Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Chemmy the best?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
British gal skier ever I mean?

I was having this conversation with someone at work yesterday and I can't remember another British woman skier who has achieved such good consistent results over more than one ski discipline (i.e. downhill, GS, super G) before.

The fact that she's a babe too obviously adds to her merits. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
P.S. 13th place in a notoriously difficult Olympic downhill yesterday certainly deserves some praise. She may very well do better in the Combined and fast slalom events.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
She is in the modern era. Not sure about in the dim and distant past,
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree in the modern era she certainly is, also quite possibly best multi discipline Brit girl ever, what's sad is that I suspect if she had the sort of backing that her rivals get in terms of coaches, technicians and so forth then I believe she would be finishing with even better results
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gina Hathorn in the late 60's early 70's.

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/613.html?sector=AL&listid=&competitorid=23711&type=result&rec_start=0&limit=100
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, I'm not going to go on about something that has been covered elsewhere, but lack of support simply has to be holding all of our athletes back......

Best - yes. Fittest? Definitely!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, agree entirely. I wonder what sort of funding other equally minor interest sports in the UK get and where from.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chrisdavis, thanks. I'm a bit too young to have heard of her but looks like she had a really good career and just missed out on the medal in the Olympics.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah, now I was just on the phone to Lesley Beck who was top 10 World Cup Slalom in 1992 and second in the Telemark World cup in 1998, and who's British Champ results over the years have recently been overtaken by Chemmy, so she probably remains the winningest all-round Brit, as far as I know. She's put an informed rant about the Olympic coverage just here: http://www.fall-line.co.uk/news/olympic-coverage-sub-standard
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are there any male Brit racers that have been so consistantly well placed?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia wrote:
chrisdavis, thanks. I'm a bit too young to have heard of her but looks like she had a really good career and just missed out on the medal in the Olympics.

Me too, us young 'uns are good at research though wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Other minor sports can make limited funding go further, as they are generally a lot cheaper to do! Fencing gets very limited funding, but the circuit, kit and training cost a lot less than skiing - so it's relatively possible to self fund until you can qualify for funding...

Each World Cup event cost on average £600 (flights, hotels, entry), and you would need to do no more than 7 of them - so international costs would be say £4,200. Assume £500 of kit costs per year (heavy wear on lames, blades, shoes) - the average fencer would need less than this - the kit lasts 3-4 years minimum, bags and masks much longer. Training £300 for club, annually, add £1,000 for camps (extravagent). Admittedly that doesn't include taking a coach, but I coped better with no coach than a national coach who didn't know me too well! Add another £500 for domestic competitions (if you're doing well internationally, you don't need to worry about these!) and total is under £7,000.

I doubt that would get a skier to more than 1 race!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Randomsabreur, probably one ski race perhaps two but certainly no more

To stand a hope in hell of getting a good place in additition to the Racer themselves as a minimum they need a coach and a ski technician, then theres all the kit, multiple pairs of skis, all teh waxing and ski prep gear and so on, excess baggage charges will definately apply.

Top racers travel with a big entourage but probably as part of a team, so there may be several coaches or one main coach and one or more assistants, a couple of ski technicians, possibly a team doctor, almost certainly a team physio, perhaps a dietician/nutrisionist (sp?) and quite possibly one or two guys who's only job is to fetch and carry stuff (no point in the racer pulling muscles lugging kit is there), some of the bigger teams take 20-30mins just to unload all their kit, I know because I've watched them do so
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
She probably is because she's a serial underperformer... wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy