter tyres for it Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:

That could be down to driving styles, the Range Rover driver wearing boots vs. the standard ML Jimmy Choo's. Laughing

Your probably right I did the trip 45 minutes quicker, (wearing my Oakley trainers) mostly with cruise control on wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing wrote:

They're both useless. Hard to say which is more useless though, I'd say the Cayenne myself, as even if you'd want to adapt the Cayenne for the rough stuff you can't. At least MB offer some off-road improvements for the ML.

G-Wagon is very good off-road, but then it's basically a military vehicle built for NATO. It's certainly not luxury transport, even in AMG form.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing wrote:

I regularly park mine behind the local ski shop owners Defender

Very wise, makes it much easier to attach the tow rope when you're stuck. Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing wrote:

Your probably right I did the trip 45 minutes quicker, (wearing my Oakley trainers) mostly with cruise control on wink

Cruise Control makes a huge difference to fuel economy. I did a test driving the same journey, one time with cruise control, one without. No matter how hard I tried to drive economically, I couldn't beat the figures when using the cruise control. It saves a couple of mpg at least.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone tried the Michelin Easy Grip kevlar snow chains? Available from about £65 and, apparently, they are legal.

http://www.easy-grip.eu/

http://www.easy-grip.eu/docs/notices/easygripAN.pdf

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=Michelin+Easy+Grip

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 4-10-10 13:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Took wifeys CRV to the Alps one year and fitted a set of Pirelli Snowsport winter tyres to it for her as the originals were due a change anyway.
Took it up some very steep icey and snowy mountain tracks and didn't get stuck once. In fact it was brilliant! Put it down to the winter tyres as the 4wd system in a CRV is pants (you have to be spinning the fronts for the rears to engage, if if you're spinning the fronts you're loosing control!)
Anyways, when back home we left the winter tyres on it untill we sold the vehicle the following autumn.

A lot of 4x4 owners have the misconception that they are going to be problem free in snow and ice - wrong!
On ice, it doesn't matter how many wheels are driving you, its not going to stop you from sliding into an accident.

For the record, winter tyres offer far better grip up to 7degrees above zero than any other tyre so not just useful for icey roads.
I find they grip better in the wet too and use a set from November to March on my behicle every year. But thats just me being anal.

Can't beat a good quality set of chains as a back up though!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Couldn't help but giggle about the £40000 price tag on a high end Q5.... wanna see the Norwegian prices for 2011?

VAT/Duty* Price kr Price £
Audi Q5 2,0 TFSI 180 Hp 6-gear manual 246071 533900 57810
Audi Q5 2,0 TFSI 211 Hp 6-gear manual 308234 666200 72135
Audi Q5 2,0 TFSI 211 Hp S tronic 333308 711200 77008
Audi Q5 3,2 FSI 270 Hp S tronic 493649 895100 96920
Audi Q5 2,0 TDI 143 Hp 6-gear manual 187772 483400 52342
Audi Q5 2,0 TDI 170 Hp 6-gear manual 214449 535300 57961
Audi Q5 2,0 TDI 170 Hp S tronic 245448 569600 61675
Audi Q5 3,0 TDI 240 Hp S tronic 412673 772500 83645

* excluding road tax

Check out that 3.2l S-tronic ... 97 grand! Ouch, ouch, feckin' ouch, and more than half of that straight in the government's pocket. Cars are so cheap in the UK.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman wrote:
L3VSA wrote:
Thanks but what do you mean by sort of 4x4 (ha know what you mean its just playing at it).
Yeah husband checked last night and cant get finger between back of wheel and strut. Stupid design really

BMW don't expect the drivers of their 4x4s to take them anywhere more extreme than Tesco's car park. wink
Doesn't surprise me at all that chains won't fit, should have bought a Land Rover. wink Laughing

Indeed. Just look how many of these have low profile tyres.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy