Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Snobbery

Poster: A snowHead
yes in some cases , does it matter what someone uses be it a snowboard "grown up skis" ,skiboards,mono skis WHATEVERRRRR its fun , all this is a little bit like picking on the ginger kid or the fat kid at school , as long as your safe, you can do something well with style and grace and noone is in danger does it really matter? no it doesnt , oh and for wipping people out skiers are just as bad if not worse than skiboards and snowboards etc etc , infact a skier came racing down a red at a stupid speed in a straight line and wiped out my friend who was going slow doing lots of turns , my poor friend got chucked up into the air did a summersault and landed on the ground dazed and confused and nope the said wipeout skier guy wasnt even english he was austrian looked pretty experienced and in effect wiped my friend out on purpose because he was in the way asshole!!!!! oh and a girl also a girl dont know where she was from baisically caught my friends ski at such a speed he fell over (and he is really really good!!!) .....................no good having double standards saying skiers are always safe because they are just as bad as everyone else ...............and for the record i ski snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
harriet,....then tell your friend to stop fagging around "going slow doing lots of turns"....who the fuci< does that anymore...

okbye
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowpatrol, the piste was massively wide the slope was empty when he started , he didnt want to go straight down he wanted to do lots of turns and thats his choice he was beeing SAFE where as this austrian dude could see him before he even set off he had plenty of time to go around him but hey i spose he was in the right bombing it down in a straight line unable to stop rolling eyes he was obviously practicing the game "how many people can i hurt in 5 minutes" rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, silly, indeed. Though I thought snowpatrol was some sort of adolescent, which might explain it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
harriet, i play that game...was your mate skinny or fat?......... you get less points for fatties....

okbye
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, we are going to fall out soon....

okbye
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard wrote:
davidof, silly, indeed. Though I thought snowpatrol was some sort of adolescent, which might explain it.

Well I wasn't getting at snow patrol and if he is just a kid then fair enough.

I'm sure I've said plenty of stupid stuff over the years (although thankfully most of it on snowheads!) which is why I labelled my comment as ski snobbery.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MagSeven wrote:
Alexandra wrote:
MattMattMatt, something, which if the yanks could spell, would spell "gapper". Laughing

It's prounounced like it's spelt. Gay per.

[Inserts tongue in cheek] You're such a gaper for prounouncing it wrong [removes tongue from cheek]

Strange, legend has it that "gaper" (gapper) comes from the gap (gap) between the goggles & helmet of a newbie.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alexandra, so presumably if you carry on skiing, the gap will get gradually narrower even if you don't change either the goggles or the helmet? If it's purely a function of number of days skied.

How fascinating. Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alexandra, magseven is correct re: pronounciation...so after confirmation of this fact, you may now want to rethink your post about americans and their spelling abilities as it is clearly retarded....

okbye
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are always different standards and levels of enjoyments in skiing and boarding. The snobbery is only to do with the attitude of the speakers or the listeners.

Thus a guy saying he has to fly a jet into St Moritz or Aspen to catch the power could be regarded as a snob by one who can only afford the same sport in the local dry slopes even the speaker is only trying to make the point that such resort is remote and an easier access is to use the resort own small airport. Then again some skiers would regard a skiing resort in not high class enough unless it has its own runways so places Zermatt, Lech and Cortina have to take the second place.

To the same extent a skier may head for the Alps if he/she dislike the Scottish resort dominated by the drag lifts. There are skiers who always prefer real snow to the flake stuff in a snow dome. A snow dome user can despise those going to dry slopes even living in the same area.

Then we have piste users who think if God has created us with two legs and so we should ski with two planks...... Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc wrote:
Why all off the sudden numerous threads about the tone of posts??? I come here to gain information, whether it's about skiing technique, resort suitability or best lodging/mountain restuarant etc. If someone comes across with an attitude, I just ignore it and absorb the information. Some resorts ARE better suited for motorway cruising. Others may have easily accessible off-piste. If I'm looking for motorway cruisers and someone "recommends" resort A with a snobbery tone, I wouldn't gotten upset about it. But then, I don't post question about "which resort is best" without giving out information on what is it that I'm looking for. So I don't often get bombarded with "sideway recommendations" in upsetting tones like the above.

This is little/nothing to do with 'tone of posts' Puzzled

But further to your 'I come here for positive reasons' sentiment, weren't you the one who started the thread 'which ski resort have you been to once and would you never go back to' wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stoatsbrother wrote:
graeme, apart from people taking the mick out of the average blade/ski-board user - have you got any evidence for that?

to name a few subjects that attract the snobs on this forum, bootfitting, lessons, tour operator or diy, piste safety. the snowblade/skiboard thing is a perfect example though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and before people say i am wrong and misunderstanding things, this is my oppinion. i am basing my oppinion on reading peoples posts on this forum and conversations that i have had with other forum users
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting stuff here. For me, snobbery is more about attitude than equipment. What is superior/inferior all boils down to a common denominator-it's all a form of alpine consumption. So we're perhaps deluding ourselves to a certain extent if some of us think that one form of skiing is better than another. I like my blues, I like my reds, I like my blacks and I like my powder-they all give me pleasure of a varying kind.

Doubtless, it goes without saying that those who tend to prosletyse the most tend to be those who may not exactly live up to their billing-quite often the Brits!!!!
snow report
I saw a gaper on TV competing in the Women's Super G yesterday. Can't remember the name but she was Italian and there was definitely a gap between the top of her goggles and her helmet. Very Happy

And if that's the definition, I can't be one myself, I don't have a helmet or goggles.
ski holidays
Interesting article in The Times today by Sean Newsom (posts here sometimes), which perhaps highlights some of our prejudices/snobbery against other forms of sliding (even if we do not recognise or admit to it wink ), but after trying cross-country he admits his opinion has been changed Very Happy

'...... As a downhill skier and snowboarder, I have always looked upon cross country skiers as as the bottom-feeders of the winter sports world..... '
snow report
rayscoops, I've been on blades in a dome - they were fun. I'm sure they're great fun on a mountain as well given the right circumstances. For me the situation is a bit like me and boarding - I've done a few days and very much enjoyed it and could just about get around ok but I just get so much more out of skiing right now. I like skating on the flat on skis and can imagine that skating around in the clean mountain air in a snowy world (like the biathlon skiers go through but much much more slowly) could be tranquil and enjoyable and great exercise too. I ski on low-fat skis and enjoy them Shocked I think some are simply more snobby than others! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
graeme, do you define snobbery as when someone disagrees with you?
latest report
stoatsbrother, no not at all
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy