Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is a cycle helmet also ok for skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
down holme moss ive hit 62mph on my road bike
down an icy blue in avoraz ive been considerably quicker
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
torico wrote:
BTW I regularly ski at 60mph plus

So you're a WC downhiller too?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nope but 60mph is not that hard - been skiing for 30 years and am 36 years old -im alot slower now than I was 5 years ago though !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
torico wrote:
nope but 60mph is not that hard - been skiing for 30 years and am 36 years old -im alot slower now than I was 5 years ago though !

Think you might be surprised - had this conversation some time back with a real WC downhiller friend.
For example take a look at the womens Olympic downhill they were topping out at about 120kmh (75mph), and though Franzs/Dave Murray isn't the steepest downhill, they are top racers, on race skis, with speed suits, on a race prepared run doing very few turns.

anyway a bit of a distraction from the topic...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

So you're a WC downhiller too?

60 mph is approximately 96 kph. That is very fast for a recreational skier but not WC standard where you regularly see top speeds of 130+ kph.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
well I have been through numerous spead traps and also sky with my garmin ( which does post the occasional wrong result)I have skied a few WC pistes and some of them have been prepped for racing - there is no way I would go that fast on them as funnily enough the corners are quite tricky - however there are plenty of fast stretches of blue and red pistes where your spead is very high and not particularly difficult to get up to spead. imdont hknk imbeing macho about this I was just pointing out that skiing fast is alot easier than biking fast. I remember sean kelly saying that he hit 75mph coming down the joux plane into morzine - if you know that road/piste you would be gobsmacked by that spead - on skis you would be lucky to hit 25mph!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

anyway a bit of a distraction from the topic...

stuarth As ever, we've left that way behind Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ooo, that got a bit serious, then I guess differentiating from well-informed and ill-informed comment is indeed quite serious.

On the cold head/ears point, I would wear either a full face ballaclava or thin thermal beanie hat under the cycle lid.

Speed-wise, I've no way of knowing accurately but I doubt that I've ever exceeded 30 mph on skis (though this year I'm going to improve such a lot), whereas I can cycle around 22mph on the flat and have topped 50 with some gravitational help, so I'm sure my average speed is higher cycling than skiing.

My conclusion is that wearing my cycling lid would probably be just as effective as a 'proper' ski helmet......but, mainly for the sake of marital relations, I'm going to bow to convention and buy the latter.

Once again, thanks to everyone for the advice.

Phil C
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Phil Chris, then your conclusion - unless you had a full-face MTB helmet or a pisspot type - would almost certainly be wrong. The speed is not the issue, nor the fashion/look, it is the shape and the areas protected.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Besides marital relations, there're other drawbacks of cycling helmet. You might find the first time you fall, the 20-30 vents will be filled with snow, which would subsequently melt on your head!

I don't wear helmet so much for "safety". I tailor my skiing to achieve that.

I found helmets fantastic in keeping my head & ear warm!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The people cycling 45mph+ regularly amaze me. You need to remember that only a small portion of cycling is down hill where as in skiing (unless touring) all you are ever doing is going down hill. As such I am sure your average spped and time spent above 30mph is far higher whilst skiing than cycling.

I did a little internet housecleaning and 50mph + is incredibly quick on a bike and most pros will get quite scared at these speeds. One of the fastest ever decents during a road race was 72mph from a Saxo Bank racer.

One thing though for sure is that Phil would look like an utter retard in a cycling helmet along with the coldest head in the alps.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have found my Giro helmet very good, I have a Giro bike helmet too but the ski lid covers more of my head and has less ventilation (plus I can open/close the vents which is handy and I use it) and of course my goggles fit. I tried on loads before I found one comfortable and I've seen lots of Giro lids out there from kids to pros. It works in all temps quite well and the ear covers are removable.

Luckily the only dents on it are from airport handlers...

Colin.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh, my friends GPS clocked us at 75 kph on our boards, not terribly accurate but it was a clear indication of us being irresponsibly fast (and yay it was fun) but there is no way I've been that fast on a bike - to be fair I think I'd feel way more out of control an a bike at that speed but them I'm no demon on a bike.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just for my two cents....
I cycle 24+ miles everyday, I get to about a max of 30ish mph just on the flat roads into london on my road bike, down richmond park i've hit over 45mph. Now that's all calculated by my little wireless computer on my bike, calibrated to the wheels etc... from my own physical experiance on the bike compared with when i've skied i'm positive that i go faster when i've raced down ski runs, or at least must be hitting a simular pace.

Now i'd never dream of getting on my bike without a helmet, and having come off a number of times i've been very! thankful for the lid.

Do i own a ski helmet, no. But I'm starting to feel that this is just stupidity on my part. I've not been hurt ever in any of my trips to the slopes, however i've seen many serious accidents, and a few close shaves myself. I've seen people ski straight into rocks head first. I've had to race down to raise the alarm and it shook myself and my ski buddy up for the rest of the week having seen the snow turn red.

So, I suggesst that when you're learning, and after 4 weeks worth of skiing when you're starting to grow in confidance and pushing yourself onwards helmets are a must. I've spent the last few weeks looking to get he right fit and think you should always go to a store than the internet for these things. it's safty equipment afterall, you wouldn't buy your boots online would you? (I hope)
Here endith the lecture...probably a bit more than 2 cents sorry....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

My conclusion is that wearing my cycling lid would probably be just as effective as a 'proper' ski helmet......but, mainly for the sake of marital relations, I'm going to bow to convention and buy the latter

Thank the lordPhil Chris, . I think comprex had it right.
snow report
So conversely would I look like a complete **** if I wore my ski goggles with my bike helmet on my bike? Can't see a thing cycling in the snow!! wink
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

anne robinson. In a fluffy pink tutu. And neon green 'wig' boots. On snowblades.

That sounds utterly ubercool to me. Laughing

Indeed - she could be on her way to GateCrasher!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy